• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Citation3

Excited to add this new piece to my collection. No judgment please, not a poser, just a collector of watches with historical significance. I also like this piece because it carries no personalization like many military X-33's out there.

As mentioned in this Fratellowatches article Omega Speedmaster Professional X-33 3290.50 the Navy flight demonstration team the Blue Angels tested the Generation 1 X-33 for Omega providing valuable feedback allowing Omega to refine the later Generation 2 X-33 currently in use.

"All required specifications were met after 5 years of severe testing and prototyping with the help of European (ESA) and American (NASA) astronauts. Also pilots of the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds were involved in this process."

This watch was worn by the Blue Angel pilot during the 1996 practice and show season.

At the end of the testing period the watch was returned to Omega for refurbishment. Once completed, the watch was offered to the pilot for purchase. The case back was engraved with the Blue Angels patch and returned to the pilot where he's had it in a drawer in its original box without a battery unused for 20+ years. A new battery brought the watch to life and it's performing flawlessly.

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 6.24.59 PM.jpeg

x1463638-8e98e72ba20fe98a44c2790177f71a94.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eaER9t54TQ.jpg

Last edited:

flgator92

None
Watch of the day: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 Automatic (WAY201B.BA0927; one of the few places that still lists it: https://www.jared.com/tag-heuer-men...VQwXv3Hi9fsnLUemy1IaAoeUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds).

I bought this watch as my first watch purchase of ensignhood at Beré Jewelers in Pensacola right after API. First TAG diver to have the ceramic bezel that really makes it pop. Highly recommend Beré also. After an issue with the movement (no surprise from TAG lately, unfortunately), they sent it off to the AD for repair. It came back with cosmetic damage from the ultrasonic cleaner, and Beré fought to ensure they repaired it good as new the second time around. They also gave me a nice military discount on the initial purchase (which another dealer in Virginia Beach did not when I bought my speedy :\ ), so major shout out to Beré for those looking at buying a nice timepiece and living in the 850.
TAGHEUER.jpg

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I bought this watch as my first watch purchase of ensignhood at Beré Jewelers in Pensacola right after API. First TAG diver to have the ceramic bezel that really makes it pop. Highly recommend Beré also. After an issue with the movement (no surprise from TAG lately, unfortunately), they sent it off to the AD for repair. It came back with cosmetic damage from the ultrasonic cleaner, and Beré fought to ensure they repaired it good as new the second time around. They also gave me a nice military discount on the initial purchase (which another dealer in Virginia Beach did not when I bought my speedy :\ ), so major shout out to Beré for those looking at buying a nice timepiece and living in the 850.
View attachment 36158

What led you to go with the aquaracer over seamaster diver or planet ocean? Since you were an ENS, cost makes sense; just wondering if it was something else.

Watch nerds: Which came first between Tag and Omega for this sport diver design? Aquaracers and Seamasters have similar features like the planks on the face and 12-sided bezel. I got dangerously close to buying an Aqua Terra and have been curious about Seamasters since then.

flgator92

None
What led you to go with the aquaracer over seamaster diver or planet ocean? Since you were an ENS, cost makes sense; just wondering if it was something else.

Watch nerds: Which came first between Tag and Omega for this sport diver design? Aquaracers and Seamasters have similar features like the planks on the face and 12-sided bezel. I got dangerously close to buying an Aqua Terra and have been curious about Seamasters since then.
That's a good question. First, the cost delta between the Aquaracer (which only has an ETA movement, to my knowledge) and the Seamaster (which indeed has a coaxial escapement with chronometer certification) was undeniably a major overriding consideration. Also, I wanted to build a collection with a variety of relatively respected Swiss brands from the start and the OMEGA Speedy Moonwatch was one I planned on buying early on so I didn't necessarily want two OMEGAs at the start of my collecting. (Aside: I'm happy I waited on the Speedy for a few years because I can barely take off my 3861. Dare I say, I think the 3861 Speedmaster is a more stunning chrono than a ceramic Daytona, but in my mind that may also have to do with its history and heritage.)

However, I do absolutely love the look of the Aquaterra, and I'm typically not a fan of purely dressier watches vice tool watches. The Aquaterra has a similar plank dial to the Aquaracer and both are gorgeous. I don't know which design came first, but something tells me it *may* have been OMEGA ...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Is it me, or are the Breitlings not displaying the same time?
You are correct. The battery in the Breitling Aerospace was dead and the watch was not running…so dude set it ahead a few minutes. I was supposed to take the pic when the other watches matched the set time of the Aerospace…and of course, I jumped the gun and took the pic too early due to too much Dunkin’.

For the record, it’s Speedy Tuesday and Speedy Wallpaper Tuesday…and I’m utilizing technologies…

648D9C62-306D-43DA-B00C-D53AFBCF53E7.jpeg

8AEC21E1-AF39-4288-92C5-DDA3AEFB8F91.jpeg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Love that Navy blue bezel
Thanks. The blue is due to decades of age since it’s a 1964 model year Speedmaster [105.003 reference]. It looks blue in certain lighting conditions…most of the time it looks black.