• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilians and flight jackets.

schwarti

Contributor
A few years back there was a kid on my campus who wore an "official" stargate uniform complete with a shoulder patch and some kind of rank. He wore it daily until we started saluting him, then he stopped.

That's lame. Everyone knows that you need to wear a Star TREK uniform to be cool.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....from what I'm told, they've always been made of nylon... even the VN era Issued ones but this is third-hand information...
Correct-O-Mundo. This is first-hand information.

Don't drop any cigarette ashes on 'em (we ALL smoked cigarettes in the ol' days :) -- or wanted to ... ) unless you wanted holes in your green flight jacket.

Renegade One

None
Oh, my. :eek: Most self-respecting Aviators avoided the coveralls all together. I'm sure you got some flak from the SWO daddies. While on CSG Staff, I wore either my flight suit or long sleeve wash Khakis.....I could not lower myself to wear SWO jammies.....I love my aviator jammies just too much. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr: I know you're busting my balls in a friendly manner...one of the hallmarks of a career in Naval aviation... but the younger crowd probably is owed the insight that, by the time I was a Carrier Strike Group Chief of Staff, my ego and my self-respect had long ago broken any linkage they undoubtedly once had to what I wore while underway. Added to that, I ran a staff composed largely of, and interfaced with hundreds of shipboard officers of, non-aviation designators who could not wear flight suits as a duty u/w uniform. Both the CO of the ship and I felt they were owed role models too...our sacrosanct "flight suit Fridays" notwithstanding. Plus...nothing I've ever worn as a duty uniform was as comfortable as SWO jammies...TINS. You might have cheated yourself an opportunity!

Alas, I have found no good "post active duty use" for the SWO jammies, but they still have a place in my closet. They saw me through many, many good days and better times.

V/R, Spike

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr: I know you're busting my balls in a friendly manner...one of the hallmarks of a career in Naval aviation... but the younger crowd probably is owed the insight that, by the time I was a Carrier Strike Group Chief of Staff, my ego and my self-respect had long ago broken any linkage they undoubtedly once had to what I wore while underway. Added to that, I ran a staff composed largely of, and interfaced with hundreds of shipboard officers of, non-aviation designators who could not wear flight suits as a duty u/w uniform. Both the CO of the ship and I felt they were owed role models too...our sacrosanct "flight suit Fridays" notwithstanding. Plus...nothing I've ever worn as a duty uniform was as comfortable as SWO jammies...TINS. You might have cheated yourself an opportunity!

Alas, I have found no good "post active duty use" for the SWO jammies, but they still have a place in my closet. They saw me through many, many good days and better times.

V/R, Spike

Just busting your balls, SIR! I guess the navy Carrier Strike Group Staff has evolved or maybe it's a west-coast/east-coast thing. I don't know. On our staff, anyone with wings could wear a bag, except when having dinner with the big boss, then it's clean long-sleeve wash khaki.

On a side note, you could always use your SWO jammies to work on your vehicle, etc...but I'm sure you're neighbors might give you strange looks with all the flair on the jammies, unless, of course, you remove all the devices.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd just point out that there probably is a difference between "what people get away with...including leaders" and what is really "authorized for wear". Don't believe the WEPs were EVER made of anything but nylon (e.g., never made in NOMEX)...since they were actually the upper half of an extreme cold-weather outfit. Brown pebble grain roper boots used to be worn too, although they were never authorized either. You get my point. Crud, you can wear a NASCAR jacket in your ready room if you want, but it's not an authorized piece of uniform clothing...or issued as a piece of authorized flight equipment.

The older I got, the more I realized that a big part of my job was enforcing standards and setting the right example. Once I figured that out, getting dressed became a lot easier, choice-wise.
V/R, Spike

Renegade One is on the money. After I got off my FAT BUTT, I looked up the US Navy Uniform Regulations Chapter 6 and under section 6803 it discusses Flight Clothing. It specifically talks about "CWU-45/P Winter Flyers Jacket, CWU-36/P Summer Flyers Jacket, Multi-Climate Fleece Jacket, Climate Fleece Vest, Multi-Climate Shell Jacket" and the "Brown Leather Jacket". So it appears that the WEP G8 is out of the question.

Something that looks somewhat similar to the WEP G8 is the Multi-Climate Shell Jacket. Looks like a nice jacket. They are fairly new and REALLY expen$ive because they are part of the Multi-Climate Protection System.

Anyone out there have one of these new jackets and are they issuing these systems? Thanks.

-ea6bflyr ;)

rrpilot

Wow...after reading this thread I kinda feel like a douche...I've been lurking here awhile, my father was in HS-11 aboard USS Wasp and that instilled in me quite a love for Naval Aviation.
So a few years ago I purchased a flight jacket with a USS Wasp patch, I have been asked before if that was my ship, the poor guy who asks that usually gets a history of the Wasp and my dad...BTW I have civilian wings on my jacket as per the pic.
So I never thought it was such an issue, I'm considering removing the patch to avoid any insult or appearance that I'm skeeterman jr. , any suggestions?:confused:
n724875577446137478.jpg

Just realized that this pic is an old one without the civi wings....lol

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nah, you're good to go...it's an excuse to brag on your dad. I assume that's the WWII-era Wasp, right?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
rrpilot,
I'll echo Fester and say that you have some relationship to the patch and you are a far cry from ol' Skeeterman, so wear it proudly! BTW, the jacket looks nice. Fly safe.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jtmedli

pilot
Wow...after reading this thread I kinda feel like a douche...I've been lurking here awhile, my father was in HS-11 aboard USS Wasp and that instilled in me quite a love for Naval Aviation.
So a few years ago I purchased a flight jacket with a USS Wasp patch, I have been asked before if that was my ship, the poor guy who asks that usually gets a history of the Wasp and my dad...BTW I have civilian wings on my jacket as per the pic.
So I never thought it was such an issue, I'm considering removing the patch to avoid any insult or appearance that I'm skeeterman jr. , any suggestions?:confused:
n724875577446137478.jpg

Just realized that this pic is an old one without the civi wings....lol

I'm no NA yet, but I think it's great that you have an excuse to brag on your pops. More people should be so proud!!

Bevo16

pilot
Nah, you're good to go...it's an excuse to brag on your dad. I assume that's the WWII-era Wasp, right?

That is CV/CVA/CVS-18. This girl:

CVCARD.JPG

My dad also cruised on her back in the mid 60's with VS-28. My dad still wears his flight jacket with the same USS Wasp patch, A VS-28 patch, "Task Group Bravo" patch, and an air group patch with a sample of the 4 squadrons that were on board, HS-11 being the helo rep.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I guess I'll ask for the group's opinion on this one. I have a green Nomex flight jacket that was issued to me when I was an aircrewman. I still have my squadron name tag, squadron patch, airwing patch and ship patches for Independance and Forrestal (deployed on both). My jacket is getting kind of worse for wear and I was thinking about buying a leather flight jacket and transferring my tag and patches to it. Any gripes?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I'll ask for the group's opinion on this one. I have a green Nomex flight jacket that was issued to me when I was an aircrewman. I still have my squadron name tag, squadron patch, airwing patch and ship patches for Independance and Forrestal (deployed on both). My jacket is getting kind of worse for wear and I was thinking about buying a leather flight jacket and transferring my tag and patches to it. Any gripes?

Didn't you get a Navy Leather jacket issued? Either way, you earned it, wear it.

-ea6bflyr ;)