• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels/T-Birds grounded, er, I mean, season cancelled.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stupid questions, based solely on curiosity.

What happens to the guys on the team now? Assuming that they fly next year, do they stay on an extra year, and if so does that screw them all up as far career progression? At any rate, it seems that either the current members will get the shaft, or those that would be in their years of eligibility will lose out on the chance to be selected.
With the exception of the Blue Angel "Boss" during Tailhook '91, I don't know of any Blue Angel whose career has not been greatly enhanced after a successful BA tour, no one will get 'screwed'! As far as the future of the present team members, it's pretty much up on the air... much hinging on the present and future fallout from the sequestration FIASCO!:(
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They'll rotate at their PRD and continue on their respective career paths most likely.

Yeah, I'd agree. I'm sure their logbooks will suffer a little, as well as missing some of the experience of being a Blue, but PERS isn't going to let them go out to pasture. I'd guess that if anything, the requirement for them to stay on career timeline will be the only thing that really "screws" them. Not that I know anything about the Blues though....just presuming here

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the exception of the Blue Angel "Boss" during Tailhook '91, I don't know of any Blue Angel whose career has not been greatly enhanced after a successful BA tour, no one will get 'screwed'! As far as the future of the present team members, it's pretty much up on the air... much hinging on the present and future fallout from the sequestration FIASCO!:(
BzB
BZB,
There were a few fallen BAs that didn't come away unscathed; to wit: 2000 Marine Corps Officer and 2008 Naval Officer that were fired for inappropriate relationships.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BZB,
There were a few fallen BAs that didn't come away unscathed; to wit: 2000 Marine Corps Officer and 2008 Naval Officer that were fired for inappropriate relationships.
OMG, how could anyone in possession of their senses, blow probably the most golden, career enhancing, and sought after assignment in Naval Aviation?:(
BzB

Renegade One

None
OMG, how could anyone in possession of their senses, blow probably the most golden, career enhancing, and sought after assignment in Naval Aviation?:(
BzB
Thinking with the little head instead of the big head? "Rock Star" mentality? Hell, I don't know…but they seem to be doing way better, statistically, then COs in various communities...

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Dad graduated from there in '67.
I bet your Dad/Grandpop had a hand in getting that Skyhawk for EHS? I loved Alameda during my 2 tours (6 yrs.) based or home-ported there (VA-94 & RANGER/CONSTELLATION).:)
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
BzB

Lots of people do something other than fly P-3s, BzB. It's ok, no one's perfect.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm going to throw a log on the inter-service rivalry fire... I saw this on another website. I have no way of telling if it is true or not. Personally I think not but I can see it happening this way.

Picked up on the airshow circuit, supported by sources in P'cola. The "Blue angles" were going to fly their scheduled airshow events this summer. The cost is minimal because all fuel, hotels, etc are picked up by the air show promoters. The Navy believes that the US public is more and more separated from the military and going to non-militarty communities is an important mission. They not only fly at their assigned cites, they visit schools hold seminars, and provide a much greater exposure to the country of who is the Navy. Anyway the Birds had cancelled their schedule, and a certain high ranking USAF General thought it would look bad if the "Blues" flew and 'Birds" did not", so DOD, not the Navy canceled the "Blues". Talk about school boy antics!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Part of it is perception-based, but the notion that the airshow promoters are "picking up the tab" is ignorant of the various costs of operating a squadron of aircraft. Fuel and hotels are a drop in the bucket. BL: The quoted author has no idea what he's talking about.