• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is your favorite personal defense load?

stevew

Although this thread has evolved to somewhat of interesting conversation, thank you snort for bringing back on track, which Remington round are you referring to?

MasterBates

I use Remington UMC 230gr Jacketed Hollow Points. The $24/100 box that can be had at WallyWorld and most gun shops. The only Hollowpoints that feed 100% in my Springfield 5" Semi Loaded HiCap 1911. 14+1 of 45 ACP goodness.

I have tried speer gold dots, they fed fine, but I had 2 FTEs' out of 20. Too high of a fail rate for CCW ammo for me.

There may be a more effetive round, but I like being able to practice with my carry round, without breaking the bank.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MasterBates said:
There may be a more effetive round, but I like being able to practice with my carry round, without breaking the bank.

Yeah, always the problem with premium ammo. I get my Ranger-T for about $18/50 rounds... not bad compared to some of the other out there... and Ranger-T IS the best.

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Yeah, always the problem with premium ammo. I get my Ranger-T for about $18/50 rounds... not bad compared to some of the other out there... and Ranger-T IS the best.

Meh... there is and probably will be no such thing (until directed energy weapons become the standard) as a best ammunition. Just the one that has the best qualities for the job required. For instance I use Hornady, mostly because I have a large stockpile of it left over from the whole using it in my duty pistol. No it isnt neccesarily as good as any particular round at flat out ballistic expansion. But it has the best record for penetration through windshield glass and other "soft" barriers and still coming out effective on the other side. That may not be as important in most self defence cases, but you can see what I mean about application vs. capability of a particular round.

Ive met some guys that swear by Ranger T's (former Black Talons for those who dont know). And Ive met just as many guys that swear by gold spear's or Federal (what I used before Hornadys) etc, etc, etc. Its all personal prefernce. For me its far more important that the round feed and go bang every time then some millimeters worth of expansion or penetration.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
For me its far more important that the round feed and go bang every time then some millimeters worth of expansion or penetration.

This is very true. If it doesn't go bang every time, it's not worth much.

What I meant by best (and part of it is subjective) is that no-sh!t street records the Ranger-T is one of the top performers. So are the other high quality rounds. In all reality, the top rounds have very little difference between them, yes this also means between 9mm, .40, and .45.

Black Talon was good... not all it was hyped up to be. Ranger-T is everything Black Talon should have been.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Black Talon was good... not all it was hyped up to be. Ranger-T is everything Black Talon should have been.
Probably not telling you guys anything new ... but for the rest:

Black Talon was probably the most misunderstood ammunition to come along since the advent of "cop-killer bullets".
Politics, hype, accusations of corporate racism, and hysteria all played a part in Winchester's cessation of Talon's production line. And then, of course, Black Talon had to contend with the additional piling on of the anti-gun lobby in the 1993-94 time frame, HCI, many big city police administrators, and the media. Like the run-up in "assault weapons" prices during that anti-gun heyday, some boxes were selling for upwards of $50 for 20 rounds as the curtain closed on Black Talon ammunition .... :eek:

And some of it's earliest propnents, for example E.P. Marshall and Ed Sanow, have now had their "one-shot stop research" called into question. Bad data --- preconceived notions -- garbage in/garbage out. In point of fact, most studies showed that "Black Talon" did not perform any better than it's "talon-less" hollow point competition.

I still have several boxes left ... 9mm and .45 ACP. Don't know why. But I will say that I never had a failue to feed, cycle, or eject with the Winchester Talon brand. I think the first follow-on to Black Talon was Winchester SXT ... which some wags have said meant: "Same Exact Thing" ... ;)

Over the years, I've gone in and out with CorBon, Federal, Remington, and, of course Winchester. I think I've finally settled on Federal for most of my "premium" ammunition needs. Most of the "premium" ammunition is good. At least it will meet any need anyone herein will ever require ....

And of course, at the risk of being repetitive, you have to hit your target ... :)

Old NFO

None
Speer Gold Dot in the 9, 38 and 45. Hot rounds do absolutely NOTHING but hurt you trying to get the second round on target. Pistols, regardless of their caliber, are not one shot stops unless you happen to hit and fracture the hip bone, or a head shot that blows brains out. You have to be able to get at least 2 rounds COM, and one to the head in 2 seconds or less. If you think it's easy, get a friend and try the Tueller drill.
In the shotgun, it's Estate 00Buck and/or Bernicke slugs.
In the AR it's 62 grain frangibles.
As A4 says, you got to hit it....:D

wutzu

3 mags of 28 rds each SS-109 Radway Green, ready to be fed into my AR. maybe they'll fragment, maybe they won't. Either way, I've got a muzzle brake and can do Mozambiques all day long at 15-50 yds.

The two shots to the chest are a warning that a third shot to the face is inbound.

[EDIT] I don't buy the hype of the TAP rounds; the bullet was originally designed to put down varmints (p-dogs, coyotes), and I'd rather not waste my kinetic energy mushrooming when tumbling does nearly as well. That and I am way too cheap to buy TAP. I like my ammo WOLF, or surplus.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor

And of course, at the risk of being repetitive, you have to hit your target ... :)

Even a target round, followed by nine more, will stop most people. And even if it didn't, i expect he'd slow down some, then he'd have my very large foot burried very deeply in his ass as I claw his eyes out and bite his nose off. That's assuming they got past my elite guard dog:

chiuaua.jpg

Old NFO

None
Even a target round, followed by nine more, will stop most people. And even if it didn't, i expect he'd slow down some, then he'd have my very large foot burried very deeply in his ass as I claw his eyes out and bite his nose off. That's assuming they got past my elite guard dog:

chiuaua.jpg
Ahhhhh- No comment on the guard dog :D

Old NFO

None
Last one of those damn rats with hair I was around pi**ed in my shoe because that was as high as he could get.