• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF recruiting video pulled...AF recruits in better shape than most marines?

Clux4

Banned
Everytime I put on a reflective belt, a Marine who died at Iwo Jima rolls over in his grave.

The madness has spread. On an Army base in Kuwait, reflective belts were mandatory after sunset. Even on Marine bases, they're supposed to be worn during PT before morning and after evening colors. I believe in Quantico they're mandatory for PT 24/7--at least there were signs to that effect in the gym.
The reflective policy is alive and well here on Quantico. The base commander in his in-brief made it a point to bring it up and explain his decision. They even stepped up the patrol and now started sending PMO around base to catch violators. They will pick you up and drop you at the opposite end of base. In the first few attempts, the PMO boys were getting cursed out by the violators(probably a disgruntled Major on base), so they stepped things up and started sending base SgtMaj with PMO to bully non-complying individuals.

(This is all Quantico main side, I am not sure what those folks on Barret side are going through.)

This thing is about to spread like wild fire and someone needs to stop it. STOP GHEY REFLECTIVE BELT POLICY ON YOUR BASE NOW!

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot

The Air Force is still the weirdest, though. They're required to wear them on the flightline at all times, but are not required to wear cranials while on top of aircraft. So, you can fall off and crack your skull open, but at least they'll be able to find your corpse in the dark.

Another oddity of the Air Force is that they fly WITH their maintainance/gripe records, or the aircraft's 'book'. So if something was to happen to said aircraft, the book would burn up with it. Seems like the book would be somewhat important to mishap investigations, but what do I know?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Another oddity of the Air Force is that they fly WITH their maintainance/gripe records, or the aircraft's 'book'. So if something was to happen to said aircraft, the book would burn up with it. Seems like the book would be somewhat important to mishap investigations, but what do I know?

Yeah, but it's "easier" to read the book at the aircraft instead of cramming into MX control with 18 other dudes about to go preflight.

Plus it's "easier" to get a golf-cart ride to your bird too.... or in some pics I've seen a fvcking BUS!

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

It's also very useful to have when you, say, land at a station that is not home station...hence having them in the aircraft.

In fighter units where most flying is "around the flagpole", the 781s stay on the ground with the maintainers.

In the training squadrons, where out-and-back and off station sorties are frequently flown, the forms go with the jet.

BTW, the actual 781 form in the plastic binder includes very little single-source information about the maintenance history of the aircraft. That info is all tracked digitally through CAMS (or a similar maintenance database system), and has been for at least a decade.

I love how on AirWarriors whenever something "different" about how the AF does business is brought up, it's always assumed that it's done differently because the AF is a bunch of total f*cking retards. Maybe, just maybe, procedures have been developed over time that work for the system we're operating in.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I love how on AirWarriors whenever something "different" about how the AF does business is brought up, it's always assumed that it's done differently because the AF is a bunch of total f*cking retards. Maybe, just maybe, procedures have been developed over time that work for the system we're operating in.

How DARE you retort with your "logic"?!

Maybe we just like making fun of the Air Force! (right, I know. I'll go back to my PQM corner now...)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Umm...actually we do this in the Marine Corps now, too.

That 3" binder does not contain the sole records of maintenance actions within, like some Dead Sea Scrolls of MAFs.

Since OOMA-NALCOMIS, digital signatures, etc., everything's stored in the computer, too. If some old schooler tries to tell you that your wingman has to carry your book and vice-versa, he's full of it. Besides, THAT becomes a true pain in the ass if you end up separating or something and now you're at an airfield in BFE with someone else's ADB.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
How DARE you retort with your "logic"?!

Maybe we just like making fun of the Air Force! (right, I know. I'll go back to my PQM corner now...)
No dude, don't worry. You're a PQM now, and have seen pictures of the Air Force and seen them live and in person at an air show. Flame away.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Since OOMA-NALCOMIS, digital signatures, etc., everything's stored in the computer, too.

This has been going on for at least the last 5 years. It was in effect when I started signing for the aircraft. Which brings up the question, why do they still have books? Is it just so you can travel with them? Or because they're easier to look through for the preflight? I'm not sure either answer is bad, just wondering if those are the only answers.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
It seems like w/ a database interface, a pilot could distill the ADB's information more logically prior to a flight. Instead of being limited to only the sequential order of MAFs, you could sort them by avionics, powerplant, airframe, etc... or you could sort by corrected/uncorrected downers, PMCs, FCFs... then you could sort through and read the repeat gripes. Obviously many MAFs would be in multiple categories, and unlike the paper setup, that would not be a problem.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
It seems like w/ a database interface, a pilot could distill the ADB's information more logically prior to a flight. Instead of being limited to only the sequential order of MAFs, you could sort them by avionics, powerplant, airframe, etc... or you could sort by corrected/uncorrected downers, PMCs, FCFs... then you could sort through and read the repeat gripes. Obviously many MAFs would be in multiple categories, and unlike the paper setup, that would not be a problem.

Hey, Rip VanWinkle, you can do pretty much all of that stuff right now. Just ask your Maintenance Controller to help you out.

'Course, unless you have a purpose, it's usually easier to thumb through the book.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This has been going on for at least the last 5 years. It was in effect when I started signing for the aircraft. Which brings up the question, why do they still have books? Is it just so you can travel with them? Or because they're easier to look through for the preflight? I'm not sure either answer is bad, just wondering if those are the only answers.

They have this now on optimized NALCOMIS but it's not fleet wide. Personally I'd rather thumb through the book like Phrog is saying but that may be an interface issue more than a usefulness issue.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Hey, Rip VanWinkle, you can do pretty much all of that stuff right now. Just ask your Maintenance Controller to help you out.

'Course, unless you have a purpose, it's usually easier to thumb through the book.

Awesome. As a measley PQM, I hadn't learned that yet.

Pags

N/A
pilot

We still have books because some people (Skippers probably) like to flip through the book as they've been doing for years. My last command we printed out all the MAFs from OOMA and made books just like A4s used (except the gripes weren't handwritten).

At my current command the book is all online via OOMA. You can read the book from the comfort of your own desk. Of course, if you have a question, it's harder to get an answer. I'm still not a fan of no book, but no one asked me.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, but it's "easier" to read the book at the aircraft instead of cramming into MX control with 18 other dudes about to go preflight.

Plus it's "easier" to get a golf-cart ride to your bird too.... or in some pics I've seen a fvcking BUS!

Someday the sea services will get with the program and realize that things that suck don't make you tougher, they just suck.

Seriously, Otto, ever think about how much bigger an Air Force flightline can be than a Nav/MC one? Also, did you consider that since their ops and maintenance squadrons are separate, there may be a considerable distance to go to the aircraft? Think walking a half-mile in flight gear just prior to a flight is the best way for a crew to spend its time? That's not just doing it "easier," it's doing it "smarter."