• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels/T-Birds grounded, er, I mean, season cancelled.

mtaylor

Meatgazer
Bummer. Thanks for sharing though.
No one wants to cut something like the Angels but I guess in times like these they're seen as not quite as necessary as other aspects of the budget.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I thought something might be up considering how two weeks ago they were practicing on a tuesday, but today was strangely quiet at KNPA.

Renegade One

None
Hey…let's "look on the bright side" and "think outside the box":

1. The NFDS is a fully-formed, well-manned F/A-18 squadron that has:
A. At any one time, 15-17 strike fighters assigned, (mostly As and Cs, with several Ds…think FAC/A) ALL of which (or so the American public has been told for decades…) can "be returned to fleet configuration within 72 hours". (Ahem…Boeing…if you're listening…"Now's your time!")
B. Two C-130 aircraft assigned…in-flight refuelers and LOG haulers…so I'd expect they can "self TRANSPAC"…or nearly so.
C. A great existing cadre of DHs and middle-grade fleet-experienced pilots and top-notch ground personnel.

2. Assign a reinforcement cadre of other experienced folks and some CAT A JOs and flesh-out the required manning to support radars, weapons systems, ordnance, etc., and re-designate as VFAC-46 (for "composite", and a head-nod to their establishment in 1946?)

3. So…how about we "Press to Test" and mobilize/man/quick-qualify this stellar organization into a "possible pump" asset to the Korean peninsula?

The movie script is writing itself…there's butter…actual butter…coming out of my keyboard here. ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So…how about we "Press to Test" and mobilize/man/quick-qualify this stellar organization into a "possible pump" asset to the Korean peninsula?

The movie script is writing itself…there's butter…actual butter…coming out of my keyboard here. ;)
Their next show could be a Blue Angel supersonic diamond low flyby over KJU's Pyongyang palace (heading for "feet wet")!:eek:
KJU Leader.jpg
BzB

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
It's sad. . .but I think Big Navy got one right.

When fleet squadrons don't have enough hours to make minimum T+R requirements at home and deployed squadrons have to drop operational missions due solely to budget cuts, PR flights ought to be cut, too.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always thought the Blues were the greatest. Still do. I even chased them once upon a time.

However when I was a newly designated and naïve RAG F-4 student, I listened to an instructor rail against the Blues. His point was that there was a war going on, the Navy was short on F-4s not to mention their men and equipment that was much needed in SEA.

I was shocked! But it did temper my perspective, both then and now.

jtmedli

pilot
I always thought the Blues were the greatest. Still do. I even chased them once upon a time.

However when I was a newly designated and naïve RAG F-4 student, I listened to an instructor rail against the Blues. His point was that there was a war going on, the Navy was short on F-4s not to mention their men and equipment that was much needed in SEA.

I was shocked! But it did temper my perspective, both then and now.

Agreed. The first emotion is to be a little upset, but one has to remember that entire CVWs are being shutdown and fleet aviators are being grounded (which will probably screw them in the long run in one way or another). No sense in putting on the "everything's fine" face for the airshow circuit.

HuggyU2

None
Yes, as of now they will continue to practice for when the budget crisis is resolved.
I'm pretty sure that is not the case.
They will have 11 hours per month of flying, and will utilize those hours to do PA, build maintain/relationships, etc...
As for staying proficient for demos, don't expect anything until they return to El Centro.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I'm pretty sure that is not the case.
They will have 11 hours per month of flying, and will utilize those hours to do PA, build maintain/relationships, etc...
As for staying proficient for demos, don't expect anything until they return to El Centro.

From the article.
"The Navy said the Blue Angels will continue to train at their base in Pensacola, Florida, for when the budget crunch ends."

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant

1. The NFDS is a fully-formed, well-manned F/A-18 squadron that has:
A. At any one time, 15-17 strike fighters assigned, (mostly As and Cs, with several Ds…think FAC/A) ALL of which (or so the American public has been told for decades…) can "be returned to fleet configuration within 72 hours". (Ahem…Boeing…if you're listening…"Now's your time!")
B. Two C-130 aircraft assigned…in-flight refuelers and LOG haulers…so I'd expect they can "self TRANSPAC"…or nearly so.
C. A great existing cadre of DHs and middle-grade fleet-experienced pilots and top-notch ground personnel.

2. Assign a reinforcement cadre of other experienced folks and some CAT A JOs and flesh-out the required manning to support radars, weapons systems, ordnance, etc., and re-designate as VFAC-46 (for "composite", and a head-nod to their establishment in 1946?)

3. So…how about we "Press to Test" and mobilize/man/quick-qualify this stellar organization into a "possible pump" asset to the Korean peninsula?

You READ MY MIND!

Bring back the Satan's Kittens!