• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where old planes go when they "die"

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The real question is if I come over to see your antique road show, can I get a flight? ...in anything. I'm not picky.

The Army is more strict than the Navy regarding flights in the front seat. The weird thing is, I could let you sit right seat during ground taxi as an MTP, while an instructor pilot (IP) would not be allowed to do the same. Back seat rides are wide open in the Army. You show up in uniform with a note from your CO saying it is OK, and off you go. Actually, verbal approval is often accepted, especially from an officer. We haul human cargo all the time.

The Chinook guys are still in town for now, then they may join us (sort of) in the desert. The LUHs (EC-145s) aren't going anywhere. They are single pilot, so you would have a better chance doing the front seat in one of those. If you are really interested, PM me and I can point you to the right people. Unfortunately I can't do much more than that for now. I won't be back in town for awhile.

Postal

pilot
Based off cockpit control layout,

Blimp.

We have a winner.
036-1.jpg

033.jpg

035.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does anyone know of the request process/who I write a letter to/paperwork chain required to try and get a hold of some of the parts on the sad side? As part of making the dream of the brew pub become a reality, I'm working on trying to get various parts... Nothing like .50's or OSCs from the MWS, more simple, sheet metal type stuff. Nose electronics compartment door, part of a rotor blade, old (steel) flight control armor, etc... I've got SOME contacts, but could always use more avenues.

There's always "a way," but generally, they're pretty tight with parts and bits of aircraft. Even the identaplate (or whatever we call it) is sacred and apparently an often pilfered item by crews delivering aircraft. The Chief and Senior Chief that received us both made comments that the Marines were the worst offenders at trying to take things off the aircraft when they deliver. Maybe because they don't have bikes installed, I'm not sure.

While not necessarily realistic, something to keep in mind is that everything that arrives there, be it a ragged out -60B or -46 all the way to a German Tornado (yup, there's one or two of them there), they're supposed to start out as ready to be redeployed (minus engines on certain aircraft...like -60s). Even if they're sold to other countries as a parts bin, they need to have all their parts, so "they" don't like to let bits and pieces go unless it's to support the fleet (like A-6 parts to EA-6B planes).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's another shot of "The Blimp."

DSC_0191.jpg

And here's another interesting find there. Supposedly not needed anymore, but I'm guessing the airframe was retired, not the mission or requirement. Then again, they did close down one of the two runways, according to Google Maps...

DSC_0188.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
And here's another interesting find there. Supposedly not needed anymore, but I'm guessing the airframe was retired, not the mission or requirement. Then again, they did close down one of the two runways, according to Google Maps...

DSC_0188.jpg

Former Janet air jet

MasterBates

For those that care to know how to tell, Airships will have "Rudders" or "Ailerons" but not both. They tend to have good "down" visibility due to the way they are landed.

Yokes with no rudder pedals was the key. The other main scheme will have a "wheel" next to pilot chair with rudder pedals.