• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
I got lucky and snagged an Explorer II (polar dial) when I was in Bahrain in 2019. Even there the wait list for Subs was a year and you had to pay in full to get on the “list”, which I think is technically a no-no for Rolex ADs but that place was shady.

Enjoy the wait, it’s worth it. I smile a big shit eating grin every time I wear mine. And I’m still hunting for a Pepsi GMT IIc. Probably more bouncing around the world for me coming up so I’ll keep my eyes posted in ADs. Steel prices went up ~10% this year I think!

For those looking at the GMT Master II take a look at the Tudor Black Bay GMT. I’d argue just as much functionality without the Rolex baggage. I prefer the 5 digit gmt look as well, the numbers on the ceramic GMT look comically out of proportion to me. Mine is +/- .7 sec, picked up in like new condition from Chrono24 for ~70% MSRP.

Attachments

• D6EDE855-2A38-4A6D-A315-2C8D430EA4A8.jpeg
    D6EDE855-2A38-4A6D-A315-2C8D430EA4A8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
For those looking at the GMT Master II take a look at the Tudor Black Bay GMT. I’d argue just as much functionality without the Rolex baggage. I prefer the 5 digit gmt look as well, the numbers on the ceramic GMT look comically out of proportion to me. Mine is +/- .7 sec, picked up in like new condition from Chrono24 for ~70% MSRP.

I tried one on in Bahrain. Couldn’t pull the trigger, it was just too thick for my wrist. If they could ape the old Rolex GMT Masters and get it thin like the BB58, I’d be all over it (oh and fucking ditch the faux rivets on the bracelet).

Fingers crossed for “watches and wonders” PR thing they do this year.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
I tried one on in Bahrain. Couldn’t pull the trigger, it was just too thick for my wrist. If they could ape the old Rolex GMT Masters and get it thin like the BB58, I’d be all over it (oh and fucking ditch the faux rivets on the bracelet).

Fingers crossed for “watches and wonders” PR thing they do this year.
Can’t disagree. I suppose after wearing my Bremont so much I’m accustomed to thicker watches. It does wear much lighter and thinner feeling on leather if you ever reconsider.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know whether to truly say "oh cool" or just cry, but this collaboration between Omega and Swatch is truly a thing. Quartz movement, $260, and only sold in Swatch stores...I kind of want one. @mad dog ?

View attachment 34716
Why in God's name would Omega agree to this? Watch is attractive. Seems a good value. And horribly devaluing to a worldwide premium brand and iconic watch. I don't get it.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Why in God's name would Omega agree to this? Watch is attractive. Seems a good value. And horribly devaluing to a worldwide premium brand and iconic watch. I don't get it.

Because when people say mechanical watches are back "in", they really mean Rolex/AP/Patek, which are the only brands popular with the Instagram crowd. Unfortunately buying a watch from just about any other mass-produced luxury brand results in an "asset" that depreciates like a stone.

I'm sure Omega is seeing a sales bump from people who can't get their hands on a Rolex, but their philosophy has always been to produce as many models and special editions as they can, and you can walk into an Omega boutique and leave with just about any watch you want. Hence, the Swatch Moonwatch brings a new revenue stream, increased brand awareness, yada yada.

Contrast that with Rolex, which has a comparatively limited catalogue, and is literally filling jewelry cases with display-only models for their entry level watches, and I think you can tell who has the better business model.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It’ll be interesting to see the secondary market, at least initially. Rumors on some watch forums is they may be going for much more than the sticker price. They won’t be available at every Swatch shop so even though it’s not a limited edition it’s a self-imposed exclusivity,

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Seems bad for Omega, but they’re part of the Swatch group, so it’s all money to the business, I suppose.

Personally, I hate it- seems like a manufacturer-sanctioned faux watch to me. But I’ve had a Moonwatch for years, so I don’t think I’m their target market.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would have preferred they hadn't put Speedmaster, in the same font no less, on the face. The black "Mission to the Moon" model is just like a cheap knock off. Premium brands hunt down counterfeit products for a reason. You will not see Louis Vuitton providing their iconic brand to Macy's with the proviso they simply put the Macy's name on it as well. If I was going to go with this project, I would not have allowed the too similar black faced Moonswatch version.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Just bought myself a TBB red bezel. It's a thing of beauty.

IMG-6410.jpg