• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Was in regulation up until about a decade ago, although I can't say I ever saw anyone wear it.

There was a RIO that would wear it at UF after I commissioned. It was unique, so it looked sharp. Not sure if it would be as cool if everyone was doing it though. But it would be a nice bit of tradition.

I think I would also get rid of the shroud cutter pocket, I see no practical purpose

I always kept a 2-cell flash light in there. Super easy to get to when sitting, even with the annoying CMU-33 leg straps. I really wish I had that pocket now, as I have to keep my flash light in my left hand (pocket pool) pocket which isn't very secure and wears out the pocket liner.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@Birdbrain The great standardization of 2011-2013 ended up pretty well I'd say. I wouldn't change anything about the current flight suit regs in terms of how they can be worn, with a small exception for cloth epaulets vs sewn on rank. Could easily sanitize for combat, would be more visible from a distance, and looks more "naval".

That being said, I would enshrine them as a working uniform/NWU equivalent in all forms and stop lower leaders from banning them. Flight suit hate is strong outside CNAF commands and they all want to treat it like coveralls. Everyone with wings earned the right to wear a flight suit and shouldn't have to get into rhetorical wars with SWOs about it. While I generally fall under the "be careful what you wish for" mantra, I struggle to see a downside to this.

There should probably be some standardization of two-piece flight suits put out, but given the pointy-nose centric nature of CNAF/CNAL, I doubt we'll see it.

taxi1

pilot
So the current uniform regs for flight suits green/tan are basically a garrison cap, a set of a sewn on shoulder ranks, patches of - one American flag or Navy Jack on the left shoulder, one leather or cloth squadron name tag with crest or warfare device on the left breast, one squadron patch on the right breast, and one right shoulder patch intended for weapons schools, cotton black/tan shirt, cotton underwear, cotton or wool green or white socks, and brown or black flight boots for E-7 and above and E-6 and below respectively. What would you change, if you were in command of NAVAIR's uniform board?
I know it is absolute total heresy for the hands-in-pocket police, but when I had custom green and tan flightsuits made (for size), I had them made with front pockets. Those things are awesome. Still works fine with a harness and what-not when empty.

pockets-front-trouser.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm a big fan of the hand pockets now that I have them. I just wish the rest of my uniform was more practical. I may see if I can order a different cut from G&B through my company that's more like the military issued cut. I think I've seen a Med Crew with a set and I found them online, it's just a matter of getting the order lady to understand why I want something different.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm a big fan of the hand pockets now that I have them. I just wish the rest of my uniform was more practical. I may see if I can order a different cut from G&B through my company that's more like the military issued cut. I think I've seen a Med Crew with a set and I found them online, it's just a matter of getting the order lady to understand why I want something different.
Complement either her nails or her shoes...or both...you'll get your flight suit.