• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels/T-Birds grounded, er, I mean, season cancelled.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Are they canceling the NAS air shows?

Depends on the Air Station. Some may elect to continue with a scaled down show using civie and local units.

The Blues will also do fly-ins to Air Stations to do static display, media and other type events. They still are going to fly (single ship) they just don't have the money to maintain proficiency for their show.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It's sad. . .but I think Big Navy got one right.

When fleet squadrons don't have enough hours to make minimum T+R requirements at home and deployed squadrons have to drop operational missions due solely to budget cuts, PR flights ought to be cut, too.

It's not just PR, the Blues are a huge re recruiting tool. How many folks saw the Blues as a kids, dreamed of doing that are now members of this board??? I am.

Not saying it was wrong to cancel the season, I'm just saying the Blues do provide a benefit for Big Navy besides PR.

Fallonflyr

pilot
When the average civilian hears that pilots in gun squadrons don't have money to fly or train they don't care. But when they can't take little Johnny to see the Blues, they call their useless congressman and tell him to do his job....the Navy is making a point.

Renegade One

None
You READ MY MIND!

Their next show could be a Blue Angel supersonic diamond low flyby over KJU's Pyongyang palace (heading for "feet wet")!
BzB

Looks like it's been done before…here's an episode of the 1950's TV show "The Blue Angels' which has "The Team" ordered to combat in Korea flying their Blue Angel Cougars…worth the whole 23 minutes with a cool adult beverage, but the good stuff starts at about 16:00:

Then, en route to the Paris Air Show in F-11's, the Team is again embarked, and this time tasked with a photo-recce mission over Lebanon and the road to Syria…for which they use some of BzBs A-4s for the mission:
!

What's really strange is that here we are…60 years later…and the same "hot spots" are still hot...

Thanks to wlawr005 and jmcquate for posting these in "The Great Constantly Changing Video Thread".

HuggyU2

None
Love that video!
Especially the Blues' signal for an emergency (at 19:02). I plan to use that signal on my next emergency at the home field.
Not sure the EPA will like me leaving the fuel dumps open, but too bad.

JackyB

Whenever Govt. wants to showcase the impact of budget reductions, they always choose the public's favorite programs.
Whether it is police or fireman at the local level or highly visible programs at the state level, it is all designed to make the public "suffer". For example: close the White House to school kids. VPOTUS AND POTUS spend more on fund raising trips and parties at the White House or trips to Paris then many of the public friendly programs cost.

Many of you know where the Govt. could cut without any public inconvenience. The sequester will be blamed for everything from slow mail to rising gas prices.......in short WHAT A CROCK!

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Are they canceling the NAS air shows?

Oceana cancelled yesterday right after the Blues announcement, Pax River cancelled today from what I've read. The list of cancelled shows is just about longer than the list of shows that will press on. NAS Corpus Christi, Barksdale AFB, MCAS Beaufort, Cleveland, Brunswick, ME, St. Cloud Air Show, and Offutt AFB have all cancelled shows since March 1st. All in all the "cuts" make sense - if you are talking about parking ships and air wings you can't spend the money on shows. Flip side is this situation shouldn't have occurred in the first place. The air show biz is getting a huge wake up call as well. Many shows relied too much on the DoD providing assests - both flying and static. Granted they are a big draw to the average Joe Citizen, but these shows should also be selling aviation in general not just the mil side of the house. There are many many civilian performers who can provide a great day of entertainment. Sure you'll miss the jet noise but you would still have a show to see. It's a shame really.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm assuming with no time to practice, and no air shows to go to, the Blues homecoming on P-Cola beach is ixnayed.

Dammit, now I'll have to find another reason to get belligerent and scream 'Merrica in october.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Granted they are a big draw to the average Joe Citizen, but these shows should also be selling aviation in general not just the mil side of the house. There are many many civilian performers who can provide a great day of entertainment. Sure you'll miss the jet noise but you would still have a show to see. It's a shame really.

True!

I'm assuming with no time to practice, and no air shows to go to, the Blues homecoming on P-Cola beach is ixnayed.

Already a done deal (press release about it was just yesterday afternoon): Blue Angels' 2013 season officially over

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Posted on FB today by the International Council of Air Shows - updated list of cancelled shows:

Air shows previously scheduled for the 2013 air show season that have cancelled include Luke AFB in Arizona (March 16-17); Tyndall AFB in Florida (April 6-7); MacDill AFB in Florida (April 6-7); NAS Corpus Christi in Texas (April 13-14); Westmoreland County Air Show in Pennsylvania (April 27-28); MCAS Beaufort Air Show in South Carolina (April 27-28); Langley AFB in Virginia (May 3-5); Sheppard AFB in Texas (May 4-5); Dyess Big Country AirFest in Abilene, Texas (May 4-5); Defenders of Liberty Air Show at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana (May 4-5); Maxwell AFB in Alabama (May 11-12); Thunder over the Blue Ridge in West Virginia (May 11-12); 50th Anniversary Air Show in Jackson, Mississippi (May 11-12); Seymour-Johnson AFB in North Carolina (May 18-19); Fairchild AFB in Washington (May 18-19); Lynchburg Regional Air Show in Virginia (May 25-26); Rochester International Air Show in New York (June 1-2); Dakota Thunder Air Show at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota (June 8); Charleston AFB in South Carolina (June 8); Indianapolis Air Show in Indiana (June 14-16); Myrtle Beach Air Show in South Carolina (June 28-30); South Shore Air Show in Gary, Indiana (July 12-14); Mountain Madness Air Show in Kalispell, Montana (July 20-21); Great Minnesota Air Show in St. Cloud (July 20-21); Binghamton Airshow in New York (August 9-10); Wings Over Vermont Air Show in Burlington (August 10-11); Dover AFB in Delaware (August 23-25); Offutt AFB in Nebraska (August 24-25); Hickam AFB Open House in Hawaii (August 24-25); Cleveland National Air Show (September 7-9); Great State of Maine Air Show 2013 (September 14-15); Joint Base San Antonio (Randolph) in Texas (November 2-3), and Aviation Nation at Nellis AFB in Nevada (November 9-10).

jmcquate

Contributor
Oceana cancelled yesterday right after the Blues announcement, Pax River cancelled today from what I've read. The list of cancelled shows is just about longer than the list of shows that will press on. NAS Corpus Christi, Barksdale AFB, MCAS Beaufort, Cleveland, Brunswick, ME, St. Cloud Air Show, and Offutt AFB have all cancelled shows since March 1st. All in all the "cuts" make sense - if you are talking about parking ships and air wings you can't spend the money on shows. Flip side is this situation shouldn't have occurred in the first place. The air show biz is getting a huge wake up call as well. Many shows relied too much on the DoD providing assests - both flying and static. Granted they are a big draw to the average Joe Citizen, but these shows should also be selling aviation in general not just the mil side of the house. There are many many civilian performers who can provide a great day of entertainment. Sure you'll miss the jet noise but you would still have a show to see. It's a shame really.
Those were the two I was going to see this year. This will put a dent into the finances of the civilian warbird community as well. I bet it will put Snort out of business.