• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is your favorite personal defense load?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Hornady .45 ACP 200 gr XPT hollow point out of a Colt 1911 Combat Elite. Not as big as the 230 gr but very controllable to make sure that double tap goes right next to the first round.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
FMRAM said:
Flachette rounds? Are those legal? That sounds like a good home defence round. Seems like it woulnd't over penetrate like 00 buck. Anyone care to elaborate? Does anyone have experience with "frangables"?

fleschettes – tiny nails with fins on one end to make sure that they fly straight out from the barrel/explosion and enter their targets point-first
I have only seen them in shotgun ammo.

frangibles - Controlled fragmentation is the specific interaction of the projectile on the impacted surface...not a good deal when trying to immediately stop an attack as there could be insufficient penetration to vital organs. The attacker may, eventually, succumb to his wounds. May not. Gotta go for penetration to and destruction of a vital organ.

http://www.precisionammo.com/
http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=318

xmid

pilot
Contributor
FMRAM said:
Flachette rounds? Are those legal? That sounds like a good home defence round. Seems like it woulnd't over penetrate like 00 buck. Anyone care to elaborate? Does anyone have experience with "frangables"?

You are correct in that they dont over penetrate. Shot a box with newspaper and carpet in it and the darts didn't come out the other side. devistated the inside of the box. I saw a test with ballistic gel using flachette rounds and it was amazing. They will definitely kill at short range, and if they don't you're gonna wish they did. I hand loaded them, but I know you can buy them. I've even seen them for 40mm grenade launchers and their flair launcher immitations.

Anyone shot those little "safe rounds" (I don't know the name)? They are like 70 grn for 9mm and they supposedly wont go through double sheet rock. I've been told they make a big mess of their target, but Im concerned with penetration issues.

If anyone has a 30-06 and wants some AP or tracer rounds let me know. I sold my 30-06 and I still have some laying around. Cover the cost of shipping and they are yours.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I also keep one of these handy:
790_zoom.jpg

BOOT TO THE HEAD!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
xmid said:
....Anyone shot those little "safe rounds" (I don't know the name)? They are like 70 grn for 9mm and they supposedly wont go through double sheet rock. I've been told they make a big mess of their target, but Im concerned with penetration issues......
Are you talkin' ... MagSafe??? Quite expensive. Worth it ??? Maybe, maybe not ... you certainly can't afford to practice with it.

http://www.magsafeonline.com/index.jsp

Again ... hit the target and generally, your worries are over ... :icon_rast

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Magsafe! Thank you, A4s comes through in a clutch again. I whole heartedly agree that putting rounds on target is the most important factor. I thought about buying these a while back when I was living in an appartment complex with families and kids all around me. Someone was strangling girls in the complex I was living in and I wanted something that I could leave in my 9mm if the SHTF. The nearby kids was what made me think of these rounds. As it turned out they caught the guy before I actually bought any, when they put up a wanted poster where he was working with his picture on it.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
glaser-safety-slug.jpg

Glaser safety slugs are similar.

My concern is penetration, 'however slight'. I have seen tests on pig carcasses and on ballistic gel when using Glasers. Penetration wasn't nearly enough to reach a vital part/organ, especially when the target was covered with a winter jacket.

While ammo such as this may make the attacker wish he were dead, and may eventually kill him due to blood loss..., I prefer to stay with something which will instantly stop the attacker. Accuracy and mass are king.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
feddoc said:
My concern is penetration, 'however slight'.

I don't know why, but this phrase will always be funny and will probably go down in the annals of obscure Naval lingo. You know that somewhere out there is the guy who decided to use that verbiage in the UCMJ. I wonder if he's even aware of the humor it now provides us all. :D

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
Anyone shot those little "safe rounds" (I don't know the name)? They are like 70 grn for 9mm and they supposedly wont go through double sheet rock. I've been told they make a big mess of their target, but Im concerned with penetration issues.

My opinion? Worthless.

If anyone has a 30-06 and wants some AP or tracer rounds let me know. I sold my 30-06 and I still have some laying around. Cover the cost of shipping and they are yours.

PM sent your way.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NozeMan said:
CorBon 135g JHP for my .40. One fast freakin' round.

Curious, why? The 155gr .40S&W bullets don't have the best reputation. Penetration is an issue, compared to more standard loads. Why such a light 135gr load? Sure, it's fast, but you're lacking the mass. I wouldn't use such a load... but to each their own.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
Curious, why? The 155gr .40S&W bullets don't have the best reputation. Penetration is an issue, compared to more standard loads. Why such a light 135gr load? Sure, it's fast, but you're lacking the mass. I wouldn't use such a load... but to each their own.

I found out about them from a cool personal defense article i read.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

The guy claims the lighter rounds work better....very interesting.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NozeMan said:
I found out about them from a cool personal defense article i read.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

The guy claims the lighter rounds work better....very interesting.

Ok, this guy seems out to lunch:

Your choice comes down to either the 180 grain jacketed hollowpoints or the 135-155 grain jacketed hollowpoints by Cor-Bon, Winchester, Federal, CCI or Remington. All are good stoppers, but the lighter weight bullets have the best stopping power records on the streets.

Um, sorry, but he forgot the entire 165gr class.

Everything I've read points to 165gr or 180gr. I've read multiple slams on the 155gr and less.

I doubt the author of this article, listed as anonymous.