• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Woman + Subs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Where I saw it utilized in Japan, it seemed to work pretty well.

And you don't lose a stall, they just gain one, and only if they are willing to pee by themselves!

But seriously, I've often wondered if anyone had bothered to design a women's room with larger capacity than it's co-located men's room. Cuz it would make sense to me.

No, you lose one. They are pissing in a stall you would otherwise be using.

Women don't need more stalls, they need to learn how to take a piss in less than 6 minutes.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Where I saw it utilized in Japan, it seemed to work pretty well.

And you don't lose a stall, they just gain one, and only if they are willing to pee by themselves!

But seriously, I've often wondered if anyone had bothered to design a women's room with larger capacity than it's co-located men's room. Cuz it would make sense to me.

Actually, either NYC or NY state (forgotten which) mandated that "equal" bathroom accommodations for men and women meant that something like 1.5 or 2 women's toilets had to be built for every male toilet in public buildings in order to achieve equal throughput. Seems to me that "equal" means treating everyone the same, not equality of results, but that's my libertarian streak talking.

There is such a thing as a women's urinal and there is the hole in the floor thing, both of which would serve to equalize the flow, so to speak, but neither is culturally acceptable here.

The "bigger women's room" comment does remind me of the SNL skit from twenty years ago where two guys sneak into the ladies' room to find massages, fans wielded by Egyptian servants, etc.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Actually, either NYC or NY state (forgotten which) mandated that "equal" bathroom accommodations for men and women meant that something like 1.5 or 2 women's toilets had to be built for every male toilet in public buildings in order to achieve equal throughput. Seems to me that "equal" means treating everyone the same, not equality of results, but that's my libertarian streak talking.

There is such a thing as a women's urinal and there is the hole in the floor thing, both of which would serve to equalize the flow, so to speak, but neither is culturally acceptable here.

The "bigger women's room" comment does remind me of the SNL skit from twenty years ago where two guys sneak into the ladies' room to find massages, fans wielded by Egyptian servants, etc.

You're confusing equality with equity. Equality (standardization) is where everyone is treated or does things exactly the same with no regard for individual differences or needs. Equity (fairness) is where everyone's needs or desires are catered to with equal attention.

Most people screaming for equality in any number of issues are not actually screaming for equality; they're screaming for equity. People don't actually want equality, they want to be listened to or accomodated with the same vigor as everyone else. If things don't seem fair to them or they don't feel listened to, they start complaining.

I personally would support the equal throughput idea, though. It seems forward-thinking...

Reactions: m26

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Equality, equity, whatever. I give Jane the exact same thing I give John, it's fair. I don't care what they do with it, how they use it is up to them; they don't like it, tough shit.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I don't know if she learned it because she's so busy at work, but Mrs Beans can actually perform all tasks related to simple urination faster than I. This includes manufacture of a toilet-paper seat cover when seat covers are not provided. I don't know how she does it w/o breaking the sound barrier at least once, but somehow I find her waiting for me at least 60% of the time. Either way, I'm proud of my wife. Maybe she could write an instructional pamphlet on how to do it fast. It could really simplify this problem.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
somehow I find her waiting for me at least 60% of the time. Either way, I'm proud of my wife. Maybe she could write an instructional pamphlet on how to do it fast.

Maybe you should get that enlarging prostate looked at.:eek:

A4s or one of the old guys may be able to hook you up with some meds for that.

Fulcrum

I almost like the idea, I spent the last 5 years under the water most of the time only to arrive home and have my wife complain about how easy my job must be. I would love to supervise her field day for a few hours, not to mention the extra money she'd bring home. But then again I kind of like not having to lower toilet seats underway.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, if it worked on-board the pink-painted Sea Tiger, then it'll work in the real Navy.

-ea6bflyr ;)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=51571

"Besides the incoming officers from the Naval Academy, ROTC and OCS, the first women submariners will include female supply corps officers at the department head level, Roughead said. The change will be phased in over time to include enlisted female sailors on the SSBN and SSGNs, he said. Women will be added to the Navy's SSN fast-attack submarines after necessary modifications can be determined, he said."
I guess they want to start small and see how it works before going the NUC route.

In my experience, the CHOP stood DOOW. It will be interesting to see how to the control room handles a female DOOW who cannot maintain depth at PD in rough seas. I know that male CHOPs in this situation were razzled pretty badly at times.

Here is another good read:
http://www.14olcott.net/images/stories/john/Submarines/WomenServingAboardSubmarines_JAM_022410.pdf

Cleonard19

Contributor
I guess they want to start small and see how it works before going the NUC route.

In my experience, the CHOP stood DOOW. It will be interesting to see how to the control room handles a female DOOW who cannot maintain depth at PD in rough seas. I know that male CHOPs in this situation were razzled pretty badly at times.

Sounds to me like they're trying to protect the "pioneers" from 5 hours in Maneuvering with no other khaki in sight, and the shenanigans that may or may not take place on the 1 hour engine room tour... :D :p

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
It will be interesting to see how to the control room handles a female DOOW who cannot maintain depth at PD in rough seas. I know that male CHOPs in this situation were razzled pretty badly at times.

I'm gonna give you a chance to re-phrase this because it may not be what you meant.

To me...it sounds like you're saying if a male has a hard time (gets razzled) then heaven help how a woman would react. And not only that, but somehow everyone would react differently to a woman being under high stress versus a man.

People all react differently. I'm no submariner, but how female pilots handle emergencies in the aircraft can be just as calm or frazzled as a male pilot. And the crewman/copilot react to the PERSON, not the gender. And yes, you can say women in GENERAL are more emotional and tend to freak out (I'll give you that), but the average woman is not the one doing these jobs. I'd appreciate a little benefit of the doubt.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
"Besides the incoming officers from the Naval Academy, ROTC and OCS, the first women submariners will include female supply corps officers at the department head level, Roughead said. The change will be phased in over time to include enlisted female sailors on the SSBN and SSGNs, he said. Women will be added to the Navy's SSN fast-attack submarines after necessary modifications can be determined, he said."
It's interesting to note for the non-submariner types reading this that even a boot Ensign chop is considered a DH on a submarine, so they're not necessarily phasing it in at the level of command that some people might be thinking of.
Probably the same way they handle men. When push comes to shove, Sailors don't give a shit about what's below the waistline of a watchstander, they only care whether or not you can get the job done. It's the off-watch shenanigans where the problems start to arise.
but the average woman is not the one doing these jobs. I'd appreciate a little benefit of the doubt.
Exactly. They've also gone through the same training as their male counterparts, which includes being "razzled" routinely.

m26

Contributor
It's interesting to note for the non-submariner types reading this that even a boot Ensign chop is considered a DH on a submarine, so they're not necessarily phasing it in at the level of command that some people might be thinking of.

I knew that supply officers on SSNs were DH's... is that true on SSBNs too?