• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alpha Company 08

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
All the joys ... I do NOT envy you guys at all right now...

Keep your heads up, it will be over before you know it.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
Bottom line, take your time with your last day of freedom, since you will soon find out how little of it you actually have once the train gets moving. But don't be the guy that checks in at 2359 because the orders say you can. Not a good way to start six months of fun.

How about being the guy who checks in at 2230? I recall getting warm reception from the student platoon commander for "not checking-in on time"...which, by the way, was total crap. I'm not saying be a dick and check in at the absolute last minute, but if you want to take your time you can definitely do so (thats what I did.) Travel plans don't always work out for you being there first thing in the morning, though I'm sure if you applied yourself you could figure something out.

I definitely had a good time working on the quality spread with Ave8tor in the Mike co. offices that evening/next morning, only to see it pretty much tossed out the window the next day. It was just the beginning of a great six months of Charlie '07.

TheFurr7198

if you stay in a hotel make sure it is within 15 miles of the base because then they will reimburse you for that expense up to 180 dollars. I saw a couple guys get hosed on some cash they could of got back had they done this when I went through. 1-08

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Does anyone know the rate they reimburse you for travel? I know that its a set amount per mile... I heard 49c somewhere, anyone know the exact rate?

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
How about being the guy who checks in at 2230? I recall getting warm reception from the student platoon commander for "not checking-in on time"...which, by the way, was total crap. I'm not saying be a dick and check in at the absolute last minute, but if you want to take your time you can definitely do so (thats what I did.) Travel plans don't always work out for you being there first thing in the morning, though I'm sure if you applied yourself you could figure something out.

I definitely had a good time working on the quality spread with Ave8tor in the Mike co. offices that evening/next morning, only to see it pretty much tossed out the window the next day. It was just the beginning of a great six months of Charlie '07.

Things seemed to go wrong from day one with that company. We really had no guidance from the staff, but then again no surprise there. At least we all (or most of us) made it to Pensacola with all our limbs still functioning normally. 5% attrition rate my ass... more like 12% for "Chuck Norris Charlie", and I think most of those were in the first 5 weeks. By the way InverterdFlyer, prep your feet before range week! Good luck.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ I've heard differing reports on this. Some say run in boots prior to TBS, other say don't, its bad for your feet. Any feedback on that gents?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Fluffy Fox just finished the first day of range week. For some reason I have something really stressed out in my foot, but we'll see how it feels by the end of the weekend. I'm a little worried about it, but I think it's just something bruised up or pulled from getting my tight muscles (fresh off of grey belt training) into the kneeling pos.

So as far as prepping your feet...Just mix in running in boots with running in tennis shoes. Don't worry so much about the running. You'd be better off carrying a load 2 or 3 miles and then keeping your boots on the rest of the day after that. That's whats going to prep your feet for range week.

And has anybody noticed that every company has a different policy on who gets kept and who doesn't? It's dependent on what the company staff wants. So report in between 0900 and 1000, be medically qualified, and don't be in the bottom 10% in PFT scores for the company. Do that and you'll be about 95% guaranteed to pick up with the company you're reporting in to. The other 5% is just because of chance.

Embrace it. You HAVE TO drink the kool-aid to get anything out of tbs and not go out of your mind. Believe it.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Fluffy Fox just finished the first day of range week. For some reason I have something really stressed out in my foot, but we'll see how it feels by the end of the weekend. I'm a little worried about it, but I think it's just something bruised up or pulled from getting my tight muscles (fresh off of grey belt training) into the kneeling pos.

Obviously, USMM, you have been around so you may know this, but for general consumption: take a tennis ball, and place it on the ground, put the arch of your foot on it and roll the ball from one end of the arch to the other. I have done plenty of running in boots in the last five years, and a Physical Therapist friend of mine showed me this. It gets a good stretch into the arch and it works wonders.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Obviously, USMM, you have been around so you may know this, but for general consumption: take a tennis ball, and place it on the ground, put the arch of your foot on it and roll the ball from one end of the arch to the other. I have done plenty of running in boots in the last five years, and a Physical Therapist friend of mine showed me this. It gets a good stretch into the arch and it works wonders.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I haven't had a whole lot of experience with orthopedic injuries personally so I still have a ton of learning to do. I've been wearing boots for awhile, so I don't know where this came from. It's been feeling a little better throughout the day.

I have probably psyched myself out a little over something that's a little bit more than a routine ache/pain, because of the whole Company M hysteria coupled with the idea that I would have to start all over if something happened at this point, and also that I consider cold weather training(particularly "only use snivel gear when we say you can" training) to be hell on earth.

phrogpilot73

...I consider cold weather training(particularly "only use snivel gear when we say you can" training) to be hell on earth.
The grunts get stuck in the whole "comfortably cool" and "I'm too hard for that crap" mindset.

One day during a TACP shoot the skies opened up, and I've never seen it rain that hard. Working smarter, not harder - I got dressed in full Gore-Tex, and warming layers. The Weapons Company CO said I looked like a giant pansy. I said "Yup, but I'm a warm and dry pansy"

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Just found out I'll be in Arctic Alpha, I should have my head examined going through winter OCS AND TBS. See you there inverted flyer :icon_zbee

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Just found out I'll be in Arctic Alpha, I should have my head examined going through winter OCS AND TBS. See you there inverted flyer :icon_zbee

I would venture to say that you will find doing TBS in the winter somewhat better than OCS in the winter. Hand warmers will be your friend.