• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

UMichfly

pilot
None
-The air force DOES have helicopters...which you are gonna have to start calling choppers...

OCChoppers.jpg

???

eric_estrada_you're_a_homo.jpg

(Standard Disclaimer: Not you Tactical...unless you insist on calling them choppers :D)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I work every day with the AF. First, all the ones I work with (except for the 1 HH-130 guy) are helo (chopper) guys, and are great people. They are a tiny group relative to the Big Blue. The USAF employs so few that they actually shut down helo training altogether for a few years, which also massively hosed their grade shaping and made them rely on transfers. Of the 4 helo guys in my squadron, all 4 were prior Army pilots. Their 53s are being phased out entirely within the next year or so, leaving only the Hawks. I guarantee your chance of going helos is much less, for better or worse, than in the Navy/USMC.

Tactical387

I didnt realized that the af had so few helos.. good to know though. I guess i should edit my earlier post....not goin to though. haha:icon_tong

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Can we do anything else for you while we are doing your career research? Give us a shout when you get your shit together...:(
I think we should contract stupid questions out to Indian technical assistance companies.

whitman

I work every day with the AF. First, all the ones Their 53s are being phased out entirely within the next year or so, leaving only the Hawks. I guarantee your chance of going helos is much less, for better or worse, than in the Navy/USMC.

As of Sept 2003, the AF had:

HH-60: 68
UH-1: 61
MH-53: 36 (This has changed the most and pavelows will be gone by Sept 08)

Since 2003 we've also gotten a number of CV-22's, not sure how much but there are three operational I believe and the rest are at the schoolhouse

Original poster: Would you rather fly cargo planes instead of helos? In terms of manpower, that's the equivalent of helos in the Air Force. Also, you have to watch out for predators, they will start dropping to students shortly.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
From what i heard the Air force has hardly any helos is that true?
Do I apply for pilot and OTS like in the navy and the marines OCS or I apply for OTS and then just see what job I would get.
Can I take the AFOQT and find out if I can become a pilot through AFROTC before signing up?
Do they have a guarenteed slot in flight school like navy and marines?
Is there anything else i should know about becoming an AF pilot or about the AF?

Try www.airforceots.com.

HuggyU2

None
ok so the past few months i have been reaseaching paths to becoming a military pilot. I narrowed it down to navy and marines a long time ago,....
I only want fixed wing so now im looking at the airforce.
Not to bust your balls, but you've done your "research", chosen the Dept of the Navy, but only now figure out they fly lots of choppers? It looks like you need to do more "research". Lots more.
And if you want to avoid "choppers", come on over: we've got plenty of fixed wing MQ-1, MQ-9, and RQ-4 aircraft that need bright eyed and bushy tailed, steely eyed killers at the controls. Plus, we'll issue you a scarf for free, which the Navy won't do.
Seriously, there's "bills to pay" no matter which service chooses you. If you want to learn more about what's going on in the USAF, do a google search on "TAMI 21". Not pretty.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
we've got plenty of fixed wing MQ-1, MQ-9, and RQ-4 aircraft that need bright eyed and bushy tailed, steely eyed killers at the controls. Plus, we'll issue you a scarf for free, which the Navy won't do.

Wow...now that's a recruiting commercial you won't see.

Eh, where's my scarf?

Fetter

I narrowed it down to navy and marines a long time ago

How did you narrow your service selction and initially come up with the USMC/USN only to flop over to the AF just b/c you don't like helos?

In think you need to figure out what you're doing being a military pilot in the first place and then pick your service based on that. If you want to be maverick, go AF. If you want to make a difference, go USN/USMC.

And do yourself another favor and go take a demo flight in a helicopter and come back here and tell us you didn't like it.