• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF recruiting video pulled...AF recruits in better shape than most marines?

So, I can't get the video to load, but does he have anything to support the idea?

Granted, the idea is as ludicrous as they come, but if he has some official statistics to support the idea it would make it interesting.

The Marine Corps has a distinctly different ethos than the other services. And many people don't get it or flat out dislike it. But it sure as shit has the fitness piece right.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
So, I can't get the video to load, but does he have anything to support the idea?

Very loosely stated in the video: "The AF doesn't have 12-16 weeks of training like the Army or Marines...therefore they have less time to meet the standards of fitness..."

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
The physical side of AF Basic wasn't half as hard as Navy OCS. So I would say it's very safe to assume that Marine Basic is a lot harder than AF basic...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Ah I dunno what the big hubub is about. I mean, I'm posted on an AF base and these guys are the very pinnacle of physical fitness. Every day I stand in awe of their Greek-God like physiques and their dedication to professionalism. I mean these guys have it wired!

If what I just wrote doesn't make sense, note that I just got up and haven't finished my coffee. I'll revisit it later to ensure that my statement is accurate and based in reality.

Clux4

Banned
Ah I dunno what the big hubub is about. I mean, I'm posted on an AF base and these guys are the very pinnacle of physical fitness. Every day I stand in awe of their Greek-God like physiques and their dedication to professionalism. I mean these guys have it wired!

If what I just wrote doesn't make sense, note that I just got up and haven't finished my coffee. I'll revisit it later to ensure that my statement is accurate and based in reality.

And what coast is your boat on?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
PT-off. Form your crews and meet behind the Pentagon.

Guest judge has decided:

USAirForceLogo.jpg

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Only one way to settle this one: PT-off. Form your crews and meet behind the Pentagon.

Dangerous, such an action is going to inspire a veritable cloud of paperwork, the least of which will be dozens of Momorandum's For Record (MFRs) ... they may never make it out there, too many signatures.

may I suggest some isometric thumb pinky stretching, might help ... :icon_wink

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
You're shitting me.

Waist size used to be a major factor. Big points off for males who didn't have a 32" waist, which was kinda stupid. They pulled that requirement though. I hear my neighbor gripe about their new PT program all the time. Really though, the requirements are still considerably less stringent than the Navy's.

Consider that the max pushups you need to do in the AF (in 1min, age 30-39) to get the highest score is 57, situps is 54. The run for the same age group is a minimum of 14min for 1.5mi, max score achieved at <9:34.

And I'm comparing this to the Navy's standards, not the Marines! I'd like to see most of the AF pukes around my base do even two pullups, or walk 3mi.

I should add that there are some PT animals in the AF, but by and large, the Navy around here is in better shape than the AF. 'course, this is just one base...

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Well...their "PJ special forces" look to have similar physical standards except for the part where their run distance is half of ours.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
That one goes hand-in-hand with the other 2 USAF recruiting videos I saw while watching the NFL this weekend.

I'm not motivated enough to find the links...but if you haven't seen their "it's not science fiction" recruiting ads where they dynamically change the orbit of a comms satellite or get all Buck Rogers to rescue a downed airman, then you haven't lived.

Granted, the average Marine doesn't free climb towering desert peaks to fight a duel with a gargantuan fire monster...but at least that's obvious hyperbole.

I'd better get back to being a global force for good now.;)