• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

Renegade One

None
The RN makes it look awesome - I saw a few dudes try the soft shoulder boards from the white SDB shirt on the blue flight suit - it looked dorky and there was a fair amount of JOPA shaming as a result. I'd love to see USN adopt something like the RN and Canadians...

View attachment 26749View attachment 26750
If the Navy MANDATED those, most folks would have a major cow. RN doesn't, I don't think, have any form of collar devices to use in lieu of the above, but I'm guessing some of them they wish they had. I'd file this under "Grass Isn't Always Greener". Caveat: Except for the whole drinkie-poo in the wardroom thingie. THAT's greener...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If the Navy MANDATED those, most folks would have a major cow. RN doesn't, I don't think, have any form of collar devices to use in lieu of the above, but I'm guessing some of them they wish they had. I'd file this under "Grass Isn't Always Greener". Caveat: Except for the whole drinkie-poo in the wardroom thingie. THAT's greener...

Having worked with a Brit Deputy CDRE, Royal Navy and Aussie LNOs, and spent some time underway with the Brits, they fucking get it. Their uniforms are sensical (working and dress), they take the job seriously, and they know how to party.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When did the navy start sewing rank on the shoulders of flight suits? It wasn’t normal back in the late 80’s, early 90’s.
It happened during the Desert Shield/Storm. All the other services were pissed off they couldn't tell the Navy guys rank without looking at the name tags.

The Marines added the U.S. Marines and name strips about that time for the same reason. The other services wanted them to add rank to their flight suits too but they successfully resisted that one. They used the argument that if shot down, it provided unnecessary information to their capturers.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When did the navy start sewing rank on the shoulders of flight suits? It wasn’t normal back in the late 80’s, early 90’s.
It became mandated in 1994 - PR's were busy that year. Its been a thing since - the up side is the flight uniform - be it the one piece zoom bag or two piece - is a "uniform" on par with our AF comrades.

You have to hand it to the Marines on managing their uniform culture with the long view. No shoulder insignia there! A sensical look.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe that type has been phased out. I only had one that was worn instead of a flight suit, not under it. Unless that has changed again in the last few years

They do issue the new ones, but unfortunately if the old ones were still servicable, they reissued the old one. About a year before I retired, my old one was due for expiration. Naturally this happened during the winter, so I figured I'd get issued a new one. Nope, mine came back back in service from AIMD. So naturally I did what I had done my whole career...continue to not wear it.

I think I tried to get rid of it when I retired so if I came back as a contractor I would have to be issued a new one, but my old one ended up following me home, I believe. It's like a bad penny.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Having worked with a Brit Deputy CDRE, Royal Navy and Aussie LNOs, and spent some time underway with the Brits, they fucking get it. Their uniforms are sensical (working and dress), they take the job seriously, and they know how to party.

Can confirm, the Brits are consummate professionals. A word of advice, never go drinking with them. I made that mistake in Key West and not only was it in my top 10 of the drunkest I've ever been, but I also couldn't understand a word they were saying. And we were all speaking English (supposedly)!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Can confirm, the Brits are consummate professionals. A word of advice, never go drinking with them. I made that mistake in Key West and not only was it in my top 10 of the drunkest I've ever been, but I also couldn't understand a word they were saying. And we were all speaking English (supposedly)!

A) I have the x-ray to prove it

B) Never ask a Scotsman if they wear underwear

C) Thanks to COVID I missed out on the chance to go to Faslane, Scotland and kick it with them again

BT BT

Since I'm bored today at a desk, OPNAVINST 10126.4E specifically says of leather jackets "Wear is authorized upon completion of Aviation Pre-flight Indoctrination" Now does it make sense to wear it without patches and in Corpus/Whiting typical weather? Probably not. But it's in black and white you can wear it.

Birdbrain

pilot
So the current uniform regs for flight suits green/tan are basically a garrison cap, a set of a sewn on shoulder ranks, patches of - one American flag or Navy Jack on the left shoulder, one leather or cloth squadron name tag with crest or warfare device on the left breast, one squadron patch on the right breast, and one right shoulder patch intended for weapons schools, cotton black/tan shirt, cotton underwear, cotton or wool green or white socks, and brown or black flight boots for E-7 and above and E-6 and below respectively. What would you change, if you were in command of NAVAIR's uniform board?

Last edited: