• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who flies the Buckeye?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
why is it that anytime someone brings up IFR stuff, somebody has to point out how hard it is with an NDB?

NEWSFLASH: If you're flying IFR with only an NDB, you're a fvcking moron.

Right...especially if the NDB is the only approach available...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right...especially if the NDB is the only approach available...

Spoken by a man that has been in and out of a few third work countries. Every airline I know of still trains it pilots to fly NDBs. And they expect them to do a damn fine job of it if it means getting into some third world airport where the "advertise" a VOR (again, non precision) approach and radar, but they are down 8 months out of the year. I am sure th lilitary bases in the war zones of Iraq nd Afganistan have better terminal navaids then most third world airports US airlines fly into every day.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And yes, NDB approaches are easy, but why does someone always have to come back with some "there I was in my 172, flying an NDB approach" in every IFR-related thread?

And this is why they have GPS/INS.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And thank you United States Navy for being way behind the times in regards to GPS IFR navigation.

Never thought I'd miss the old Turbo-weenie in advanced, but man, that GPS was money . . .

They're going to have to catch up sooner or later. Ever notice the funny blue lines appearing on your IFR High and Low charts?? :eek:

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
And thank you United States Navy for being way behind the times in regards to GPS IFR navigation.

no kidding

grandpa in his 1970's 172 that's worth $35k went out and bought himself an IFR certified GPS

but us flying around in our $40 million jets don't have one

our bombs that make one-way trips have a better receiver than our aircraft do :p

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But does your grandpa's GPS units have crypto attached? Will it be able to pull 10 g's or take repeated "crash" landings to a flight deck? Can it operate in 130+ and -20 degree weather? I understand your guys' point, but keep in mind that it might not always be sunshine and lollypops. If there's a need, they'll turn the encryption back on to keep the bad guys from using it.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
no kidding

grandpa in his 1970's 172 that's worth $35k went out and bought himself an IFR certified GPS

but us flying around in our $40 million jets don't have one

our bombs that make one-way trips have a better receiver than our aircraft do :p

Pshh... I have yet to hear an intelligent reason why the T-6 GPS was IFR certified but the Rhino's ultra-gucci GPS/INS/moving-map is not. There's no reason we can't navigate off that.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
But does your grandpa's GPS units have crypto attached? Will it be able to pull 10 g's or take repeated "crash" landings to a flight deck? Can it operate in 130+ and -20 degree weather? I understand your guys' point, but keep in mind that it might not always be sunshine and lollypops. If there's a need, they'll turn the encryption back on to keep the bad guys from using it.

I also understand your point. However, every other piece of avionics we have in our aircraft can already do that, I can't imagine making a "tougher" IFR certified GPS receiver would be that much more difficult.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also understand your point. However, every other piece of avionics we have in our aircraft can already do that, I can't imagine making a "tougher" IFR certified GPS receiver would be that much more difficult.

GPS devices are almost all solid-state... they care little about shock and perform fine in temperature extremes. Even my hand held Garmin is rated for 6g's and temps from 5-158F and that thing was only $200 ish.

The military seems to have this real aversion to utilizing GPS to the utmost of it's abilities.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't speak for the Hornet system, but the reason the Prowler GPS is not IFR certified (which really only means you can't shoot a GPS approach, BFD) is because the end-user has the ability to modify the DAFIF defined waypoints. Can someone explain to me why having an IFR certified GPS is so important? What have I been missing out on all these years?:D

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The military seems to have this real aversion to utilizing GPS to the utmost of it's abilities.
Yay AirNavs . . . I'm sure if I had a IFR - certified GPS in the T-45 it would just be the first thing the instructor would fail . . . :icon_tong

ip568

None
T-1a

In VT-10 we flew the T-1A, the Navy's version of the T-33. It was fun but it showed me enough of tacair to help me decide to go VP when my VAH slot was taken away.

showimage.php