• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilians and flight jackets.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
About a week later there was a plate with Navy Wings on my desk! Why fight it? Besides, it drove my commanding officer crazy that I was sporting Navy Wings instead of USAF ones. And they were free.

I guess it's always OK to dream.......:D

Rebel652

pilot
I'm still waiting for my leather jacket over a year out of API. I guess I'll just have to buy one from E-bay, or stop by P-cola on the way to Jax and harass that supply guy. :icon_rage

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I'm still waiting for my leather jacket over a year out of API. I guess I'll just have to buy one from E-bay, or stop by P-cola on the way to Jax and harass that supply guy. :icon_rage

I hear there's some jackets going through San Diego every once in awhile...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
LOL! He was actually a JSTARS ABM (Air Battle Manager)... 'nuff said.
DORKS!

060213-F-2907c-237.JPG

web_030421-F-9528H-009.jpg

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
It seems to me that this guy falls under the "dont criticize someone when they're already damning themselves with their own actions" rule. There's nothing that can really be said to make him look worse. If the guy wants to wear a jacket...so what? He's obviously too far gone to begin with. You don't have to be a bona-fide Naval Aviator to spot an out-of-shape DBag in a leather jacket (or any million different examples wrt other professions). I say let the man wear his G1, and eventually, the poor karma associated with his actions will catch up to him.

Cheers,
Jon

Brett1

Banned
All joking aside, I have never even contemplated wearing a flight jacket for these very reasons. If I didnt earn it I am not wearing it. Now that is not to say that collecting something like this wouldnt be cool, especially if it has some historical relevance to a particular event or airframe but putting it on and walking around town would be gay. I saw many offenders in my days at ERAU though.......

Renegade One

None
Okay, my two cents after reading all of the above.
1. Military personnel in uniform: Regs are pretty specific and clear...leather jackets are to be worn by aviation designated personnel only. Pilots, NFOs, Flight surgeons, aircrew, aviation physiologists, etc. Got wings (the only exception being Aviation Supply Officers or Navy Parachutist qualified personnel...NOT aviation designations...but a qualification badges...)? Wear the leather jacket. I believe that also applies to "prior designated aviation personnel who are still authorized to wear the warfare device"...guys who went to law school and became JAGs, etc. But...didn't get your wings or had them pulled, or (more rarely) turned them in? Then hang the jacket lovingly in your closet and don't wear it in uniform. Not authorized anymore.
2. Nylon jackets are more problematical...can be issued to anyone as organizational clothing, but when I last paid attention (2002), they really weren't authorized with anything but flight clothing or a working uniform "in the spaces/flightline/ship", etc. Not appropriate for "out in town", any more than those working uniforms were.
3. Simply no rules apply to the civilian community. You would think a certain amount of "good sense" would apply to DoD/Navy civilian employees in the workplace, but I sorta agree with the "don't go there" comments above...unless the jackets are being worn in some way to discredit Naval aviation, which I gather is not the case.
4. As a former battlegroup Chief of Staff, for a number of SWO flag officers, it was always my duty (gulp) to politely inform the "new boss" that even though CAG gave him a leather flight jacket, he was not authorized to wear it. They were usually thankful for the vector that would keep them from setting a poor example and potentially embarrasing themselves. I always smiled that I spent "most days underway" in my blue coveralls, while my SWO bosses spent the time in their new flight suits. Past the last sea bouy, who cared?
5. "Enforcement" of the above is a leadership issue. I, as a VF squadron CO, would have been the guy to politely tell my AI that he was out of uniform...I wouldn't leave it up to his JO peers to square him away, although they would be correct to do so.

In my second career, I have developed an affinity for wearing a very nice USAF-style A2 leather jacket as a casual alternative to a suit or sport coat. So far no USAF guys have braced be up in the airport...but I don't wear any patches or nametags.

Yours in sartorial excellence, Spike

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
The only issue I've ever had with civies wearing flight jackets is when they believe that since it's a "Navy" flight jacket, permission is granted to wear aviator wings on the name tags. Same goes for A-2s, etc. I flew a warbird for a couple of summers to airshows, and a large number of owners thought since they owned a Navy plane (WWII), they are neccesarily allowed to wear Navy wings on their flight suit...with a 15 patches.

During one show (in SoCal), I left the WWII plane for 30 minutes to eat, and came back to find a gentleman in the cockpit, wiggling the stick, with my helmet on. When I confronted him, he said "This airplane says "U.S Marines, which means it belongs to the tax payers, of which I am one, and this is my right." I couldn't see straight enough to determine whether he was retarded or just that ignorant.

The public never ceases to amaze me.

B

Blutonski816

During one show (in SoCal), I left the WWII plane for 30 minutes to eat, and came back to find a gentleman in the cockpit, wiggling the stick, with my helmet on. When I confronted him, he said "This airplane says "U.S Marines, which means it belongs to the tax payers, of which I am one, and this is my right." I couldn't see straight enough to determine whether he was retarded or just that ignorant.

Flight jackets are one thing, but if he's wearing YOUR stuff & f*cking around in the cockpit...

Man, that's just stepping in someone else's cornflakes...