• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
3 standard green flight suits at API Gear Issue (46L)
1 oversize green flight suit additionally at FRS with issue of the worthless and obsolete CWU-62 dry suit (48L)
1 "Blue" flight suit issued at squadron check in for "VIP" flights
2 additional "Blue" flight suits issued upon arrival at TW-5 at ITU.

I never could understand the reasoning of the blue flight suit - what operational requirement drove its existence? In my squadron we were issued one for "VIP flights" but the requirement was a holdover from when HC-6 flew a handful of VH-3A's to the Capitol Area and Pentagon 5 days per week. By the time I was a young nugget, HC-2 had been formed - and they did all the VIP work.

We did use the blue flight suit to identify the Naval Courier during our nuclear weapons transport mission - I always joked that in addition to clearly identifying who the Marines were supposed to protect, it also highlighted who the terrorists should kill first - lest the Courier pull the T-handle and melt the fuse internals of the weapon.

In CNATRA there was no clearly stated purpose for the blue flight suit - other than it made people mistake you for USCG. TW-6 permitted short sleeve versions for ops in their T-39's and T-47's. That actually looked cool. For me it was two more flight suits my wife to wash that gave me a week plus of clean uniforms. By 1994 with the advent of flight suit shoulder insignia and christening of the flight suit a "uniform" in the Naval Services, the blue suit was mothballed. I actually repurposed mine for civilian helo flying in my HAA days when I would ferry aircraft or fill in at other mid-west bases that had adopted nomex.

and the useless CWU-62 Dry Suit - with improved collar/cuff (replete with official dry suit storage bag)

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
and the useless CWU-62 Dry Suit - with improved collar/cuff (replete with official dry suit storage bag)

View attachment 26743

I used mine for winter kayaking for many years, before finally replacing it with a commercial one. Still use the suit liner.

As an aside, when I paddleboard in the winter, I'll typically walk into the water and float around a little, surrounded by ice, before hopping up and paddling. Good lesson in what to wear underneath it to stay warm. It's a ton of fun to be the only knucklehead out there.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
We had no self serve laundry. All laundry, civ, zoom bag and uniforms were picked up, cleaned and returned to our stateroom folded wrapped and tied in brown paper. Think dry cleaning was once a week. Laundry once or twice. Bedding once a week.

I am truly saddened and angry reading about current messing and laundry service and standards. Small things make a difference.
This is in some manual somewhere. I could tell because the best person at doing laundry was the boot CS - clothes came back actually clean, dry and folded. This lasts about 2 weeks when you can tell some salty CS2 told him to knock it off. About 2 days later is when the chop gets summoned to the COSR to explain why his clothes aren't properly dried...

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
1 oversize green flight suit additionally at FRS with issue of the worthless and obsolete CWU-62 dry suit (48L)

I never could understand the reasoning of the blue flight suit - what operational requirement drove its existence? In my squadron we were issued one for "VIP flights" but the requirement was a holdover from when HC-6 flew a handful of VH-3A's to the Capitol Area and Pentagon 5 days per week. By the time I was a young nugget, HC-2 had been formed - and they did all the VIP work.

We did use the blue flight suit to identify the Naval Courier during our nuclear weapons transport mission - I always joked that in addition to clearly identifying who the Marines were supposed to protect, it also highlighted who the terrorists should kill first - lest the Courier pull the T-handle and melt the fuse internals of the weapon.

In CNATRA there was no clearly stated purpose for the blue flight suit - other than it made people mistake you for USCG. TW-6 permitted short sleeve versions for ops in their T-39's and T-47's. That actually looked cool. For me it was two more flight suits my wife to wash that gave me a week plus of clean uniforms. By 1994 with the advent of flight suit shoulder insignia and christening of the flight suit a "uniform" in the Naval Services, the blue suit was mothballed. I actually repurposed mine for civilian helo flying in my HAA days when I would ferry aircraft or fill in at other mid-west bases that had adopted nomex.

View attachment 26742

View attachment 26743
I’ll bite on epaulets on the blue flight suit:

Would soft green/tan shoulder boards on flight suits (like RAN, Canadians, etc.) to look more navy than USAAC be cool or no? I’m conflicted. Would be cheaper and easier. Never was a part of naval aviation, but shoulder rank hasn’t been around that long either.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I’ll bite on epaulets on the blue flight suit:

Would soft green/tan shoulder boards on flight suits (like RAN, Canadians, etc.) to look more navy than USAAC be cool or no? I’m conflicted. Would be cheaper and easier. Never was a part of naval aviation, but shoulder rank hasn’t been around that long either.
The RN makes it look awesome - I saw a few dudes try the soft shoulder boards from the white SDB shirt on the blue flight suit - it looked dorky and there was a fair amount of JOPA shaming as a result. I'd love to see USN adopt something like the RN and Canadians...

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot

View attachment 26742

View attachment 26743
Not sure what's useless about the dry suit. Sure, it was god awfully uncomfortable but it served a purpose (if worn with appropriate undergarments).

ChuckMK23

pilot
Not sure what's useless about the dry suit. Sure, it was god awfully uncomfortable but it served a purpose (if worn with appropriate undergarments).
Peace there - being tongue in cheek. I was always envious of the more sophisticated AF and USCG constant wear ensemble that did not require you to wear a flight suit over it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

View attachment 26742

View attachment 26743
Just tossed my dry suit a couple weeks ago. Was going through boxes in my hangar and found it. Was all stiff from dry rot and the cuffs so brittle they broke off. Issued 1983 for NORPAC. Saved the PR shop bag it was stored in. Still have my wet suit. It fit me when I started scuba and figured it would be nice to have for some winter socal diving. As it turned out, I was only a warm water diver. Never wore it, not even when issued for flying. Now it doesn't fit.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Peace there - being tongue in cheek. I was always envious of the more sophisticated AF and USCG constant wear ensemble that did not require you to wear a flight suit over it.
I believe that type has been phased out. I only had one that was worn instead of a flight suit, not under it. Unless that has changed again in the last few years

ChuckMK23

pilot
I believe that type has been phased out. I only had one that was worn instead of a flight suit, not under it. Unless that has changed again in the last few years
I was under the impression that the Navy and Marines used the CWU-74/P - designed to be worn as an outer garment

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
When did the navy start sewing rank on the shoulders of flight suits? It wasn’t normal back in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

croakerfish

pilot
Luckily we didn't have this fuckery on HST, but considering laundry pickup for O4 and below was once a week and turnaround was ~5 days, turning flight suits in to ship's laundry was untenable when most of us had only 2-3 tan flight suits.

Glad TW-5 came back from the stupidness of "No Tan Flight Suits" of 2017. It's a fucking uniform. Wear it in the proper manner and who gives a shit.
Well we aren’t allowed to wear green flight suits now so in my case at least I went from six flight suits to two.