• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
@Birdbrain The great standardization of 2011-2013 ended up pretty well I'd say. I wouldn't change anything about the current flight suit regs in terms of how they can be worn, with a small exception for cloth epaulets vs sewn on rank. Could easily sanitize for combat, would be more visible from a distance, and looks more "naval".

That being said, I would enshrine them as a working uniform/NWU equivalent in all forms and stop lower leaders from banning them. Flight suit hate is strong outside CNAF commands and they all want to treat it like coveralls. Everyone with wings earned the right to wear a flight suit and shouldn't have to get into rhetorical wars with SWOs about it. While I generally fall under the "be careful what you wish for" mantra, I struggle to see a downside to this.

There should probably be some standardization of two-piece flight suits put out, but given the pointy-nose centric nature of CNAF/CNAL, I doubt we'll see it.
Don't some helo folks have velcro on rank patches?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always wondered why they did this. I mean, you carry your ID into combat anyway, per the Geneva Conventions, and you're allowed to tell your name, rank, service number, and date of birth. So who cares if you get rolled up in otherwise-sanitized flight gear with your rank on it?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I always wondered why they did this. I mean, you carry your ID into combat anyway, per the Geneva Conventions, and you're allowed to tell your name, rank, service number, and date of birth. So who cares if you get rolled up in otherwise-sanitized flight gear with your rank on it?
Because you never know when you might be frocked? ¯\(ツ)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

This seemed like a holdover from "Old School Gung-Ho CSAR HS-Types". I think it'd largely fallen out of favor as I was leaving the community (2016ish). I tired it, but 1) didn't like the look and 2) it constantly snagged on my vest.

The two piece flight suits you'd wear with the integrated body armor vest don't really have accommodation for shoulder rank. Most people didn't bother on those.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please don't tell me the Navy has gone AF stupid and is using selected rank in correspondence.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please don't tell me the Navy has gone AF stupid and is using selected rank in correspondence.
The only time I've ever seen this happen was like 8 years ago under one CO.