• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to fly... Advice?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I wasn't able to get jets out of primary. It's kind of a long story. Involved NFO-to-pilot transition being cancelled due to a crash of an F-14 NFO-to-pilot in Nashville, TN in 1996. The CNO cancelled the NFO-to-pilot program, and those of us who were in the training pipeline were told either to go back to being an NFO or fly something multi-piloted, but no jets.

Anyway, if I had to do it all over again, I would have tried for E-2s, which were available, instead of EP-3s. But, that's just me.

I am happy flying T-34s in Corpus, however. And, I've been doing that for 6 1/2 years now. I only get to do it part time now, but that beats not flying at all.

My current boss was one of the original F-14 FNO to pilot transitions. I thought that was the second crash or second fatality of those NFO to pilots. Regardless, like A4's said, we had a knee jerk reaction to the situation.

Rg9

pilot
I don't know your location and whether you're NSE or Corpus (too lazy to look up your IP), but I don't know where all the bad feelings come from on TIMS. It's so much easier to use for an IP day to day and it allows the student to see so much more of his gradebook, easier. It does have some hangups at times, but I just don't get the griping.
I'm at NSE, and you are right that it has many advantages. The transition has caused some problems (i.e., giving everyone an NSS of 50 regardless... that happened once along with other bunk NSS calculations, not letting me do my computer classes because I was med-down from flying, etc., etc... many stories...). When the problems are worked out, it will be really nice, and I think the goods outweigh the bads right now. I like viewing the grades. The best part was being able to see the preliminary schedule, but they just yanked that from us, so now we have to go back to waiting until 6pm the night before (sometimes 7...) to see if we have a 0530 brief. Any chance on changing that back for us, sir?:D

By the way, my selection sheet says "tailhook" as an option. Sorry for saying "tacair" before. That's what everyone here was calling it, for some reason, and it didn't make sense to me (but what do I know? I'm just a student). Anyway, the whole "tailhook" selection is most definitely happening.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Anyway, the whole "tailhook" selection is most definitely happening.
GOD!!! I am soooooooooooooooooo .... relieved.

I can sleep better tonight knowing you will be on duty .... soon.

ALOHA -Ha-HA-HA- .....
:)

Rg9

pilot
...I am soooooooooooooooooo .... relieved...
Uh... I don't know if I was clear. I didn't mean to say that's what I was selecting, rather that the options aren't jets or E/C-2's, the option is "tailhook" and the split is in advanced. Some were wondering if this had taken place yet.

Rg9

pilot
Update on choices

Did my last flight with the Skipper last night... 55 NSS. We had some really good studs come through recently, so all of our NSS's have been lower, which means I'll probably be #1 or 2 in our selection class.

This was probably one of (if not the) hardest decisions of my life so far. After much deliberation and prayer, my choices ended up:

1. P-3's
2. Tailhook
3. Helos

I'll post what I get here tomorrow...

MasterBates

No.

It was a reference to 42+ months at our fleet squadron. (normal tour is 36) There was a bunch of JO's that got extended for 6+ months, who were there so long we started seeing old OICs come back as the XO and PXO. So one of us (not me) made a plaque that sits in JOPA.

Rg9

pilot
The Conclusion

I got P-3's!

As it turns out, everyone who put down tailhook this selection and got it actually got E-2/C-2 except for one guy down in Corpus (who's NSS was better than mine). For some reason (Skipper said it was something about how TIMS won't accept "tailhook"... I didn't really understand it, nor did he), they split up the two this time around, and will apparently continue to do so until the next fiscal year. Unfortunately, you don't get to tell them which choice you'd like, however.

So that being said, had I put down tailhook, I would have gotten E-2/C-2, which wouldn't have been bad, but I think I'd rather have P-3's. If I go to the boat, I'd like to carry weapons.

Part of me wonders, "what would it be like to have flown helos?" But I think that's just because I was so undecided going in.

Anyone have any motivating videos of P-3's? Any advice? Thanks.