• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHICH Brown Shoe?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
But for the price of one pair of AE's, I can get 8ish pairs of Bates. And three more pairs for each time I have the AE's re-built.

The disposable shoes are really looking better and better.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Which is exactly why I'd like to get a shoe like this, only for the civilian side (meaning not a plain toe). From what I've heard, Aldens and Allen-Edmonds are the only American shoes that still have quality craftsmanship (and both are made in the US). Johnston and Murphy was American-based, but has since gone to Asian manufacturing.

Does anyone here have any experience with Aldens or AEs? I am receiving a pair of Alden boots today (as a present to myself).

Aldens been getting a lot of press lately, especially with their boots (have to let me know how yours are).

I've been considering the same thing for a bit. The one nice thing about a plain toe oxford is that it will pretty much always be in style. Not the top of style, but never outdated. Which, to me, is something to consider if you're gonna drop five bills on them.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Just picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds as a commissioning present to myself. $250 at their factory outlet. It's a darker brown, not the lighter color of the Bates. Damn good looking if I do say so. Stock they are a leather sole, but you can get the rubber bottom added for a few extra bucks. I opted not at the moment, but possibly will later.

A few of my classmates did the Bates route, but I throughly hated my black Bates during OCS. One of the more uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn.

ImfromJersey

Brown leather shoes... parade gloss or shoe polish?

Brown leather shoes... parade gloss or shoe polish?

Need a good shine, but not too sure which to use. Anyone know which is better?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Shoe polish...parade gloss is too thin...black Sharpie is good for filling in nicks and scratches (brown looks wierd, the dark ink blends better when shined in)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aldens been getting a lot of press lately, especially with their boots (have to let me know how yours are).

I've been considering the same thing for a bit. The one nice thing about a plain toe oxford is that it will pretty much always be in style. Not the top of style, but never outdated. Which, to me, is something to consider if you're gonna drop five bills on them.

Pags, sorry for not responding. I've had my Alden Aviator boots (bought through Orvis) for 2 months now, and they are by far the best pair of shoes/boots that I own. They are very comfortable and the leather still smells wonderful. I'm still in the hunt for an AE or Alden dress shoe to wear with civilian clothes. (Leaders are AE Park Avenue, Alden 974, or perhaps the new AE Lombard with a dress rubber sole). For the military shoes though, I think I'll go with Bates again simply because I don't wear plain toed shoes outside of the military.

Has anyone sported a balmoral vs the blucher for their brown shoe? I ask simply because the regulation only mentions oxford style (which in the US means either bal or blucher).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Pags, sorry for not responding. I've had my Alden Aviator boots (bought through Orvis) for 2 months now, and they are by far the best pair of shoes/boots that I own. They are very comfortable and the leather still smells wonderful. I'm still in the hunt for an AE or Alden dress shoe to wear with civilian clothes. (Leaders are AE Park Avenue, Alden 974, or perhaps the new AE Lombard with a dress rubber sole). For the military shoes though, I think I'll go with Bates again simply because I don't wear plain toed shoes outside of the military.

Has anyone sported a balmoral vs the blucher for their brown shoe? I ask simply because the regulation only mentions oxford style (which in the US means either bal or blucher).

I have the Leeds which are the blucher style. In talking with the guy at the store, most military go with the blucher as they are closest to the Bates which everyone is issued. Oh, and I was the first person to ask for them in brown, go me :icon_smil. My understanding is that the only difference between balmoral and blucher is the seam down the outer side, not that big of a deal. As long as they're plain toed you're within regs.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding is that the only difference between balmoral and blucher is the seam down the outer side, not that big of a deal. As long as they're plain toed you're within regs.

Usually most describe it as the difference between open lacing (US: blucher UK: derby) and closed lacing (US: balmoral UK: oxford). The seam down the side is where the additional piece of leather (for the laces) is sewn. The balmoral is typically found on dress shoes with the blucher on casual shoes but of course there are always the exceptions to the rule.

The Leeds in brown... I would buy it immediately.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Do you wear the boots for flying?

Pags

N/A
pilot

I almost got Alden + Context Roy boot. $450. AND they made it in E widths. But Mrs. Pags is gonna take the next couple of months off to be a mom full time, so $450 is a lot of cash to drop on me for something that I don't need. Stupid responsibility.

peachesnel

I've looked for a thread but haven't found anything- women's shoes. I'm looking for brown pumps that aren't hideous. Suggestions?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They actually make brown pumps for rocking the khaki skirt? I wear the skirt in SDBs/whites, but not for khakis because I didn't feel like buying yet another pair of uniform shoes.