• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So the current uniform regs for flight suits green/tan are basically a garrison cap, a set of a sewn on shoulder ranks, patches of - one American flag or Navy Jack on the left shoulder, one leather or cloth squadron name tag with crest or warfare device on the left breast, one squadron patch on the right breast, and one right shoulder patch intended for weapons schools, cotton black/tan shirt, cotton underwear, cotton or wool green or white socks, and brown or black flight boots for E-7 and above and E-6 and below respectively. What would you change, if you were in command of NAVAIR's uniform board?

Is "nothing" an acceptable answer?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So the current uniform regs for flight suits green/tan are basically a garrison cap, a set of a sewn on shoulder ranks, patches of - one American flag or Navy Jack on the left shoulder, one leather or cloth squadron name tag with crest or warfare device on the left breast, one squadron patch on the right breast, and one right shoulder patch intended for weapons schools, cotton black/tan shirt, cotton underwear, cotton or wool green or white socks, and brown or black flight boots for E-7 and above and E-6 and below respectively. What would you change, if you were in command of NAVAIR's uniform board?
I think its about as good as it gets right now - A mix of utility, tradition and military smartness. I especially like the wave of embroidered flight suits that are the norm now for daily wear in squadron spaces. Officers come to work in their flight suits - as it should be. The Enlisted side seems to have taken ownership of the two piece ensemble - although thats just an observation on my part - probably not universal it looks sharp and better than the dungaree looking prisoner uniforms.

I look at my old squadron's insta page and see what the Wardroom has settled on for daily wear - and I think - "that looks awesome". So much better than when we had the sad culture of XO's enforcing mandatory wear of polyester khaki uniforms if you weren't getting ready to brief and our flight suits looked like crap - wrinkled, stained, with locally made stamped leather name-tags and Velcro patches.

You guys have it good - I'm jealous. Looking like an aviator is one of the best parts of this business. How you look matters. As military pilots we are the elite, Knights of The Air, we should look like it. We forgot that in the 70's - 90's I think - with exception of some of the pointy nose types. Now we did have aviation greens... lol.

Last edited:

Birdbrain

pilot
Wouldn’t change anything about the flight suit, but I’d kill for the Navy to go back to the old green nomex jacket. The new ones they have been issuing look more like you’re wearing an oversized green burlap sack than a jacket...
You mean the shiny one? I agree.

Birdbrain

pilot
Is "nothing" an acceptable answer?
Perfectly.

I think its about as good as it gets right now - A mix of utility, tradition and military smartness. I especially like the wave of embroidered flight suits that are the norm now for daily wear in squadron spaces. Officers come to work in their flight suits - as it should be. The Enlisted side seems to have taken ownership of the two piece ensemble - although thats just an observation on my part - probably not universal it looks sharp and better than the dungaree looking prisoner uniforms.

I look at my old squadron's insta page and see what the Wardroom has settled on for daily wear - and I think - "that looks awesome". So much better than when we had the sad culture of XO's enforcing mandatory wear of polyester khaki uniforms if you weren't getting ready to brief and our flight suits looked like crap - wrinkled, stained, with locally made stamped leather name-tags and Velcro patches.

You guys have it good - I'm jealous. Looking like an aviator is one of the best parts of this business. How you look matters. As military pilots we are the elite, Knights of The Air, we should look like it. We forgot that in the 70's - 90's I think - with exception of some of the pointy nose types. Now we did have aviation greens... lol.
You would know better than me, Sir. You remember times that I don't. This is normal for me. I like the Flight Suit as a uniform as is, I really can't think of anything to take away or add that would improve it I was merely paneling the "audience".

The embroidered ones with the ones with squadron colors, especially with the colored panels sewn onto the leghole zippers, look awesome.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
If I could redesign anything - it would be the leg pockets on the flight suit - wish they were just an inch higher. Anything you put in the current design usually ends up banging against your knees when walking.

I also wish we could have the mini wings on the garrison covers (vice officers crest) back. Was in regulation up until about a decade ago, although I can't say I ever saw anyone wear it. Not sure I would most days, but would be fun for the SH days or something.

But yeah, flight suits and the current rules around them are good.

Last edited:

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I wouldn't change much, but I would enforce no PVC patches. If its not embroidered, its looks like trash, and too Air Force-y.

I think I would also get rid of the shroud cutter pocket, I see no practical purpose, even as a MPR guy with no G-suit to strap on.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None

View attachment 26759
Big fan of those shit hots. I like ours, but we don't have anything on the arms (i.e. a flag), and the name colors are too hard to read. Hoping I can change that as time in squadron progresses.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wouldn't change much, but I would enforce no PVC patches. If its not embroidered, its looks like trash, and too Air Force-y.

I think I would also get rid of the shroud cutter pocket, I see no practical purpose, even as a MPR guy with no G-suit to strap on.

The Marines both disagree with your first statement, and would gladly facilitate the second statement......

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I actually really dig the PVC patches these days. Last long, age well, and allows the manufacturer to make some really precise writing and designs. I still like the classic look and feel of the embroidered, but the PVC really allows for some designs that weren't possible (believe me... our COVID Patch and Survivor patches could not have been done on embroidery... :D)