• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHICH Brown Shoe?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Basically you're asking for anything that fits this description:
b. Females. Plain black, brown or white dress pumps made of smooth leather or synthetic leather, with closed heels and toes. Heels shall be no higher than approximately 2-5/8 inches nor less than approximately 5/8 inch measured from the forward edge, and no wider than approximately 1-3/4 inches at the base. Sole shall be no thicker than approximately 1/4 inch. Wedge heels are not authorized.

Are they that difficult to find? Since the description for men's shoes only mention oxfords, I'm going to sport some Oxford lacing as opposed to the standard blucher when I next have to wear the dinner jacket.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unlike what guys have posted about Florsheims and alternate producers of uniform shoes, yes. There really isn't a civilian market for ugly ass plain leather pumps. Or for regular oxfords for women. So we're stuck with Bates, unless we got custom made shoes.

The Schlem

From an old guy; in my 22 year career I have had to throw out Bates brown and white shoes after maybe wearing them 3 to 4 times due to the soles rotting and falling off. Bates does not care that due to the fact that I only wear my khakis and whites 2 or 3 times a year, that the shoe will become NMC by simply sitting in the closet waiting for the next SDO, CDO, ceremony, etc to see the light of day. Bates suck, plain and simple. Avoid them at all costs. J & M or Allen Edmunds are your best choices. You will save money in the long run.

Renegade One

None

Unlike what guys have posted about Florsheims and alternate producers of uniform shoes, yes. There really isn't a civilian market for ugly ass plain leather pumps. Or for regular oxfords for women. So we're stuck with Bates, unless we got custom made shoes.

I've looked for a thread but haven't found anything- women's shoes. I'm looking for brown pumps that aren't hideous. Suggestions?
Would any of these work? :
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Lifestride-Womens-Sable-Pumps-87908.aspx?c=BROWN
http://www.footsmart.com/P-David-Tate-Womens-Lisa-Pumps-81487.aspx?c=BROWN

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Those would work... and even better, they appear to be a "normal" brown color that you might actually find a "normal" size, style, and in regs purse to match (I know, I ask for too much).

I have a pair of brown pumps I bought from the NEX online probably in 2003-ish, but I don't think they are offered anymore. You might have some luck with NMCRS thrift shops.

Have not decided what rank I'd need to achieve to consider getting shoes and purses custom made!

Thanks for the thread resurrection! R1, can we count on you for all our ladies' footwear needs? :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From an old guy; in my 22 year career I have had to throw out Bates brown and white shoes after maybe wearing them 3 to 4 times due to the soles rotting and falling off. Bates does not care that due to the fact that I only wear my khakis and whites 2 or 3 times a year, that the shoe will become NMC by simply sitting in the closet waiting for the next SDO, CDO, ceremony, etc to see the light of day. Bates suck, plain and simple. Avoid them at all costs. J & M or Allen Edmunds are your best choices. You will save money in the long run.

High alt transit, sea bag in bomb bay or even the tube has enough pressure difference to make the "lite" sole's air pockets expand and contract, eventual sole disintegration.

But I bet your crumbling shoes distracted onlookers from your shiny bald head Schlem.

Renegade One

None
...I have had to throw out Bates brown and white shoes after maybe wearing them 3 to 4 times due to the soles rotting and falling off. Bates does not care that due to the fact that I only wear my khakis and whites 2 or 3 times a year, that the shoe will become NMC by simply sitting in the closet waiting for the next SDO, CDO, ceremony, etc to see the light of day.
High alt transit, sea bag in bomb bay or even the tube has enough pressure difference to make the "lite" sole's air pockets expand and contract, eventual sole disintegration.
Here's how you make them last…however infrequently you wear them…I know it's different today than in my day. These things/methods are your friend:
  1. Good quality (I recommend cedar) shoe-trees/stays. Put them in after every wearing…preserve shape; allow shoes to dry and not "shrink"; minimize creases and flattened toes and uppers. Also they are great for shining/cleaning the shoes…minimize creases, etc.
  2. Shine/clean your shoes before you return to "deep stowage". Yeah, they'll need a "gloss-up" before next wearing, but that's easy…
  3. Soft fabric "shoe bags". You can get them commercially, but I used to make them from the sleeves/legs of worn-out sweat shirts/sweat pants. You get the idea. "Stretch 'em…clean/shine 'em…bag 'em."
  4. For your low-quarter black or brown shoes, never disregard good quality edge dressing for the welts, edges, heels. Your old DI will smile…
Thus endeth the lesson...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
None of that affects the bates lite foam soles. I actually kept one pair for "earth" and one for any air
travel, mil or civilian. The ones that went up (ESP in an unpressurized bomb bay) had the soles collapse in short order.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
None of that affects the bates lite foam soles. I actually kept one pair for "earth" and one for any air
travel, mil or civilian. The ones that went up (ESP in an unpressurized bomb bay) had the soles collapse in short order.

FWIW, when I got commissioned, I bought "C" sized shoes from the NEX catalog (before there was a web store) instead of the normal "D" sized shoes on base. As a result, my soles weren't the normal foam, but rubber in a somewhat grippy tread pattern. 15 years (and 7 days) later, they're still in one piece, although the soles are almost worn through. I've never seen other shoes sold with those soles since, so not sure why the ones I got were different, but I'm glad they were.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, when I got commissioned, I bought "C" sized shoes from the NEX catalog (before there was a web store) instead of the normal "D" sized shoes on base. As a result, my soles weren't the normal foam, but rubber in a somewhat grippy tread pattern. 15 years (and 7 days) later, they're still in one piece, although the soles are almost worn through. I've never seen other shoes sold with those soles since, so not sure why the ones I got were different, but I'm glad they were.

This is important dammit!

Renegade One

None
FWIW ...[and then a bunch of stuff] ... but I'm glad they were.
I should have mentioned that you have no better friend than a local "old school" shoe repair shop. The kind of folks that can re-heel/sole whatever fits you best. My own local provider is keeping my 40-year old Red Wing Rough Out Work Boots "alive and well".

If you don't care…screw it...buy another pair of Bates plastic foot-wraps every 2-3 years.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I should have mentioned that you have no better friend than a local "old school" shoe repair shop. The kind of folks that can re-heel/sole whatever fits you best. My own local provider is keeping my 40-year old Red Wing Rough Out Work Boots "alive and well".

If you don't care…screw it...buy another pair of Bates plastic foot-wraps every 2-3 years.

I've looked at the shoes and I'm not sure they can be re-soled, as the heel and sole aren't really "modular." That said, where do you recommend in the Whale's Vagina? I found a great cobbler in Jax, but haven't bothered to look here.

I'd prefer to keep the ones I have, since they're properly worn in (although I'm not completely sure they're really made of cow).