• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is wrong with the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I don't know Flash... that might not hold up either. It probably wasn't known at the time that most pilots in that branch wouldn't be in Vietnam sooner or later. I was a reservist throughout college until I got commissioned upon graduation. I remember having just finished PLC and reporting back to my reserve unit and resuming college when 11Sep happened followed by the buildup in Afghanistan. We were jumping through our own asses getting the unit ready making sure everybody and their gear was up to date. We didn't end up going, but nobody at my unit ever knew for sure that we weren't going at the time.
I tell this long, drawn-out, boring story to make the point that just because the ANG didn't end up going to war in Vietnam doesn't mean that people were necassarily using it as a safehouse.

Farva1

F#@kin "A" Bubba !
pilot
"SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE NEWS"

The LT at my NROTC unit posted this on our battalion chat board. I think its worth passing on.

"SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE NEWS"

Maybe you'd like to hear about something other than idiot Army Reservists
and naked Iraqis.

Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American, somebody who honored the
uniform he wears.

Meet Brian Chontosh.

Churchville-Chili Central School class of 1991. Proud graduate of the
Rochester Institute of Technology. Husband and about-to-be father. First
lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps.

And a genuine hero.

The secretary of the Navy said so yesterday.

At 29 Palms in California Brian Chontosh was presented with the Navy
Cross, the second highest award for combat bravery the United States can
bestow.

That's a big deal.

But you won't see it on the network news tonight, and all you read in
Brian's hometown newspaper was two paragraphs of nothing. Instead, it was more blather about some mental defective MPs who acted like animals.

The odd fact about the American media in this war is that it's not covering
the American Armed Forces. The most plugged-in nation in the world is
receiving virtually no true information about what its warriors are doing.

Oh, sure, there's a body count. We know how many Americans have fallen. And we see those same casket pictures day in and day out. And we're almost on a first-name basis with the pukes who abused the Iraqi prisoners. And we know all about improvised explosive devices and how we lost Fallujah and what Arab public-opinion polls say about us and how the world hates us.

We get a non-stop feed of gloom and doom.

But we don't hear about the heroes.

The incredibly brave service members who honorably do their duty. The ones our grandparents would have carried on their shoulders down Fifth Avenue.

The ones we completely ignore.

Like Brian Chontosh.

It was a year ago on the march into Baghdad. Brian Chontosh was a platoon leader rolling up Highway 1 in a humvee. When all hell broke loose. Ambush city.

The young Marines were being cut to ribbons. Mortars, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades. And the kid out of Churchville was in charge. It was do or die and it was up to him. So he moved to the side of his column, looking for a way to lead his men to safety. As he tried to poke a hole through the Iraqi line his humvee came under direct enemy machine gun fire.

It was fish in a barrel and the Marines were the fish. And Brian Chontosh
gave the order to attack. He told his driver to floor the humvee directly at
the machine gun emplacement that was firing at them. And he had the guy on top with the .50 cal unload on them.

Within moments there were Iraqis slumped across the machine gun and Chontosh was still advancing, ordering his driver now to take the humvee directly into the Iraqi trench that was attacking his Marines. Over into the battlement the humvee went and out the door Brian Chontosh bailed, carrying an M16 and a Beretta and 228 years of Marine Corps pride.

And he ran down the trench.

With its mortars and riflemen, machineguns and grenadiers.

And he killed them all.

He fought with the M16 until it was out of ammo. Then he fought with the
Beretta until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up a dead man's AK47 and
fought with that until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up another dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo.

At one point he even fired a discarded Iraqi RPG into an enemy cluster,
sending attackers flying with its grenade explosion.

When he was done Brian Chontosh had cleared 200 yards of entrenched Iraqis from his platoon's flank. He had killed more than 20 and wounded at least as many more.

But that's probably not how he would tell it. He would probably merely say
that his Marines were in trouble, and he got them out of trouble. Hoo-ah,
and drive on.

"By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the
face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, 1st Lt. Chontosh
reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the
Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

That's what the citation says.

And that's what nobody will hear.

That's what doesn't seem to be making the evening news. Accounts of American valor are dismissed by the press as propaganda, yet accounts of American difficulties are heralded as objectivity. It makes you wonder if the role of the media is to inform, or to depress? To report or to deride. To tell the truth, or to feed us lies.

But I guess it doesn't matter.

We're going to turn out all right.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Kerry bragged about being the next JFK to come out of Mass. Even back then, everything he did was motivated towards political gain; not towards serving this country or his men. He showed no loyalty what so ever when he left after 4 months.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jdfairman said:
I don't know Flash... that might not hold up either. It probably wasn't known at the time that most pilots in that branch wouldn't be in Vietnam sooner or later. I was a reservist throughout college until I got commissioned upon graduation. I remember having just finished PLC and reporting back to my reserve unit and resuming college when 11Sep happened followed by the buildup in Afghanistan. We were jumping through our own asses getting the unit ready making sure everybody and their gear was up to date. We didn't end up going, but nobody at my unit ever knew for sure that we weren't going at the time.
I tell this long, drawn-out, boring story to make the point that just because the ANG didn't end up going to war in Vietnam doesn't mean that people were necassarily using it as a safehouse.

As far as I know, there were no ANG units sent to Vietnam. Like I said before, only a handful of volunteers. When Bush joined his unit, the forces in Vietnam were no longer being built up but being drawn down. There was only one significant instance after the Tet offensive (spring 1968) when a large number of units were sent and that was to stem the spring offensive of 1972. All of those units were active duty.

