• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where are the women??

Status
Not open for further replies.

catpounce

Howlermonkey! Hey great job!
icon_smile_wink.gif

What standards would you suggest are good to aim for? Also can you give some pointers on becoming a strong teammate while at OCS (do's and don’ts for a woman)? I'm not usually so separatist between the sexes but just looking for some good insight.

-Thanks

jaznups

Nope not for a long while tali! I'm just inquisitive...

I use this board as motivation to keep going... esp. when engines or CS is kicking my @ss...

Howlermonkey---
How was getting mashed? Just curious... like what happened when you just couldn't do anymore pushups?

Jaz

PS Tali can't wait to hear back from you once OCS begins...

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

howlermonkey

Beth!! I'm in Iowa City for another week so call me;)

As far as being a woman, or one of several women, at OCS and being part of a team I can tell you I felt a ton of support from my male classmates that I didn't realize I would receive and an occasional negative attitude that I didn't realize still existed. Most of the time I forgot about the issue entirely and we all worked together as a team. That was great. Women tend to stick out like a sore thumb at OCS. (we're the ones with hair) It kind of makes everything we do a little more exagerated. The stuff we do wrong is a little worse, but the stuff we do right is even more awesome simply because everyone can see it. The women all tend to meet each other and help each other out because there aren't very many of us. But the amount of effort you put into everything is key. It's a percent of a personal ability rather than a specific amount. A woman who puts in 100% verses a man who only put in 85% will do better because it is about how hard you try rather than how much you can do. People who put forth the effort will receive respect regardless of their sex.

tali264

Originally posted by howlermonkey
Beth!! I'm in Iowa City for another week so call me;)

You bet!! Want to meet on Wed night (I have presentation stuff all day)? PM or e-mail me your number and I'll give you a call.

nic22

Howlermonkey,

I heard that women were allowed to keep a box for personal things that the DIs don't search. Is this still the case since there is now a female DI? And what mile pace do you suggest being able to do before going to OCS?

Thanks,
Nicole

0ctopus

First of all, this is an awesome topic/thread. Ya'll have covered a lot of the concerns I had. I'm leaving 31 May and I've read all the journals, tips, etc, and I don't think any of them were written by a woman. One question that the guys certainly won't want to read - is there plenty of pocket room for tampons or is that what the purse is for?

-Becky-

Aimee

Hey Biederman! I have been meaning to call you back forever... but you can imagine how fun being candi-o's is with HALF the amount of people 15 had! ugh. 48 more hours and counting til graduation. Your daddy was here for a visit last week. He actually relieved one of us in the BOOD to send us to go get ice for his boat. I heard he ID'ed Pippin. Ha ha ha. Hope you are having fun at home! Call us when you get back in town! Miss you!!!

Sara, if you've got any specific questions, shoot me a PM. Just remember, nothing at OCS is as bad as you think it is going to be.

gin_e

is there time to hand wash bras at ocs? or do you have to send them off with the regular laundry? i'd rather not have my underwire bras ruined.

what sort of things are the DIs not allowed to inspect for women? (ie what goes in the Female Box)

howlermonkey

I don't really know anything about an un-inspectable female box. you won't need much that would be anything the guys don't have. The main thing is pads or tampons. If you leave your locker open they're bound to get thrown around. (right Aimee?) Don't worry about it, though. They generally don't mess with the feminine hygeine products because they're guys and OH MY GOD THEY'RE TAMPONS!!! I usually carried on in my pocket or sock. We're not really supposed to have things in our pockets but I guess I'm a rebel. Otherwise there are plenty of oportunities to use the pads in the restrooms of the academic building. You will also have some chances to get back to your room throughout the day. If you want to keep make-up for liberty, put it in your toiletry kit.
My roommate and I both had a seven or eight week span where we didn't have to worry about it. I have heard things like that from other female candidates. It goes away because of stress and physical training.

bras. Don't worry about underwires. you will live nearly the entire 13 weeks in a sports bra. I washed them with all my other laundry and sometimes my classmates and I combined loads to save time. We do our own laundry, except sheets. By the time you get liberty and actually have an opportunity to wear a regular bra, you will have plenty of time to wash them.

gin_e

you mean you stopped getting your period for the first two months?! that doesn't sound healthy.

btw, my sports bras are underwire, i need the extra support. but if we do our own laundry there is nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.