• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm curious, when you make an impulse purchase like that, do you have a place picked out you know you'd buy from and then when you're in town, you buy it, or was this just a "I've been wanting this..."

My fun money continues to be earmarked for plane upgrades, but a GMT is still on a "some day, maybe..." list.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'm curious, when you make an impulse purchase like that, do you have a place picked out you know you'd buy from and then when you're in town, you buy it, or was this just a "I've been wanting this..."

My fun money continues to be earmarked for plane upgrades, but a GMT is still on a "some day, maybe..." list.
I kinda stumbled on it on another site and heard horror stories of years-long waiting lists and aftermarket/grey market watches going for double msrp. On a whim I just texted the salesperson I had bought a couple things from for my wife whose store happened to be an AD. She wound up getting me this one in less than a month, maybe impulse is the wrong word but this time a month ago I didn’t know I wanted one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I kinda stumbled on it on another site and heard horror stories of years-long waiting lists and aftermarket/grey market watches going for double msrp. On a whim I just texted the salesperson I had bought a couple things from for my wife whose store happened to be an AD. She wound up getting me this one in less than a month, maybe impulse is the wrong word but this time a month ago I didn’t know I wanted one.

Fair enough. The end result speaks for itself.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was surprised when I came on here years ago and found very expensive watches seemingly so popular with fleet aviators. Clearly, there were enough guys in a several squadrons for the big group purchases. Still, big money for a JO I thought. In my day maybe half a dozen guys would spend a couple hundred dollars in Hong Kong or the Cubi Exchange for the ubiquitous Seiko and Citizen dive watches. No J.O. EVER spent the kind of money a Rolex, Omega or Breitling would cost. We had one bachelor Hinge, sort of a showy type, who wore a Rolex. Even in the Reserves, where several guys were pulling down big money in The Show or had succeeded in business, luxury watches were not a thing.

In 1989 when my Reserve squadron wanted to make a watch purchase, we went direct to an Authorized Dealer. Chico's Pawn and Fine Time Pieces, was the best in all Chula Vista. Maybe you heard of them? For many years they were the official suppliers of chronometers for the annual Over The Line tournament in San Diego and the Tijuana to Ensenada poker run. Nothing but the best for a bunch of Reserve naval aviators. We pooled our money and cut a deal for a squadron customized watch group purchase. Being well off reservists and all around great dudes, we even subsidized the purchase for the enlisted guys.

The Micky Moonlighter was born a classic. Came in at just $35.00 a piece. Did I mention we were cheap ass airline pilots? Still keeps great time over 30 years later. Only "gold tone" watch I own, so it comes out when appropriate for color coordination styling purposes.

Rudy.30

Well I am going to give it a shot.. Put my name down on the list for a no date Sub... They said it would take a year or so.. Now we wait. Until then my Speedy will continue to get 95% of the wrist time. Anyone else have experience on waiting for a Rolex?

ItnStln

Well I am going to give it a shot.. Put my name down on the list for a no date Sub... They said it would take a year or so.. Now we wait. Until then my Speedy will continue to get 95% of the wrist time. Anyone else have experience on waiting for a Rolex?
I've heard there's a long wait over on Watchuseek.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

I got lucky and snagged an Explorer II (polar dial) when I was in Bahrain in 2019. Even there the wait list for Subs was a year and you had to pay in full to get on the “list”, which I think is technically a no-no for Rolex ADs but that place was shady.

Enjoy the wait, it’s worth it. I smile a big shit eating grin every time I wear mine. And I’m still hunting for a Pepsi GMT IIc. Probably more bouncing around the world for me coming up so I’ll keep my eyes posted in ADs. Steel prices went up ~10% this year I think!