The makeup of the USAF was drastically different back then than it is now. Bush's unit was assigned to the ADC (Air Defense Command) whose sole purpose in life was to defend the US itself from attack. It was disstablished in the late 80's or early 90's with the diminishing Soviet bomber threat.

It was a known fact to everyone in those days that the NG and reserves were a safe bet not to go to Vietnam, extremely few did, all you have to do is look at the rooster of units that went. Todays NG and reserves are a different, it is a much different time.

One more thing, performance on the battlefield does not always translate to a good politician. It may be a valuable experience for someone to become a Commander in Cheif but not necessary.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
When Bush joined his unit, the forces in Vietnam were no longer being built up but being drawn down.

By your own argument, Bush didn't get sent because they were drawing down. So now, you just destroyed your own argument that he joined a ANG unit so he wouldn't get sent overseas.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
By your own argument, Bush didn't get sent because they were drawing down. So now, you just destroyed your own argument that he joined a ANG unit so he wouldn't get sent overseas.

Even during the massive buildup from 1965 to 1968, no ANG units were deployed to Vietnam. The drawdown after the Tet offensive negated evnen the remote possibility of them being sent. As I said before, his would have not been sent anyways due to the mission.

I was not trying to argue that he avoided it going to Vietnam anyways, just that Kerry volunteered when he could have served in a much easier billet. My apologies if it came across that way.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Even during the massive buildup from 1965 to 1968, no ANG units were deployed to Vietnam. The drawdown after the Tet offensive negated evnen the remote possibility of them being sent. As I said before, his would have not been sent anyways due to the mission.

I was not trying to argue that he avoided it going to Vietnam anyways, just that Kerry volunteered when he could have served in a much easier billet. My apologies if it came across that way.
Fair enough. Though uh, how did we get so focused on Kerry?

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Why is it most of the time it's an SNA or motivated troop about to commission that supports Bush but all of the Kerry supporters are "registered users"? jg5343 is right about one thing I too served under Mr Clinton and Bush; life is considerably better now. Kerry fought for Mr Clinton during his election and that's enough for me. Does anyone know wht Mr Clinton did when everyone else was in some sort of unit during Nam? I don't think you make the services better by giving them raises alone but you do improve our survival rate by spending on R&D and money for training. Mr Kerry committed "attrocoties" of his own and was a silent witness to even more I wonder how he would handle this mess from the prison in Iraq and is he even fit to judge given his own record in these matters?

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:
Anyone hear a firm reason why Kerry SHOULD be president? He hasn't proposed any plan for our future beyond "I'll bring our allies back" and "I will save us".... Why should we vote for him? OH YEAH!!!! OTHER nation's leaders want him elected... <maybe just the French>

Excellent point and you have to admit if you were Al Quaeda or some other terrorist group you would love for Kerry to win. What does that tell you about who to support. :icon_wink

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
What does everyone think about Iran? Supporting terrorism in Iraq and harboring terrorists... What solutions are there to this problem?

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Lonestar155 said:
I cannot believe that this great country, that is capable of so much, has sunk down to a level of evil. This powerful country has accomplished so much yet, our leaders made the decision of retaliation and causing more hatred towards us. We have not progressed, and on the contrary we have showed that we are weak. We should demonstrate that we are a united country willing to help others rather then showing our force by killing these so called "evil do-ers".

You and many like you are a reason I was happy to make Cali a fading image in my rear view mirror. Enjoy the Gay Bay. We haven't progressed eh? I have never lived in a mud hut and no one I know who herds camels here is considered "rich". If we are so bad why do people risk life and limb to get here? We attract the best and the brightest the world over and welcome them with hope and prosperity. Ask an 80 year old european jew if we are a descent nation or do-gooders. Ask a Bosnian Muslim if we are the "great satan" ask an 80 year old french woman if she enjoyed the US GI's coming through town. Break into the piggy bank and buy a clue. Last question: if I hit you in the face would you ask me to stop or make me? :p I chose the pink happy face for you Frisco kid.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Fair enough. Though uh, how did we get so focused on Kerry?

Thanks for hearing me out, a lot don't have the same patience. As for the second point, one of those mysterious tangents that pop up in these threads. Egged on by people like me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is it most of the time it's an SNA or motivated troop about to commission that supports Bush but all of the Kerry supporters are "registered users"?

Are you suggesting that I am less of a person because I am a "registered user"? Just because I am too lazy or computer illiterate to change my description doesn't make me a moron, it just means I am lazy and computer illiterate. In reality, I never thought to change it.

I never said I was a Kerry supporter, I like to keep my politics to myself. I just like to stir the pot sometimes.

BTW, I am a little bit further along in my career than an SNA, and I have the thinning hair to prove it!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Flash said:

You might want to do a little more research as to whether or not any ANG units served in Vietnam.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
towbubba said:
Excellent point and you have to admit if you were Al Quaeda or some other terrorist group you would love for Kerry to win. What does that tell you about who to support.

So... the enemy of our enemy is our friend(?) Just because Bush talks dirty about Al Qaeda means he has been effective in quashing them?

And I have to wonder also about what bravery is... those of you going Navy probably know that you will not actually face combat.. unless you are piloting a helo or are a corpsman or are going Marines, what danger are you imminently facing? I don't mean to knock the honor or discipline of the Navy, but I have to hand it to those guys who know they are going to be in the line of fire..

And finally.. The only media sources that aren't biased are the ones you already agree with.

regards,
The Devil's Advocate
(And yes, I am a Yankee)

Status
Not open for further replies.