• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels/T-Birds grounded, er, I mean, season cancelled.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As great a City and military friendly as it once was, San Francisco no longer deserves any military display of any kind. I was in a squadron home-ported in Moffett/Alameda for 4 JO years in the late '50s/early '60s'... it was heaven. Today, the 'City' is still beautiful, but the populace have lost their collective minds!:(
BzB

I know my old man had a similar experience during the same timeframe. Left for Reserves and Whidbey Island a few years before the anti-war movement got underway. I can imagine that it would have been a fantastic place to be stationed...such a nice area crazies notwithstanding.

As for SD, I actually found the area in general to be a lot more supportive of the military than I had expected. Granted I lived in Oceanside, which is mainly populated by Marines and close enough to Orange County to have a lot of its conservative outlook, but I found the same to be generally true in other areas. It seemed like even the folks with the most outwardly non-military appearance generally had friends and family who were serving or had served, and some of the most unexpected folks would go out of their way to show support. Of course that was only my personal experience and I don't doubt that there were a lot of folks that weren't happy having us in the area. I know noise was a constant issue at Miramar, as much or more than it is here at Oceana.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know my old man had a similar experience during the same timeframe. Left for Reserves and Whidbey Island a few years before the anti-war movement got underway. I can imagine that it would have been a fantastic place to be stationed...such a nice area crazies notwithstanding.
Seems weird today, but one of the finest hustle spots back then... was to troll the coed beer halls just off the UC Berekeley campus in SDBs! Even the ugly dudes like BzB couldn't miss...:D

Anyone crazy enough to try that ever since the late '60s, would most likely have been returned home in a body bag.:eek: What a shame!
BzB

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
At some bars- Yes. The greater Bay Area is extremely liberal as compared to what it was in the 50's and 60's. I grew up there and witnessed the changes. In fact the folks that "loved you" and bought you drinks are by far the minority. Of the "liberal/progressives" that bought you drinks- those are likely the ones that publicly support the MIL but among their political friends privately- they scorn the MIL for only hiring white trash and minorities that can't get jobs in our MIL Industrial Complex/greedy corporate society, etc.. I've been a member of both parties at different times of my life and witnessed this phenomena in SF and Marin many times.

I too enjoy the Bay Area folks that truly understand why we have our freedoms and appreciate those that contribute to that ongoing sacrifice but don't kid your self. They are far more bay area residents that despise the MIL and everything that it represents.

The sequestration stuff is political posturing. I hope it ends sooner than later. The Bay Area always makes for great Blue Angel photographic opportunities. Although with the lack of flight hours, I hope they don't attempt the formations with 50 foot wing tip to canopy separation.

My whole family is from the Bay Area and I've spent a significant amount of time in and around San Francisco. I'd have to say your perception is wildly inaccurate and borders on caricature. I'll concede there is a vocal minority in the area who are rabidly anti-military, but the majority are--shockingly!-normal Americans living an working in a socially progressive city.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

exNavyOffRec

Seems weird today, but one of the finest hustle spots back then... was to troll the coed beer halls just off the UC Berekeley campus in SDBs! Even the ugly dudes like BzB couldn't miss...:D

Anyone crazy enough to try that ever since the late '60s, would most likely have been returned home in a body bag.:eek: What a shame!
BzB

I have had a mixed experience, I compare it to a woman on psych meds and off psych meds.

I have had a blast during fleet week, free drinks and such, if I was single there would have been more fun!

I have been looked at with disgust not during fleet week, and a friend has been spit on in SF.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey BzB - Not all is lost. At least the A-4 still resides outside of Alameda's Encinal High School, and their sports teams are called the "Jets."

View attachment 12192
Hey Cat, that tough little Skyhawk at Encinal High, has come a long way back from the infamous crane collapse in June 2011. They originally that it was beyond repair, but the aviation enthusiast volunteers did sterling work in an old warehouse, and she's back guarding the EHS campus!:)
hawk v crane-2.jpg
BzB

HuggyU2

None
My whole family is from the Bay Area and I've spent a significant amount of time in and around San Francisco. I'd have to say your perception is wildly inaccurate and borders on caricature. I'll concede there is a vocal minority in the area who are rabidly anti-military, but the majority are--shockingly!-normal Americans living an working in a socially progressive city.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.
As an "outsider", this is good to know.
I would say,... the "pro-military" crowd should work harder to get more positive press in support of Fleet Week.
We all know "the other side" garners plenty of attention.

In any case, I'm glad to hear a Bay Area native posting this.

phrogpilot73

You know, I can do math. Maybe the Generals/Admirals and Politicians think I can't, but I can. It seems to me we've already likely blown past the "cuts" that had to be made, seeing as has they weren't cuts, but just reductions in projected spending. If everyone in the country did our household budgets this way, no one in the country would be able to maintain a security clearance, because we will have declared bankruptcy multiple times.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
You know, I can do math. Maybe the Generals/Admirals and Politicians think I can't, but I can. It seems to me we've already likely blown past the "cuts" that had to be made, seeing as has they weren't cuts, but just reductions in projected spending. If everyone in the country did our household budgets this way, no one in the country would be able to maintain a security clearance, because we will have declared bankruptcy multiple times.
Ain't that the truth!

GroundPounder

Stupid questions, based solely on curiosity.

What happens to the guys on the team now? Assuming that they fly next year, do they stay on an extra year, and if so does that screw them all up as far career progression? At any rate, it seems that either the current members will get the shaft, or those that would be in their years of eligibility will lose out on the chance to be selected.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Stupid questions, based solely on curiosity.

What happens to the guys on the team now? Assuming that they fly next year, do they stay on an extra year, and if so does that screw them all up as far career progression? At any rate, it seems that either the current members will get the shaft, or those that would be in their years of eligibility will lose out on the chance to be selected.

They'll rotate at their PRD and continue on their respective career paths most likely.