• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst parts of Naval Aviation

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was an Alert-5, sitting on the cat ready to go kill somebody within 5 minutes, a watch?

It indeed became one. Early on we could "sleep-on-watch" sitting in our F-4 cockpit on the catapult. We usually brought pillows since we had already been up all night.... Integrity watches, etc.

However when one of our guys was photographed sound asleep in the cockpit of an alert 5 with his pillow on the canopy railing, all hell broke loose.

The photo made the front page of Stars and Stripes newspaper. The boat's CO (and above) was livid! Never again could we sleep on an Alert-5.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If memory serves you're also "Squadron Movie Officer" responsible for procuring a good evening movie for the ready room...

The roll-em will live forever in Naval Aviation infamy.......rig for red 1 min prior, no extraneous credits, never miss a squadronmatte on the ball.......I think that covers the ROE in general? Beyond that, tits, women apologizing to men, jets heard but never seen, popped circuit breakers, general badassry.....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Was an Alert-5, sitting on the cat ready to go kill somebody within 5 minutes, a watch?

It indeed became one. Early on we could "sleep-on-watch" sitting in our F-4 cockpit on the catapult. We usually brought pillows since we had already been up all night.... Integrity watches, etc.

However when one of our guys was photographed sound asleep in the cockpit of an alert 5 with his pillow on the canopy railing, all hell broke loose.

The photo made the front page of Stars and Stripes newspaper. The boat's CO (and above) was livid! Never again could we sleep on an Alert-5.

Sprinting down the starboard p-way after the alert 15 got called away is probably the closest I have ever felt to being a hard dick fighter pilot. Launching off minutes later, no clearing turn, just accelerating to real fast and blowing by the starboard D is about as alive as you can get. Maybe it gets old and boring after a while, but I love it

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, yes. It just means something different. But it's not a watch, just a line on the flight schedule during launches, recoveries, and post flight straightening.

Kind of like pilot and aviator? Or these wings:

350px-Naval_Aviator_Badge.jpg

And these wings?

uavwings-525.jpg

Or these?

44304_597439185433_4340962_n.jpg

:D

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

However when one of our guys was photographed sound asleep in the cockpit of an alert-5 with his pillow on the canopy railing, all hell broke loose.

Kinda' ironic, the livid boat's CO (and those above) no doubt stood the same alert-5s in WWII/Korea, in their Hellcats/Panthers (with the same stinky.. grease-stained pillows), thinking nothing of it. OTOH, they did somehow manage to not have naptime pics plastered front page on S & S (or Navy Crimes).;)
USS_Philippine_Sea.jpg
BzB

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Yep, that is sort of what I was getting at. Then again, anytime you are within 10 miles of the ship, the spotlight of the airwing is on you as well :) As for standing it no fly day, that wasn't the norm, just a good way to get some of us without previous PR experience a look at it when it wasn't real demanding.....at least that is what I assumed at the time

My friend, the days of your standard roll-em are over. You wouldn't want to offend anyone who walks by the ready room now would you. Someone will be offended by any foul language. Also, if there is any reference to any religion then that will obviously piss someone off. Of course anything rated over "G" would violate all kinds of SAPR rules and someone would definitely get offended by that. Any jokes that could be construed as racist / sexist / or offensive in any way will be blamed directly on the SDO.

This is what sucks about the Navy these days. We can go out and blow people into little bits, but God forbid we offend someone's precious feelings once back on the boat.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
This is what you advocate and stand for in this new Navy Brett.

You can't play both sides of the fence and do not tell me what to do.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
My friend, the days of your standard roll-em are over. You wouldn't want to offend anyone who walks by the ready room now would you. Someone will be offended by any foul language. Also, if there is any reference to any religion then that will obviously piss someone off. Of course anything rated over "G" would violate all kinds of SAPR rules and someone would definitely get offended by that. Any jokes that could be construed as racist / sexist / or offensive in any way will be blamed directly on the SDO.

This is what sucks about the Navy these days. We can go out and blow people into little bits, but God forbid we offend someone's precious feelings once back on the boat.

This is an unfortunate reality for you, apparently. During my last underway period, CAG came and watched Ted with our Ready Room. That movie finds a way to meet each of your criteria for offensive.

I'm not suggesting that you've not seen that level of heavy handed supervision, but it is disingenuous to suggest that it is a fleet wide phenomena.

Then again, it's easier to complain with broad generalizations.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Long, long ago and at sea far, far away, and during a very long and extended line period our ensign movie officer did himself proud. In fairly rapid succession over a few nights, he rolled:

1. The Age of Consent, with a very young and often naked Helen Mirren bouncing around on a South Sea island.
2. Shampoo, with Warren Beatty fulfilling everyone's fantasy with the young and beautiful women of Hollywood.
3. Pretty Maids all in a Row - with a young Angie Dickenson showing off an unbelievable body.

films-1969-age-of-consent.jpg shampoo.jpg angie-dickinson-pretty-maids-all-in-a-row.jpg

[Edit: Oh I almost forgot. When we almost had our fill of skin, the movie officer then rolled the "most-morts-per-minute" film we had ever seen - The Wild Bunch! The ready room went bananas, and the skipper gave the movie officer a field promotion to jg!]
(Spoiler Alert)

[Another edit: He looks a lot different today so I don' think he would mind my posting his pic ... but this was our Movie Officer Ensign at an early Dinning Out... just for perspective. Looks like he had a few ribbons too, for an 'enzyme'. And they were hard to get unless truly earned at that time.]
ltf.jpg

Good times!!!!!!

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord

I don't know what squadron/airwing you're in, but it sounds like it blows.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I don't know what squadron/airwing you're in, but it sounds like it blows.

That's the difference between you and me. My observations aren't from my time in the 1 squadron that I've been a part of in the fleet. These are broad generalizations that I am making about the Navy today.

I'm glad that there are CAGs out there who will sit down and watch a good old fashion roll-em with his people. Congrats. But if you want to talk about disingenuous, or just plain ignorance, then lets keep acting like things are just the same way that they have been. Keep it up and maybe you'll get Brett fired.

Warning: The following examples didn't happen at my current command. I asked to be where I am and love it. I'm in one of the best VFA squadrons in the fleet and wouldn't ask to be anywhere else. So lackeys, please stop acting like I hate my life and command.

I've seen callsigns go away. I've seen follies go away. I've seen XO cruise boxes go away. I've seen dudes get in trouble for swearing at follies. I've seen COs get fired on multiple occasions because they hurt people feelings.
You are one roll-em away from someone walking in and seeing what's on the TV and getting offended and start crying about their feelings.