• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHICH Brown Shoe?

ltdann

CoNA
Contact Wolverine World Wide

Wolverine World Wide is the company you need to contact. Write up an explanation and email to them. The excuse they give is that shoes that sit in stock for too long undergo "hydrolisis". I sent my pair back and intend on doing so with the black leathers that I have.

Everyone with this problem needs to do this and ensure that they get a quality product out instead of shit shoes that fall apart in very short order.

Rich
http://www.wolverineworldwide.com/default.asp

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Maybe you should rock duty in NWUs like us!!!!

Screw that man, I bought the set but wore them once or twice and I hate them.

What's wrong with Bates shoes?

Not much except for a sole that literally fell off the shoe... I have my original leathers from boot camp that are still going strong so a shoe that I've only worn infrequently at best shouldn't just fall apart.

I'll probably just get another pair of Bates but I was hoping some other company made a better quality shoe.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
93911.jpg

Go big and get an Alden!

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Been down this road a couple years ago. Bates is the only company that makes brown shoes in the proper style.

The only pair I've ever seen with a leather sole were worn by a guy that had them custom made.

...come to think of it, I could probably find a shop in Bahrain to do that for me.

gotta_fly

pilot
The NEX carries a brown oxford that looks identical except for having a leather sole. If I remember right it was made by Wolfsheim or Florsheim and cost around the same as the Bates Lites. I couldn't justify buying them since mine are still in good shape, but they looked really nice.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The NEX carries a brown oxford that looks identical except for having a leather sole. If I remember right it was made by Wolfsheim or Florsheim and cost around the same as the Bates Lites. I couldn't justify buying them since mine are still in good shape, but they looked really nice.

Florsheim. I saw those at the Nex, looked almost identical but it had a cordovan color instead of brown. I tried them on, pretty nice, but the color was just too noticeably different.

Pags

N/A
pilot
93911.jpg

Go big and get an Alden!

Buy that and you'll never buy another shoe again. Mainly because it costs $500 and at that price had better last a lifetime and still be in good enough shape that I can give em to my kids.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Buy that and you'll never buy another shoe again. Mainly because it costs $500 and at that price had better last a lifetime and still be in good enough shape that I can give em to my kids.

Which is exactly why I'd like to get a shoe like this, only for the civilian side (meaning not a plain toe). From what I've heard, Aldens and Allen-Edmonds are the only American shoes that still have quality craftsmanship (and both are made in the US). Johnston and Murphy was American-based, but has since gone to Asian manufacturing.

Does anyone here have any experience with Aldens or AEs? I am receiving a pair of Alden boots today (as a present to myself).

mountainman

If you go with the Allen Edmonds, for as long as you own the shoe you can send them back and have them completely refurbished for 150 dollars. I bought a pair of black oxfords from them to wear with SDB's after getting sick of trying to keep those crappy Bates looking decent. Nothing like buying a new pair of choroframs only to gouge the vinyl the second time you wear them.:icon_rage

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you go with the Allen Edmonds, for as long as you own the shoe you can send them back and have them completely refurbished for 150 dollars. I bought a pair of black oxfords from them to wear with SDB's after getting sick of trying to keep those crappy Bates looking decent. Nothing like buying a new pair of choroframs only to gouge the vinyl the second time you wear them.:icon_rage

Actually that's what I was going to get at AE... I just forgot about it. When I was going to a memorial service a couple of months ago, I put my Bates corfam shoes on and noticed that both shoes had a split across the toes. They were Split Toe shoes by tear! I'm definitely interested in getting a calf skin, leather soled AE. The discounts begin on Saturday I'm sure.