• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who flies the Buckeye?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In VT-10 we flew the T-1A, the Navy's version of the T-33. It was fun but it showed me enough of tacair to help me decide to go VP when my VAH slot was taken away.
No A-6 B/N's then .... ???

BTW ... to the original thread post .... we did lots of spins in the T-2 Buckeye ... I think this was the only jet trainier to INTENTIONALLY do spins in the 60-80's time frame ... ???

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my defense, I didn't consider OCONUS with that remark :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Squeeze and the rest...

I think that's the point I was trying to get at. Many are looking at it from the point of view as Professional Instrument Student/Pilots. But out in the real world, we can't all hold hands in our clown planes. GPS is very easy to jam locally, so Ahkmed can sit up in his mountain hooch under the approach to a FARP and jack w/ their approach (just generalizing).

Squeeze, again, don't know about Galileo, but if it comes online in 2008, does it use a different tech than GPS? If so, making demands to get a modern GPS system in our aircraft that someone has to pay for, and then losing its capabilities due to OPSEC, and then saying there's a better, new system we can use seems to be counterproductive and expensive. And we got no cash. And Squeeze, I'm not trying to single you out personally, you just brought an option to the discussion which complicates things if it wasn't procured correctly.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The a$$-old T-39 got TCAS plugged into it too... worked a lot nicer than NACWS...

And yeah, Brett, same deal with the Hornet GPS/INS system... if that's what's holding us up from being certified, I'm knackered. Ehh, doesn't matter-- we could still shoot the approach in extremis-- not like lacking a civilian ILS (nother story entirely, ugh)
We got ILS. What, is your jet too good for ILS?;)

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Galileo is intended to be non-encrypted (military-wise) and free for everyone (increased accuracy service available via upgrade). And since it uses far better clocks than the current gen GPS system, it will be FAR, FAR more accurate (4m regular, 1m upgraded commercial).

Of course the US gov't has been protesting the idea from the get go.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Of course the US gov't has been protesting the idea from the get go.

And that makes total sense, since they can't control when it works and when it doesn't. Funny how an atomic clock is SO yesterday's technology and not accurate enough. I demand to have a Star Trek transporter device by next summer.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
the Gooks of Hazard
OMG! No you didn't!

I think this was the only jet trainier to INTENTIONALLY do spins in the 60-80's time frame ... ???

Actually, from the 60's till '04 when they retired it! Rudder triplet departures are a thing of the past....but they were oh so fun!

airwinger

pilot
I loved the Buckeye, I remember starting intermediate with 65 hours in the T-34 and being asked if I could fly and mumbling something. After form, guns, FCLPS, rudder triplets, full spins in the T-2, I would have replied "If its got wings, I can fly it"

Still my favorite airplane. No tricks to her, pulll the stick back and she'll give you everything she's got and not pitch back(T-45) or depart(prowler)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Old? The Navy acquired T-39Ns starting in the early 90s...

This is not really correct, or, for that matter, relevant. The Navy had been using T-39s since the 1960s for NFO training. In 1985, the T-39D was retired in favor of the short-lived T-47. In the early 90s, the old T-39D airframes were given a service life extension and fitted with the APG-66 to be radar birds for VT-86. So yes, they are the same old-a$$ planes we've been using on and off since at least the 1970s. The point is that if you can stick a TCAS box in the Strike Pig, you can put it in damned near anything.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Even though we don't teach it in The Nav or Air Funk, you can still fly VFR when all else fails. Of course unless your going into Peking or Souda Bay after a 13 hr leg.

Scratcher

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even though we don't teach it in The Nav or Air Funk, you can still fly VFR when all else fails. Of course unless your going into Peking or Souda Bay after a 13 hr leg.

Scratcher

VFR seems a mysterious concept to any military aviator who never flew anything civilian. It can be quite funny. "Why don't we go VFR?"..."You can do that?!" Yes I've heard this.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sack up and go Special VFR sometime. Cloud surfing at 500 agl is a good time