• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to redesignate after NPQed for aviation?

Jstalz

I’m currently at OCS and unfortunately I have been NPQed for pilot for having signs of an eye disease. Soon, I will be sending out requests to redesignate to other communities. Right now, I’m most interested in Intel, although I’m also considering Crypto, PAO, and Supply.

Is there anyone who could give me more information on these communities, especially Crypto and PAO, as there is not much information on them here? What are the main responsibilities of each and what kind of culture do they have?

Thank you!

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
I know PAO is a very small community, and very selective on who they accept. If you have experience in publishing, writing articles, or thing in that nature you might be a good candidate. I pretty sure you need to have a portfolio ready on demand for them to review it.

exNavyOffRec

I’m currently at OCS and unfortunately I have been NPQed for pilot for having signs of an eye disease. Soon, I will be sending out requests to redesignate to other communities. Right now, I’m most interested in Intel, although I’m also considering Crypto, PAO, and Supply.

Is there anyone who could give me more information on these communities, especially Crypto and PAO, as there is not much information on them here? What are the main responsibilities of each and what kind of culture do they have?

Thank you!
Sorry to hear about your DQ, are you DQ from all URL?

Nicholsq

FMF DOC

Thank you!
here is a link to the PA for PAO to give you an idea on what they are looking for.

Jstalz

I know PAO is a very small community, and very selective on who they accept. If you have experience in publishing, writing articles, or thing in that nature you might be a good candidate. I pretty sure you need to have a portfolio ready on demand for them to review it.
Thanks for this info. I know it’s a very small community that doesn’t take many candidates and I think that while I have a lot of the skills for the job, I don’t have much of the experience for it, as I’m a recent college grad. However, the PERSO at OCS seemed to think it’s possible for me to get in and didn’t shoot it down. I also heard it’s easier to get into these communities if I’m a med dq at OCS.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
Thanks for this info. I know it’s a very small community that doesn’t take many candidates and I think that while I have a lot of the skills for the job, I don’t have much of the experience for it, as I’m a recent college grad. However, the PERSO at OCS seemed to think it’s possible for me to get in and didn’t shoot it down. I also heard it’s easier to get into these communities if I’m a med dq at OCS.
I agree with you there. never shoot yourself down. if its something you really think you're interested in...let them tell you no.

Jstalz

Why not SWO? You did sign up for the Navy.
To be honest, I’m a little turned off by the horror stories you hear of super long hours, a community that eats its young, and an overly competitive environment rather than a supportive one.

Intel is my first choice because I think it provides a great bridge into civilian government work when I do leave the military. Also, I am considering the designators I listed above because, from what I can tell, they provide some of the best opportunities to get a masters degree while you are still part of the service.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
To be honest, I’m a little turned off by the horror stories you hear of super long hours, a community that eats its young, and an overly competitive environment rather than a supportive one.

Intel is my first choice because I think it provides a great bridge into civilian government work when I do leave the military. Also, I am considering the designators I listed above because, from what I can tell, they provide some of the best opportunities to get a masters degree while you are still part of the service.
The SWO community loves sending people to school for their Masters.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Thank you!

Reach out to the individual OCMs, you can find out specific info on the MyNavy HR website.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’m too old to know these days, but if SWO isn’t getting the numbers I imagine they just might start drafting young ensigns to do navy stuff. In any case, I wish you the best.

exNavyOffRec

Given your degree Supply would be a good choice. You could also experience a variety of platforms.
Cyber Operations. Relatively new designator, right? Or maritime space officer
Those have strict tech degree requirements, but he has good options.