• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alpha Company 08

Clux4

Banned
Working smarter, not harder

You have to love it when an SPC(grunt type) tells you that beanies are not to be worn once you roll-out of your sleeping bag. Makes you wonder if the guy thought about it before he opened his mouth. Common sense has to prevail at some point. But when exactly, is the question.

MettGT

pilot
I would venture to say that you will find doing TBS in the winter somewhat better than OCS in the winter. Hand warmers will be your friend.

The issued pull-over fleece is money too. Plus, in the winter, land nav is a lot easier. I wouldn't want to try and go look for land nav boxes in TA-16 with the foliage like it is now...

UORBulldog

It's also faster, because when you're up on the top of that finger and there's a nice 2 inch layer of ice on the entire down slope, and you can see your box, but just can't make out the number, you're gonna get on your ass and slide down that finger in about 5 seconds. That and if the reservoir is frozen over, you can just say F it and walk around all the fingers

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
The issued pull-over fleece is money too. Plus, in the winter, land nav is a lot easier. I wouldn't want to try and go look for land nav boxes in TA-16 with the foliage like it is now...

Funny that you mention that. I just got back, approximately an hour ago, from my last landnav event - Final Night. :D

Clux4

Banned
Funny that you mention that. I just got back, approximately an hour ago, from my last landnav event - Final Night. :D

You bring back horrible memories my friend. Trying to keep your azimuth while wading the stream or is it South Chopawamsic. God bless the CRF!
At least you all did not have to go back and look for a weapon !!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
You bring back horrible memories my friend. Trying to keep your azimuth while wading the stream or is it South Chopawamsic. God bless the CRF!

Seeing your posts brings back memories....... of TANGO 1 You thought we forgot, didn't you?

Ahhh, good ol Alpha Co. Somehow range week (specifically qual day) always seems to get scheduled around a snow storm. WTF is up with that?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

We had a female who was up to her neck in the creek; to be fair shes all of five foot nothing.

And yes, those bastards are still trudging around the terrain of Centralia in fireteam and squad-sized elements doing their best to make the lives of 2LTs miserable.

phrogpilot73

Ahh, Night Land Nav - what a joy. I got 100 on Final Day, but on Final Night I got a 95. Stepped out on to the tank trail and was equidistant between two boxes. I chose the wrong one.

MettGT

pilot
Ahh, Night Land Nav - what a joy. I got 100 on Final Day, but on Final Night I got a 95. Stepped out on to the tank trail and was equidistant between two boxes. I chose the wrong one.

Same thing happened to me....didn't want to tread through however much standing water there was, did a 90 degree offset and wound up between 2 boxes once I reached MCB-3.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Any suggestions as to little pieces of gear that'll make TBS life a little easier? ie headlamps, handwarmers, glove inserts etc. etc.

MettGT

pilot
Any suggestions as to little pieces of gear that'll make TBS life a little easier? ie headlamps, handwarmers, glove inserts etc. etc.

OD green Under Armour for out in the field. I also had a couple pair of their leggings which worked pretty well...a headlamp is good when you can use them, but we had to maintain light discipline most of the time. A good pair of warm/waterproof gloves is a must for those cold and rainy days out in the field - sealskinz makes a decent pair. I went through a bunch of hand warmers. Also, a knife or multi-tool definitely will come in handy. I think there was a thread a while back that talked about winter gear for TBS which had some good ideas.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Geezzz - what is the Corps coming to

Back in the "old Corps" if it wasn't issued to you it wasn't authorized. Somehow we managed to survive :):)

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Thread revival!

I know I mentioned this in a thread a while back, when I thought I was shipping to TBS earlier... but ...

What are some good libo spots in the Virginia/DC area? I remember someone mentioning a certain bar down in Fredericksburg.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Thread revival!

I know I mentioned this in a thread a while back, when I thought I was shipping to TBS earlier... but ...

What are some good libo spots in the Virginia/DC area? I remember someone mentioning a certain bar down in Fredericksburg.

Anywhere in Georgetown or Adams Morgan is good. The former is considerably more upscale than the latter, but you can have a good time in both areas. BPT spend $8-10 on a drink though, you're not in college anymore.

As for Fredericksburg, I think the bar is called "On the Water," and its located by the small University thats in the area. Good atmosphere and a rather impressive "selection" given the area.

Clux4

Banned
Check out downtown Baltimore, around the harbor. Pretty good hike from Camp Barret.
Is Fred Vegas still there - Fredericksburg, VA
Also check out Ned Divine in Sterling, VA