• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF recruiting video pulled...AF recruits in better shape than most marines?

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Granted, the average Marine doesn't free climb towering desert peaks to fight a duel with a gargantuan fire monster...but at least that's obvious hyperbole.

That's where you're wrong! We had to do this after the 37 mile hump at TBS. Twice.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
From here...

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/10/airforce_pt_101909w/

"The test itself is not changing — a 1.5-mile run, waist measurement, push-ups and sit-ups — though that’s little consolation to airmen. Now, airmen must take the PT test twice a year instead of annually and have their scores recorded by a civilian fitness expert — not another airman. A weighted point system is the finishing touch. The new scoring sheets show faster run times and more push-ups and sit-ups for all age groups. The new categories, in increments of 10 years instead of five, are below 30, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60 and older."

Just a side note after some quick reading...

On the lowest/youngest male (old USAF not new) chart:
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/06000%20Medical%20and%20Dental%20Services/06-100%20General%20Physical%20Fitness/6110.1H.pdf
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/l/blfitafmale1.htm

1.5 mile run
USN - times range 8:15 to 12:30
USAF - times range 9:36 to 21:30

A 12:30 on the USN side is Probationary

A 12:30 on the AF scale is 37.5/50 points (= 75/100)

75 points on the USN scale is a 9:45 = Excellent low

Push-ups and curl-ups/crunches are similar except with a 1 minute time limit

Seems to me the USAF expects less from the start.

EDIT: I'll leave the old one above for a comparison. I revise my last statement above to...seems the USAF expects less of the younger personnel upon initial entry but hold them to approx equal standards as the USN by their 30th birthday. I would even venture to say that the USAf is holding their older personnel to a higher standard.

New USAF chart here http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=64781

pt_tables.jpg

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Haha wow... how many here max the AF PT test? I'd venture to guess at least a third...

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Well...their "PJ special forces" look to have similar physical standards except for the part where their run distance is half of ours.

General note, but I wouldn't 'diss' or put quotes around their "PJ special forces" especially w/r/t their physical fitness. I got a chance to work with them last spring, and I don't think they would be sweating the Marine PT test.

HornyU2

pilot
None
In regards to the original point of this thread...............

The video is a bit reflective of some of the ills in the Big Blue. After nearly 10 years in my now, sister service, I feel qualified to speak to it's glory and also to it's illness. The biggest of ills is this tendency towards small kingdoms - which, seem to take on lives and missions of their own- even to the detriment of the bigger mission. The maintenance kingdom, the services kingdom, the medical kingdom, etc. We all (AF pilots) heard the stories about the troops at Dhafra who thought the mission of the KC-135 was to bring in fuel to run the generators for the services on base. Whether urban legend or truth, they demonstrated the fact that the sense of mission was largely lost in favor of a sense of "nobody is more important than anybody else." That's why we had security forces troops actually stop a taxiing U-2 (taxiing out for a real world mission) and accompanying mobile (chase car) to check the mobile car driver for a flight line driver's license. The SF troops actually saw themselves as the mission, not realizing that the only reason they are actually there is to get that black airplane, the very airplane they were holding up, into the the air. At times, It was enough to make you want to resign your commission.

Vick - you know what I'm talking about.

So, to me, this video has the same foundation. I'm all about seeing a troop take pride in his job - nothing more motivating for an officer to see than this. But, I have no doubt that this troop knows so little about the bigger mission of the AF, much less the rest of the military, that he actually believes he trains AF basic trainees to a higher standard than marine BTs. I would also speculate, with confidence, that some of his leadership told him the same thing and found some power point slide, with accompanying numbers, to validate it. It started with telling Airmen that they are just as important as Colonels and Generals, and this has translated to now telling them that they are just as "in shape" as Marines. We can't let anyone feel like they are less special than anyone else. Given enough time, they probably would have found a way to tell them that they were just as physically fit as a SEAL.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
General note, but I wouldn't 'diss' or put quotes around their "PJ special forces" especially w/r/t their physical fitness. I got a chance to work with them last spring, and I don't think they would be sweating the Marine PT test.

Oh I wasn't digging on them, I only used the quotes because that is what I've heard them referred to as, I don't know what their actual name is. I was doing the equivalent of "devil dogs" if I don't know the official name for a devil dog.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In regards to the original point of this thread...............

The video is a bit reflective of some of the ills in the Big Blue. After nearly 10 years in my now, sister service, I feel qualified to speak to it's glory and also to it's illness. The biggest of ills is this tendency towards small kingdoms - which, seem to take on lives and missions of their own- even to the detriment of the bigger mission. The maintenance kingdom, the services kingdom, the medical kingdom, etc. We all (AF pilots) heard the stories about the troops at Dhafra who thought the mission of the KC-135 was to bring in fuel to run the generators for the services on base. Whether urban legend or truth, they demonstrated the fact that the sense of mission was largely lost in favor of a sense of "nobody is more important than anybody else." That's why we had security forces troops actually stop a taxiing U-2 (taxiing out for a real world mission) and accompanying mobile (chase car) to check the mobile car driver for a flight line driver's license. The SF troops actually saw themselves as the mission, not realizing that the only reason they are actually there is to get that black airplane, the very airplane they were holding up, into the the air. At times, It was enough to make you want to resign your commission.

I know the Navy has some of this as well, but in my opinion, your description best sums up the Air Force. I recently did my second airshow this summer at Scott AFB. Several times we were either told we couldn't go a certain way or just stopped on an open road because we weren't where "we should be." After a quick explanation of who we were and why we were doing what we were doing, everything was okay, but at one point, a "SF" (not sure if she was actually a SF) would not move out of the road and just held up her hand. Never mind we were on an open road going to our Q (which was literally 50 yards to the left). Once she stopped us, she quickly waved us through, but really? It's worth you getting run over to accomplish your mission, which you didn't accomplish because you held up airshow participants? Well done.

Anyway, well said, Horny.

Clux4

Banned
Horny,
There has to be an origin for all these. I mean, the loss of the big picture. When did this all begin for the Air Force? Could the 1992 reorganization of Air Force MAJCOM be the issue, Old SAC guys maybe ?

H60Gunner

Contributor
Well...their "PJ special forces" look to have similar physical standards except for the part where their run distance is half of ours.

Seriously? Similar to to what? Is that entrance requirements or sustainment? Would be a shock to me because those guys are definitely not typical AF.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think that I saw the director of the USAF PT program right here in Yuma! As luck would have it, she happens to be a AWACS crewman (LtCol) as well.

I think that this proves once and for all that the Marine Corps can learn a whole lot about PT from our brothers (and sisters) in blue.

002.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think that I saw the director of the USAF PT program right here in Yuma! As luck would have it, she happens to be a AWACS crewman (LtCol) as well.

I think that this proves once and for all that the Marine Corps can learn a whole lot about PT from our brothers (and sisters) in blue.

I take it, you are facetious-panda? :D

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

002.jpg

You were so impressed you took a picture, right...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Where's that picture that made its round of the interwebs with like 17 different senior Air Farce Officers wearing like 7 different uniforms with an obese female Air Farce Colonel with her hands in her pockets. It's about time that one showed up.....

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
How can you compare any of the PT standards to the Marine PT standards. They do doggone PULL-UPS and run THREE miles.

Pull-ups are substantially more difficult than push-ups in my opinion.

That guy in that video was nuts.