• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst parts of Naval Aviation

afsf1

As the topic states, looking for some input on this. From what I have gathered,

-long hours (consistently >40hr weeks)
-some politicking involved

Any insight appreciated

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Being deployed to the other side of the world when your daughter is born has got to be on the list somewhere.

PCS'ing every couple of years gets difficult as your kids start making friends.

Staff work.

That being said, I have no regrets!

Moving way too often.

Not knowing your schedule for tomorrow until it's published in the afternoon/evening.

So far it's worth it though

Flugelman

Contributor
Moving way too often.

Not knowing your schedule for tomorrow until it's published in the afternoon/evening.

So far it's worth it though

Trying to write the schedule for tomorrow to get it published by end of the day. When the Maint Chief keeps changing aircraft available/ JO's coming in with "My wife she/ My dog it..." stories. :(:mad:

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
Why "the worst"? How about a different word and the flip side

Best / toughest

- Great friendships that last forever / losing them to something avoidable (I will attend a memorial service for one tomorrow)
- PCSing every 2-3 years and you get to put "not so good" in your rear view mirror / putting "REALLY GOOD" in your rear view mirror
- Job security / you have to get out and if you go corporate you can be axed in a heart beat...for nothing..and with no recourse...no protections
- Challenging rewarding work / finding challenging rewarding work on the outside
- The flying / not flying
- Doing stuff that very very very few people on this planet will ever get to do / not getting to do it anymore
- Flying high enough on a clear day to see the curve of the earth and the deep rich darkness above your canopy/ knowing you may never see that again
- Participating in selfless service / dealing with selfishness outside the main gate
- Raising children while on active duty and witness them joining the Navy / watching them join the service knowing how tough it can be

Not sure why your asking the question, but I have no regrets serving. Anything you do in life that is worth doing will have good times and challenging times. It's how you handle those tough times that will define you and those you work with. Good luck figuring whatever it is you are after.

Cheers!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
There's been a lot of things that suck, like getting called just as you crawled into bed to launch the ready or do maintenance turns for the next five hours. Living in remote areas where the goods are odd and the odds are worse or preflighting for five hours to go, or not go. Still, totally worth it like everyone else said. Best seat in the house up front (sorry FOs, unless you're jets then you have a nice view, too). Getting paid to do things people only dream of and at 28, I've taken a $30+ million aircraft overseas with crew to complete a mission, type rated in the 737NG and am at the tip of the spear. Ok, that last one is a joke but you get the point.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure why your asking the question, but I have no regrets serving. Anything you do in life that is worth doing will have good times and challenging times. It's how you handle those tough times that will define you and those you work with. Good luck figuring whatever it is you are after.
Great addition to the thread. In my 22 years... a little bad, a lotta good, and a whole lotta GREAT. Looking back, the good, and great always comes to mind. The not so good, not so much. Yes, I was in Hong Kong when my first child was born. She never was bothered by that!:D

The very baddest of times were losing a Squadron/Shipmate. For me it happened way too many times. The worst one was my squadron Skipper KIA on his first combat mission.:(
BzB

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Not appreciating and enjoying Naval Aviation enough at the time while I was flying in the Navy...Best years of my professional life as a flyer...Now, I just fly a "bus"...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I haven't been in a squadron yet where pilots didn't bitch about something. It's a pastime of pilots everywhere. Just this morning I called my Marine buddy and we were complaining about shit. Some complain more than others. Some become well known for their complaining. Even the quiet ones complain. It's natural -- therapeutic, even. But I can't remember the last time I stared at the clock counting the hours until I could go home.

You have to follow your dreams, you can't always research every little detail and make a tactical decision. Sometimes you just gotta go with it.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I haven't been in a squadron yet where pilots didn't bitch about something. It's a pastime of pilots everywhere. Just this morning I called my Marine buddy and we were complaining about shit. Some complain more than others. Some become well known for their complaining. Even the quiet ones complain. It's natural -- therapeutic, even. But I can't remember the last time I stared at the clock counting the hours until I could go home.

Are you complaining about complaining?
img-thing

:D

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
These are moot. They both apply to the civilian world too for any career oriented profession.

Yep. To add to this, most of those other professions don't give you nearly as much paid leave as the military does - but don't expect to use it all.