• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to fly... Advice?

Rg9

pilot
I'm about 2 weeks from selection and am still undecided on what to put down. I'm looking for some advice. Although no one can know their NSS in advance, I'm quite confident I'll be above a 50, so that means my choices really do matter (aka, I might not get sucked up into helo world by default).

I'm married, enjoy flying, but I don't want flying to be my life. I enjoy working with other people and desire leadership opportunities. I'm not an Air Force officer that only flies during his career; I'm a Naval Officer, and as such, seek to be diverse in my abilities and jobs.

I find that if I am working with people that I get along with on a common goal that I can enjoy almost any kind of work. If I don't like the people, I don't like the work, no matter how "fun" it is. I know you're not always going to get along with everyone, especially in aviation, and I can deal with that (I've gotten this far). But since I have to select a choice, I want a community that I would best fit in.

Any thoughts?

Rg9

pilot
It means that almost everyone has been going helos the last few months. HT-28 just stood up so all the HT's are undermanned. Besides, the Navy always needs helo pilots the most. I thought that was obvious.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I don't understand why guys think they have to defend their communities... (and don't take this as a personal cut on anyone) If people really do enjoy their communities and think its the best then why do they have to defend it when someone seems to be saying they don't want it? The same applies for NFO's. I wanna see some posts by guys saying "I hope I don't get sucked in to jets" just to see if there would be a similar reaction.

Brett1

Banned
No matter what you end up in it will be kick ass..... I would take helo, COD, jets, whatever. Face it, your in a win, win , win situation. Let us know what you get.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
^^^And I can understand that. I just don't see why theres this backlash when someone says they don't want a certain community. Its as if some people take it personal when someone doesn't want a certain type of aircraft.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I don't understand why guys think they have to defend their communities...

First to fight
for right and freedom ,
And to keep our honor clean,

That's why... Don't you know every community is the BEST community:D

hourocket

Bullseye
None
I didnt want jets, I wanted to be a tube rat in the E-2 but could of had jets if I wanted them. It seemed like a shock to alot of people that I actually wanted E-2s and not jets.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not an Air Force officer that only flies during his career; I'm a Naval Officer, and as such, seek to be diverse in my abilities and jobs.

Don't worry about what community you go into, they will all have a coffee mess (and associated wardroom officer).

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, my bust for jumping the gun here. After re-reading the OP, I don't think it was Rg9's intention to be a helo hater. I don't want the spirit of his post to become why each community has to defend itself. He's asking any advice what to chose.
Press on.

thebluto

pilot
None
My advice to you is to drink heavily...

and avoid any land-based aircraft. I've seen both P-3 world and EA-6B world, and the boat is definitely a better way to go. Just my 2 cents, but if I had it to do over again, I would have gone E-2s vs. EP-3s (long story, but I wasn't allowed to go jets after NFO-to-pilot transition back in the 90s).

I agree that you will enjoy any community you go to, but there are a lot of pitfalls in P-3/E-6 world that people don't realize.

If you want to fly and not spend a big chunk of your career wearing khakis and being a staff weenie, stay with the sea-based equipment.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Ok, my bust for jumping the gun here. After re-reading the OP, I don't think it was Rg9's intention to be a helo hater. I don't want the spirit of his post to become why each community has to defend itself. He's asking any advice what to chose.
Press on.

Big Iron - how's "the pit?"

Pags

N/A
pilot
You need to ask yourself what do you want to do? As you're gonna see on here, everyone loves what they fly (with a few exceptions), so in the end it's gonna work out for ya.

Do you want to go to a boat or the boat or would you rather live on the beach?

Do you want to fly fast and drop bombs, or are you cool with flying a plane full of cargo?

Do you want to deploy with a det or with the entire squadron?

In the end, in each community, you're gonna work hard. You're gonna work at your pilot skills (quals and designations), and you're gonna work some sort of ground job and you're gonna do them both at the same time. You're gonna have a chance to to do ground jobs in various capacities. Sure, you might start as the coffee mess officer, but you'll eventually find yourself in a real job (the quickness probably has a lot to do with how you're doing at flying).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If you want to be a carrier pilot and have a decent family life, C-2's is the way to go. Otherwise, there are many good choices.