• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst parts of Naval Aviation

azguy

None
Broad brush picture, for the FFG/CRUDES/LPD side:
O-1: Duty INCONUS 6/wk. If you've (the command) been bad, it can become 4 or 3/wk. Like when the entire LANTFLT somehow collectively forgot how to not have ND's with the M240: http://hamptonroads.com/2010/09/accidental-gunshots-navy-ships-prompt-review
You'll stand OOD Inport. Man the quarterdeck once during the duty day for ~5hrs.
O-2/3: INCONUS CDO, you've got the ship at the end of the day. Depending on how liberal CO is in designating CDOs, you can see it rotate between up to 17 CDO's (good deal) to just the DH's (just terrible).
Rumor always was big decks have more sections to work with.

Standing watch underway would be the closest equivalent to flights, so yeah, at least once a day if not more. That basically is the primary non-administrative reason you exist. Bridge, CIC, or engineering.

Inport duty is probably the shittiest part of being a SWO ENS.

Agree, and since some on this board have no idea what this means... ENS have duty 1x/week with a shitty watch. JGs have duty 2-3x/month, no watch. Again, this is in port, underway is a different beast.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
Best of (Not standing the AIWO) / worst of (standing the AIWO)

AIWO story time.

Sometime during my stint on CAG 11 staff 91-93, we were once again standing up the Abe's AIWO watch schedule. One evening the IWO was required. A LT in the A-6 squadron reported to the Handler's spaces with his fellow air wing enlisted watchstanders. He took a look at the Handler's LPO/CPO, sitting in the Handler's chair of course, and politely and professionally informed him, "I am the AIWO and I will sit in that chair, thank you". The Handler's LPO/CPO took issue with that and the AIWO opened the ship's SOP/Instruction about the AIWO, pointed to a statement that the AIWO was the Handler's representative in all matters. The LPO/CPO left the spaces, a few minutes later the Handler arrived, read the instruction, thanked the AIWO and released him, and of course the air wing enlisted, for the night. CAG came into the CAG staff spaces the next morning and let me know that the Air Wing would not be standing AIWO any more. The CO of the ship had let him know at their morning meeting. All very cordial. That day I ran to ground what had happened. The story spread like wildfire and needless to say, the LT had his 15 minutes of fame...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What are the Papa/Romeo watches?

As best described to me, Papa is CAG's duty stander, Romeo is the Ship's Captain's watch.....at least wrt flight ops. I haven't stood Papa, but on Romeo, you do comm checks, and you work with squadrons to get airplan changes and load plan changes approved (which can be the result of an emergency, mx problems, or potentially going the other direction as a result of mission tasking changes from the CSG leadership). You can also stand it on a helo/vertrep/nofly day and have absolutely no idea what is going on because you never learned how to read the HSM/HSC lines on the airplan :) I think I know intuitively what a "LOG HIT" is, but maybe not.....

azguy

None
JAC, I think the SWO Gods are going to strip me of my pin for missing the CWC reference, but thanks for the refresher. I definitely didn't think pilots stood watch u/w besides flying. I suppose LAMPS guys do LSO, but that's not a watch in the traditional sense.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
JAC, I think the SWO Gods are going to strip me of my pin for missing the CWC reference, but thanks for the refresher. I definitely didn't think pilots stood watch u/w besides flying. I suppose LAMPS guys do LSO, but that's not a watch in the traditional sense.

The primary watch JO pilots stand is SDO. It starts slightly before flight ops, and ends after they are complete and all inventories, ops summaries, etc are finished. Ashore, it is pretty much the same deal. Either way, it is typically a 12-15 hr day, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. It involves a lot of extraneous stuff, but on the most basic level, you coordinate between maintenance, pilots, and when afloat, with air ops/CATCC/prifly/deck control to execute the flight schedule. It's the kind of watch where you have 2 hrs of nothing pressing, and then all of a sudden 3 people decide to call simultaneously, the Skipper needs you to do something, airman schmuckateli needs you to do his job for him and cant figure out that the SDO is not an appropriate person to call, and an in flight emergency is suddenly in progress.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As best described to me, Papa is CAG's duty stander, Romeo is the Ship's Captain's watch.....at least wrt flight ops. I haven't stood Papa, but on Romeo, you do comm checks, and you work with squadrons to get airplan changes and load plan changes approved (which can be the result of an emergency, mx problems, or potentially going the other direction as a result of mission tasking changes from the CSG leadership). You can also stand it on a helo/vertrep/nofly day and have absolutely no idea what is going on because you never learned how to read the HSM/HSC lines on the airplan :) I think I know intuitively what a "LOG HIT" is, but maybe not.....

To add on, as Romeo on OEF fly days you'll also have to coordinate with the CAOC to amend lines on the ATO, send spares in country, and request tanker changes if needed. I hope you guys don't end up standing it on no fly days. It would be a complete waste of time, because our helo guys just did their comms checks on their own.

The worst part of Romeo or Papa is that you have a spotlight on you the whole day, so the airwing's problems for the day are your problems.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The worst part of Romeo or Papa is that you have a spotlight on you the whole day, so the airwing's problems for the day are your problems.

Yep, that is sort of what I was getting at. Then again, anytime you are within 10 miles of the ship, the spotlight of the airwing is on you as well :) As for standing it no fly day, that wasn't the norm, just a good way to get some of us without previous PR experience a look at it when it wasn't real demanding.....at least that is what I assumed at the time

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
The primary watch JO pilots stand is SDO. It starts slightly before flight ops, and ends after they are complete and all inventories, ops summaries, etc are finished. Ashore, it is pretty much the same deal. Either way, it is typically a 12-15 hr day, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. It involves a lot of extraneous stuff, but on the most basic level, you coordinate between maintenance, pilots, and when afloat, with air ops/CATCC/prifly/deck control to execute the flight schedule. It's the kind of watch where you have 2 hrs of nothing pressing, and then all of a sudden 3 people decide to call simultaneously, the Skipper needs you to do something, airman schmuckateli needs you to do his job for him and cant figure out that the SDO is not an appropriate person to call, and an in flight emergency is suddenly in progress.

If memory serves you're also "Squadron Movie Officer" responsible for procuring a good evening movie for the ready room...