• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHICH Brown Shoe?

Pags

N/A
pilot
J Crew also now has a plain toe brown oxford that is for all purposes identical to the uniform shoe. Still has a rubber sole (as do most of the other options around $100), but has italian leather.

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
Not the Brown Shoes Question you think

I don't want this to turn into another should you or shouldn't you wear Brown Shoes before you wing, I am of the opinion to dress for success. If I wanted to end up a SWO I'd dress like a SWO. Anyway, I'm about to join the pool in a few weeks and I wanted to know where everyone buys their Browns? Does anyone have a favorite or nicer shoe than another? If everyone is buying the Oxford's from the NEX than so be it, but just wanted to make sure. Also, how do they run for sizes?

tjp2008

Type in Bate's Oxford brown shoes in the ebay search. There you can get them for roughly half what you pay in the nex. Technically they have some sort of manufacturers defect which is why these particular ones aren't sold in the stores, but my buddies and I all bought them this way and no one has had any issues with them. Congrats on finishing OCS!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you looked at this thread? There are options.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Edit: The thread linked above is in the Private Naval Aviator's Thread.
Recommendations besides the standard Bates from that thread:
- Johnston Murphy - Dawson Plain Toe
- Florsheims
- J&M
- J Crew plain toe brown oxford

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
Thanks, that helps. Definitely can't view that thread and no idea how to even get on a private thread.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I own the florsheims and they are better then the bates I think, I got mine at the nex mall in pcola for about 50$.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
I own the florsheims and they are better then the bates I think, I got mine at the nex mall in pcola for about 50$.

Ditto, I've been wearing my Florsheims for about 10 years and they're still going strong plus a lot more comfy than the Bates I had origionally. I have some other Johnston and Murphy shoes and they also make a quality product. I've only seen the Florsheims at the NEX, not even in the Florsheim store, I think they may be strictly for the military.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All military shoes are plain toe.
NAVPERS 15665I Chapter 3 Section 5 Article 3501.54 said:
a. Males. Plain toed, oxford style black, brown, or white, low quarter, lace shoe, made of smooth leather or synthetic leather. The heel shall be an outside heel 3/4 inch - 7/8 inch high with a flat sole.

b. Females. Plain black, brown or white dress pumps made of smooth leather or synthetic leather, with closed heels and toes. Heels shall be no higher than approximately 2-5/8 inches nor less than approximately 5/8 inch measured from the forward edge, and no wider than approximately 1-3/4 inches at the base. Sole shall be no thicker than approximately 1/4 inch. Wedge heels are not authorized.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So the standard NEX Bates Light brown shoes I bought four years ago had the soles fall off last time I was on duty. Obviously I need new ones, does anyone have a suggestion on something other than the Bates? I searched the brown shoes thread but the links to Zappos aren't working anymore.

MasterBates

What's wrong with Bates shoes?

They are the only company I can get them in 17EE from.

Real men wear AWGs on watch. (and then field questions of "What the hell are you wearing" the rest of the day)