• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why Building 89 = Hell...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...that building smells like old balls.
Hey, what you and John do together is your business, but let's not tell everyone about it. Mmmmkaaaaay?

Circle K

pilot
KBay, the sim bay here at whiting is nothing like Building 89.

Corpus = sometimes as few as 4 sims working on a given day and no sims set aside for just CPTs so they are packed.

Whiting = sims as far as the eye can see... and the old guys sit far enough away that they can't rip open the canopy.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Yeah, Shooters don't do standby, and in TRAWING-5 if you miss a sim, stand by to get a SOLID chewing and other troubles...never missed one, but definately have seen it. Maybe that is why TRAWING-5 has no sim standby.

The only standby for flying I had in VT-6 I put myself on, just hoping SOMEONE would cancel.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
For all of you that are waiting to start the pipeline...don't let any of this taint your desires to go to primary one location or the other. IT WILL ALL CHANGE... the wait times, the lengths of the pipeline, the """"better"""" squadron, which squadron has more standyby, which squadron has better % of getting jets...etc etc

For an example, when I went through Corpus there was absolutely no wait to start primary. VT-28 had no sim standby but was known for it's sim "double-pumps" and 28 guys were getting through the syllabus 4-6 weeks faster than 27 guys at the time. Several months after I left it flip-flopped.

Back on topic, I still vividly remember the Bldg 89 smell, instant depression every time I walked into that Bldg....smelled like coffee and dead people.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Don't forget the crusty old lady downstairs, who's niccotine laced breath you could actually SEE come out of her mouth. She always appeared friendly, but it always seemed like there was a royal bitch waiting to go ballistic at a moment's notice.

CircleK, you're right about the old guys being so close in Corpus. I had the canopy yanked open and was smacked in the helmet a few times by one old dude in particular. Not that I didn't deserve it, mind you.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
gaijin6423 said:
Don't forget the crusty old lady downstairs, who's niccotine laced breath you could actually SEE come out of her mouth. She always appeared friendly, but it always seemed like there was a royal bitch waiting to go ballistic at a moment's notice.

And she was never able to answer my questions. I don't know what her job was, cause she wasn't helpful at all. I asked about the lost and found box/shelf one day and she just looked at me like I was crazy and speaking German.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Had to have been all those years of niccotine and mothball fumes in Bldg 89. Her brain was rotted out. Either that, or she just didn't like SNAs, which is a distinct possibility, given her severe disdainful looks whenever I asked for the PROFSIT book on the (very) rare occasion that one was available. I think I got 5 total PROFSITs the entire time I was there.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
gregsivers said:
Thats debatable. I love how the commisary is about the size of a Circle K in Corpus.

If you think that's small, you should see the one in Kingsville.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
KBayDog said:
Smaller than Whiting's? That's un-possible.

Oh yes, Kingsville is just trying to come up with as many reasons as possible why it sucks as hard as it does

rare21

pilot
Contributor
anyone remember the j.g. with a cane? talked to some of the newbies when checking in? the only thing he did was show folks how to cheat the system during primary?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
E5B said:
Back on topic, I still vividly remember the Bldg 89 smell, instant depression every time I walked into that Bldg....smelled like coffee and dead people.

Me too....Same feeling of dread. I remember all of the "4 horsemen's" names....I won't post them here, but you all know who they were... (You all probably being in the '98 '99 time frame). Probably still working there.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
oh yes I remember, I swear that smell comes from sacrificing goats to the devil there nightly.