• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Woman + Subs

Renegade One

None
Blah blah blah....
You had me at Brigadier General and feeding you nuts...but was she hot?;)

About all the 7X7 time....is that FO time? Do FOs log/track that? I have no issue with that...frankly always wondered if they tracked it. Very NFO-ish...

Oh, by the way...we need a link to her on-line bio with pic. Just sayin'...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
About all the 7X7 time....is that FO time? Do FOs log/track that? I have no issue with that...frankly always wondered if they tracked it. Very NFO-ish...
Of course FOs log their flight time. They are copilots logging second-in-command (SIC) time according to the FAA and second pilot time in Navy speak. The difference is where a Navy pilot logs second pilot when he's the PNF (pilot not flying) and first pilot when he is the PF (pilot flying), the civilian copilot logs SIC regardless if he is PF or PNF. So it's very pilot-ish not very NFO-ish.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It'll be a big deal until it's no longer a big deal. Just like women on/in (fill in the blank).

KBayDog

It'll be a big deal until it's no longer a big deal. Just like women on/in (fill in the blank).

I agree - At some point, sooner rather than later, it'll cease to be a big deal to us (where the rubber meets the road).

However, the rub is that it will always be a big deal to them...as long as there are "special" organizations and occasions to remind everyone how different they are. We speak out of both sides of our mouths when we have annual quarterly monthly weekly training (and I use that term for Death by Power Point very, very loosely) that directs us to treat everyone equally, but yet have this training during one of the myriad of DoD-approved "Hyphenated-American Heritage Months."

So, what is it? Are we all equal, or are some more equal than others?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Your rhetorical question doesn't follow from your post - they're disconnected. The othering of people who aren't, uh - white and male, I guess - with the italicized "them" is a great example of what perpetuates the constellation of external support groups and does little to bring people together.

Put another way, people wouldn't look to such organizations for mentorship, networking, and support if they were getting it organically from their workplace environment.

KBayDog

Well spun, squorch. I would have expected nothing less.

Them, in this case, is the "higher" that wants to appear to be Doing Something about problems that may/may not actually exist.

I know I'm old-fashioned (and, in 2012, not being realistic), but I'm of the opinion that the DoD exists to provide for our nation's "Defense" - not to be a captive audience for social engineering.

Renegade One

None
Of course FOs log their flight time. They are copilots logging second-in-command (SIC) time according to the FAA and second pilot time in Navy speak. The difference is where a Navy pilot logs second pilot when he's the PNF (pilot not flying) and first pilot when he is the PF (pilot flying), the civilian copilot logs SIC regardless if he is PF or PNF. So it's very pilot-ish not very NFO-ish.
My bad...I TOTALLY misread FO as FA in MIDNJACs post...and am therefore guilty of "stereotyping" as well. Sorry for the burble... Makes much more sense that she'd be part of the Flight Deck crew.

That said, she also would seem to be a bit senior/experienced to still be an FO...although I have no idea about that. When you upgrade to a different T/M/S, do you revert to FO until you gain seniority again for Captain in that aircraft?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Them, in this case, is the "higher" that wants to appear to be Doing Something about problems that may/may not actually exist.
C'mon man, own it!
However, the rub is that it will always be a big deal to them...as long as there are "special" organizations and occasions to remind everyone how different they are.
Just so I understand - "them" and "they" in your sentence are referring to Big Navy/USMC/DOD? Or was it something else?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think that's why they're starting with the boomers and attempting to assign what looks like a quorum to each boat so racks, etc, aren't as big of an issue.
It was formally announced before these women even got to boomers that they'd be on fast attacks starting 2014-2015ish. The boomer "experiment" was a success before it began.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was formally announced before these women even got to boomers that they'd be on fast attacks starting 2014-2015ish. The boomer "experiment" was a success before it began.
To be fair, what would the experiment have looked like if it were a failure? It's not like there could have been any lessons learned from the boomer experience to warrant not proceeding with the plan. It's a trial run to work out the kinks. So to say it was a success before it began is a little disingenuous when it wasn't a pass/fail scenario.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
To be fair, what would the experiment have looked like if it were a failure? It's not like there could have been any lessons learned from the boomer experience to warrant not proceeding with the plan. It's a trial run to work out the kinks. So to say it was a success before it began is a little disingenuous when it wasn't a pass/fail scenario.
I don't know... but there most definitely will be lessons learned. The point is that they didn't use any data obtained from women on boomers to decide if it is also logistically feesible to put them on fast attacks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's what I'm saying though. This isn't a feasability study, per se, but a phased introduction. Let's be honest, women are going to end up in the sub community - that decision has already been made. Whining about the methodology of that inevitability just looks petty.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your rhetorical question doesn't follow from your post - they're disconnected. The othering of people who aren't, uh - white and male, I guess - with the italicized "them" is a great example of what perpetuates the constellation of external support groups and does little to bring people together.

Put another way, people wouldn't look to such organizations for mentorship, networking, and support if they were getting it organically from their workplace environment.

This. Women only make up 6% of aviators according to that PERS-43 brief posted a couple months back, so even in communities like MPRA which tend to have more women than the tacair side, it's still very possible there could be only one or two women in the squadron. Overall my experiences with the guys in my squadron have been positive, though I have in my time overheard a few (though I thought they were douchebags even before they made such comments) that they wish there weren't women present, but that hasn't really bothered me. I know not everyone I meet in the Navy is going to be cool with me being there, but so what? The things that have been telling to me are the subtle exclusions where invitations to things will only be presented to the males in the wardroom, or information and mentorship won't be offered to a new female JO unless it comes from another female. I think some guys are afraid of being offensive, and with the PC environment perpetuated sometimes I can understand that, but if you refuse to interact with a subset of your squadron, it's only natural they're going to isolate themselves sometimes. So, moral of the story, don't get pissed off when we go out for a girls night on deployment.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
That said, she also would seem to be a bit senior/experienced to still be an FO...although I have no idea about that. When you upgrade to a different T/M/S, do you revert to FO until you gain seniority again for Captain in that aircraft?
Captain upgrade is all about what your seniority can hold. You bid for Captain and you bid for which aircraft. If you really want to fly a specific aircraft but you seniority won't hold Captain in it, then you can bid the aircraft as an FO. Most that have made Captain do not change to another aircraft unless they can hold Captain on it. Captain is normally a significant pay increase over FO and if you bid to a FO slot, you're taking a voluntary pay cut.

United hasn't hired in years and still has pilots on furlough. I'm not surprised that a 10 year pilot there is a FO. In any major, 10+ years as a FO isn't that unusual either.