• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where are the women??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara_noh81

Hey all, I'm new to the site and I gotta say that I am so stoked about it. I just wish I would have known about it while I was in high school. The gouges and journals on OCS have all been really helpful...but are there any accounts from women out there?? I'm graduating from the University of So. California in a few weeks and I've been in the process of applying for OCS for the past year (I had no idea it was going to be such a lengthy process!). Anyways, I'd love to get a female perspective on the experience. Thanks.
~Sara

mbtans

Hi Sara,

There are two women in my OCS class and I bet they'll answer your questions. One even went to college in LA. Post a question or just wait for them to find this page.

tali264

Well....I haven't gone yet so I can't help you out. But if you want to ask (PM, e-mail, or post) Aimee (she's there right now with mbtans) I'm sure she'd answer anything you wanted. But be prepared for her answer - she might tell you more details than you wanted to know.
smgreen_125.gif
hehe just kidding Aimee
tongue_125.gif

Otherwise there's a girl I know who just graduated from OCS and I can give you her e-mail address if you'd like.

Kim

I'm in the FRS (Fleet replacement squadron where you learn to fly the fleet a/c) right now I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. -Kim

jaznups

Tali,

When do you finally get to go? I just know that you've been around for a bit :) I know you can't wait...

Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

sara_noh81

Hi Kim, thanks for the offer. I would love to hear what you have to say regarding your experience at OCS as one of the few females. Were you treated any differently? Did you do all of the same activities that the male candidates did? Any advise for future females going to OCS?
Thanks again!
~Sara

**GOD BLESS AMERICA**

tali264

Originally posted by jaznups
Tali,

When do you finally get to go? I just know that you've been around for a bit :) I know you can't wait...
I go Oct. 4th. You bet I can't wait!!! I'm bouncing off the walls!

When do you go?? You're CEC, right?

Kim

During OCS the first week the females are in a separate "squad bay" down the hall, which isn't to great. After that we have 4 person rooms, so it isn't as much as an issue. We had 7 females in our class, some had 1 or 2. We weren't really treated differently except for typical things like they don't shave our heads and we have slightly different uniforms and issued purses. The only other thing is if you can't keep up with battalion runs then you stay at the track for remedial PT. It isn't that bad, and there are some guys there too, but it would make life easier if you can keep up with the pace the DI's set. My only advice is to not let things get to you, OCS is only 13 weeks and doesn't count for the rest of your career. Just do your best and you'll be just fine. Run a lot before you go and enjoy your free time now. Good luck. -Kim

sara_noh81

Thanks so much Kim. I really appreciate the advice; looks like I need to kick up my weekly running mileage! What pace do the DI's usually run at?

**GOD BLESS AMERICA**

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
I'm not a girl, but if you can run 1.5 miles under 11 minutes, you're as good as gold. We ran on average about 2 miles a day and about one day a week we would run 4 - 4.5 miles.

Good luck

nic22

Is the pace really only 11 minutes? I was told to be able to run up to 5 miles at an 8 minute pace.

catpounce

I think he was meaning 1.5m in 11 minutes. That would be about a 7:20 pace. I need to up my own! Last week I was only at 11:27 for the 1.5.

Also, can anyone address how being one of a few women (or maybe even the only woman) in an OCS class affects the team feeling? Basically is there plenty of opportunity to study and practice with the class as a whole or can others that have been there offer pointers on this issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

jaznups

Originally posted by tali264
Originally posted by jaznups
Tali,

I go Oct. 4th. You bet I can't wait!!! I'm bouncing off the walls!

When do you go?? You're CEC, right?

Yep, CEC but not for a while I just swore in on Saturday. I'm in BDCP until June 2005 so I have a lil wait
eyebrows_125.gif
Going in October does that mean you'll be done before of after X-mas? I forget... I often wonder what that 2 week break does to people??

Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

howlermonkey

I just graduated on April 11 as tali mentioned. and I was there with Aimee who is way cool. I was one of 2 girls, myself. My DI seemed very happy with us. We always went after all the guys pt standards and tried to show that we really are as tough as nails.

DI: "How come my females are so much harder than my males are?"
Me: "Don't know, sir!"
DI: "What about you (my roommate)?"
Kate: "Don't know, sir!"
DI: "C'mon. Have some confidence in yourself. Admit it. You're a bad a$$."
Kate: "I'm a....Sir, this officer candidate is a bad a$$!"

Just ask me whatever you want to know and I'd be happy to help in any way.

tali264

Michelle!!!! Alright!! Nice for Iowa to be represented so well
tongue_125.gif

How ya doing? Are you still here or did you go back down to Pensacola?

Jaz- no, we will not graduate before Christmas. We'll have to go back for a bit. Wow...I thought you were close to going. LOL. Guess not. At least you get paid for a long time!!!!
spin_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.