• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting BOQ

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The perks are endless....free coffee downstairs, free USA today, stumbling (maybe even crawling) distance from cheap drinks at Aces, and $7 will buy you a great haircut, a massage, and 15 minutes of "The Price is Right" in the lobby! You can't put a price on those benefits.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I just read this thread from the beginning and am shaking my head. It appears to me that the overwhelming sense of entitlement that has polluted the rest of our society is showing itself in this conversation.

Lets remind ourselves of a few things:

You're a student naval aviatior who's only job in life is to do as well as you can on every event and move onto your next stage of training. Its not the Nav's responsibility to get you into a sweet condo with a view. Its there job to train you and put wings on your chest.

As Gator Dev has pointed out earlier - if you signed a lease without orders in hand to API or Primary for that matter....shut up, you're done complaining.

I agree with Semper Gumbi that if they force you to break an existing lease and move, then you have a legitimate complaint.

If your are a brand new ensign straight out school who feels like you're getting screwed because you are missing a chance to show off your FTI at Barnes and Noble, stop. Move to the Q at NASWF, study your ass off and select jets. Stop complaining, its unbecoming. Get over it.

IMHO, this is just another indicator of how things continue to change:

"Its bullshit that I have to live in the Q, this sucks, how can I get out of this..." eventually turns into "well sir, I disagree with the SOD you've just given me, I'm going to talk to the training officer to see what can be done about this...." and other assorted douche-baggery.

I wouldn't mind living in the Q. My only complaint is the lack of communication between commands. The only place that I have heard about this (down here in corpus) is from this website and a LT at our selection brief telling us that we might have to live in the Q if we select helos. I would have no problem if I knew that I had to live in the Q before the movers came and packed me out. If they want us to live in the Q, tell our command to inform us. Finding out that I have to live in the Q when I'm checking in at Whiting with 3500lbs of goods on a truck on its way to Milton and my father on his way with my dog and 4 days worth of clothes in my car just doesn't seem right.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I bet when they went through flight school, no one complained about anything and they loved every minute of living in the q, not making BAH, and thinking about the next year's tailhook convention. Ahh the good ole days of naval aviation, when men were men and women weren't allowed.

Seriously, if you ain't bitchin, you ain't happy. Any JO worth his butterbars ought to be able to think of a million reasons why his situation warrants a waiver to a rule, as they were probably meant to be broken anyways. If they weren't, we'd be in the air force.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
they= those who've gone before us. Wasn't mocking their achievements, or even their opinions. However, being an 0-1 with a good chunk of school to pay off, as well as one who counts on that extra BAH as a part of my income to help pay those bills, it puts the hurting on my wallet when a CO says "My BOQ isn't full...find me bodies to fill it!" and snags 950 a month from his studs. I can't afford that... Helos will not be near the dream sheet, not because I don't think they're a solid platform, but because with a policy like this I can't afford to spend 6 months trying to pay my bills with 1000 bucks less a month going into my checking account.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Although you can pocket a fair amount people keep failing to point out the fact that you will be paying extra money for rent, utilities and the extra gas to drive to work depending on where you live...

My roommate and I have a two bedroom apartment and after utilities its $550 for each of us. So the extra $1000 a month is really closer to $400 (which is still better than nothing).

As for the new studs complaining I don't see anything wrong with it especially if its amongst ourselves. I know they are getting a raw deal when compared to me. People bitch and moan about everything. I am sure there was the same amount of complaining back in the old days when it came down to money...

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I just read this thread from the beginning and am shaking my head. It appears to me that the overwhelming sense of entitlement that has polluted the rest of our society is showing itself in this conversation.

Lets remind ourselves of a few things:

You're a student naval aviatior who's only job in life is to do as well as you can on every event and move onto your next stage of training. Its not the Nav's responsibility to get you into a sweet condo with a view. Its there job to train you and put wings on your chest.

As Gator Dev has pointed out earlier - if you signed a lease without orders in hand to API or Primary for that matter....shut up, you're done complaining.

I agree with Semper Gumbi that if they force you to break an existing lease and move, then you have a legitimate complaint.

If your are a brand new ensign straight out school who feels like you're getting screwed because you are missing a chance to show off your FTI at Barnes and Noble, stop. Move to the Q at NASWF, study your ass off and select jets. Stop complaining, its unbecoming. Get over it.

IMHO, this is just another indicator of how things continue to change:

"Its bullshit that I have to live in the Q, this sucks, how can I get out of this..." eventually turns into "well sir, I disagree with the SOD you've just given me, I'm going to talk to the training officer to see what can be done about this...." and other assorted douche-baggery.

Entitled? I think a little bit, yes. Having lived in a barracks/ship for over 5 years when I finally was able to get my own place I was happy as hell. Since then I've acquired enough stuff that it is more than a minor annoyance to move back into a barracks.

I saw this happen as a young enlisted, people just start getting married because that's one way they see of getting out of the barracks. Now, not everyone is, but I would be willing to bet that if this trend continues that the percentages go up in that respect.

I'm also not looking forward to checking my pistol and shotgun into the armory. Having just applied for a ccw, I might as well throw that away when I get it. I sure as hell am not going to the armory every time I go off and on base.

Pets, yeah I have a couple. I do have arrangements to get them taken care of, but, had I known this was the case more than two-three weeks ago I would have done things differently on the move down here.

It's also not just about money for me. Barracks life just plain sucks for 90% of the time, especially if it is going to be in Milton. Yeah yeah, I realize that our job is to get wings. Well, I didn't join the Navy so that I was consumed with one task, and to keep that as the only priority. Anyone who has lived in a barracks can attest to it, and I would be willing to bet that 90% of them would rather be somewhere else. The oversight of someone coming into my room to inspect it is something that I would not prefer to have. Some of you may say, well what about the Seaman Recruit who is in a barracks at NASP, well to that I say, RHIP. Or at least it used to. Right now the differences in SR and ENS seem to be slimming every time I take a look around. From musters during IFS to being forced into a barracks. People are not being held to standard, and the knee jerks are continually reeling in every ENS for a few screw ups.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
..... Helos will not be near the dream sheet, not because I don't think they're a solid platform, but because with a policy like this I can't afford to spend 6 months trying to pay my bills with 1000 bucks less a month going into my checking account.

Unbelievable.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Unbelievable.

I don't really find it unbelievable. People do many things to relieve short term burdens. Besides, everyone always says you'll like what you end up flying. Well, with that rationale he'll really like it if he's training somewhere that allows him to enjoy the time that he's not studying.