• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst parts of Naval Aviation

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I feel like Papa Romeo has the potential to be worse than normal duty. I guess time will tell :)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I thought aviators don't stand watch all that often. Or at the very least, not as often as the SWOs do.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I thought aviators don't stand watch all that often. Or at the very least, not as often as the SWOs do.

Probably depends, but in a single seat squadron, it is still a decent amount. I'm sure every squadron works it differently, but for us, the more senior JO's typically do it a couple three times a month, and everyone else below does it 3-4 times. That doesn't include wave days for the Paddles, and PR for non-paddles. Throw in pri-fly a few times a week, and there is a decent amount of duty. My impression of SWO is that duty is actually part of your primary job......is that not correct? (to the SWO'rriors that is) In other words, you have to stand it to get your warfare pin, and after that, it is still what a SWO does. If that is the case, then that would be akin to flights for us......which are every day basically, or nearly that. When we say watch, it is SDO which happens every single day on the squadron level for a JO aviator or maybe a pounder on no fly days, not bridge watch, which I guess some aviators probably do on a dissasoc.....but in general, that is not what we are talking about

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always heard it this way:

ENS- loss of common sense
LTJG- installation of bullshit detector
LT- loss of feelings
LCDR- loss of frontal lobe/soul
CDR- loss of spine
CAPT- loss of heart
RDML+- loss of perception of reality

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably depends, but in a single seat squadron, it is still a decent amount. I'm sure every squadron works it differently, but for us, the more senior JO's typically do it a couple three times a month, and everyone else below does it 3-4 times. That doesn't include wave days for the Paddles, and PR for non-paddles. Throw in pri-fly a few times a week, and there is a decent amount of duty.
I see no mention of JO watches such as:

1. Aircraft Integrity Watch Officer - underway during non-flight quarters hours. (hangar & flight deck tiedowns, and FF stations).
2. Boat Officer - when anchored out, for safety responsibility for both Officer & Enlisted liberty boats.
3. Shore Patrol Officer - during foreign/domestic port calls, as requested by local Police/Permanent Military Police HQ.
4. Various vessel security small craft patrols depending upon alert level.

At least that's what it used to wuz 'back in the day'!;)
BzB

BigRed389

None
Probably depends, but in a single seat squadron, it is still a decent amount. I'm sure every squadron works it differently, but for us, the more senior JO's typically do it a couple three times a month, and everyone else below does it 3-4 times. That doesn't include wave days for the Paddles, and PR for non-paddles. Throw in pri-fly a few times a week, and there is a decent amount of duty. My impression of SWO is that duty is actually part of your primary job......is that not correct? (to the SWO'rriors that is) In other words, you have to stand it to get your warfare pin, and after that, it is still what a SWO does. If that is the case, then that would be akin to flights for us......which are every day basically, or nearly that. When we say watch, it is SDO which happens every single day on the squadron level for a JO aviator or maybe a pounder on no fly days, not bridge watch, which I guess some aviators probably do on a dissasoc.....but in general, that is not what we are talking about

Broad brush picture, for the FFG/CRUDES/LPD side:
O-1: Duty INCONUS 6/wk. If you've (the command) been bad, it can become 4 or 3/wk. Like when the entire LANTFLT somehow collectively forgot how to not have ND's with the M240: http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/accidental-gunshots-navy-ships-prompt-review
You'll stand OOD Inport. Man the quarterdeck once during the duty day for ~5hrs.
O-2/3: INCONUS CDO, you've got the ship at the end of the day. Depending on how liberal CO is in designating CDOs, you can see it rotate between up to 17 CDO's (good deal) to just the DH's (just terrible).
Rumor always was big decks have more sections to work with.

Standing watch underway would be the closest equivalent to flights, so yeah, at least once a day if not more. That basically is the primary non-administrative reason you exist. Bridge, CIC, or engineering.

Inport duty is probably the shittiest part of being a SWO ENS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

1. Aircraft Integrity Watch Officer - underway during non-flight quarters hours. (hangar & flight deck tiedowns, and FF stations).
2. Boat Officer - when anchored out, for safety responsibility for both Officer & Enlisted liberty boats.
3. Shore Patrol Officer - during foreign/domestic port calls, as requested by local Police/Permanent Military Police HQ.

BzB

Hit me back at about my 10 year mark of active duty sir and I can probably confirm or deny what happens on a modern combat deployment........God knows at 5 1/2 years, I have only seen multiple wars from land and sea alike against NC and FL :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

BzB
BZB,
The only underway watches were SDO, Pri-Fly & CATTC. The watches you listed are all in-port/anchored on deployment.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

BzB

The caveat, being senior shore patrol is actually a pretty sweet deal. Hotel paid for by the boat, your own car, also paid for by the boat, per diem, and you "have" to go check out and verify all those shady single mom dance joints that end up getting blacklisted...or so I've heard

robav8r

None
Contributor
Ah yes, Boat O & Shore Patrol. Two of the biggest Red Asses on deployment. But holy shit, some of the funniest things I have ever seen occured standing those two watches :)

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BZB,
The only underway watches were SDO, Pri-Fly & CATTC. The watches you listed are all in-port/anchored on deployment.

And the Romeo/Papa watches, like MIDNJAC mentioned. O-3s stand Romeo, O-4s stand Papa, at least in CVW-7. And yes, those watches were a royal pain in the ass, especially on OEF fly days or during Gulf ops.