• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where old planes go when they "die"

KBayDog

Looks like one of the many Counter Spy Planes I shot down on Black Ops this weekend.

Counter-spy_plane.png

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yup, B-57 it is. Wasn't aware that one existed. So many from the 50s-70s that came and went quickly.

Flugelman

Contributor
Saw one in the pattern at Charleston AFB back in '02.
The first I saw was back in '65 at Clark AFB, PI. I was on the wing helping the FE fuel the Connie and a B-57 across the line erupted with a huge cloud of black smoke.

"Hey Chief, that plane's burning up!!!"
"Relax kid, that's how they start the damn thing."

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The Canberra was a really exceptional airplane in its day because of better high altitude performance than most of its contemporaries. The big wing versions were almost as good as the U-2...

(Around the same time, English Electric also built another great airplane, the Lightning.)

MasterBates

Why did they smoke so bad.. We have some engines damn near of that vintage, (T-56) and they don't smoke anywhere like that. Not event the -425 in the COD.

Flugelman

Contributor
Why did they smoke so bad.. We have some engines damn near of that vintage, (T-56) and they don't smoke anywhere like that. Not event the -425 in the COD.

It was the powder in the cartridge that created the smoke. Sorta like a super blank shotgun shell. Also known as a Coffman Engine Starter.