• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens to wash-outs?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I am not trying to be a jerk, or a downer here, but if you have yet to experience ANYTHING fun in the air, you may be right that flying is not for you. Early FAMs, or Primary in general, is not made to be fun, but I think that if you aren't having fun you are doing something wrong. I'm wrapping up the C42XX block getting ready to check and I'm still having a blast on each and every torturous flight. I have never experienced a hint of air sickness, so I can't imagine how ****ty that must make things, but it doesn't sound like it's just the air sickness here.

Take at least one time every flight to look around and see how lucky you are for the opportunity you are being given. Work Area 1 and check out the view of the water. Enjoy a sunset once you are safely on the rules on the ride home. Go ahead and "turn like you mean it" a few times when you are out manuevering around instead of just pulling a lazy 45 AOB. Heck, just enjoy the cool factor of hearing yourself work the radios or take a peak up in your rearview and see YOU visor down learning to be a military aviator.

I agree with most of the posts above, and wish you the best of luck. Fight for what you want, and let the IPs determine when your time is up. Everyone, including the IPs, are here to help you earn a set of wings. In the end, the Big Man will make sure you end up where you need to be.

Rev

Good post.
Virtual Rep.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to say that these are the types of exchanges that make Air Warriors, and its members, really special, a real asset, a resource to be exploited. You young studs are lucky to have it. Good Luck unsure. Heed the sage advice of the AW mentors.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sounds like you were reading my ATJ, Gatordev. :D

Which totally proves my point. There's lots of you out there that experience the "unpleasantness."

...My suggestion to help you get over it, go to the spin chair. It's there to help you, not hurt you or your flight career. It helped me big time, only puked once after the chair (PA 1, enough said). Anyway, the chair will help you get over your airsickness, it will help you relax and have fun in the air.

Talk it over with your onwing/class advisor. Let them know it might be better for you if you tried the chair. Don't give up, no matter what. PM me if you want more info.

Snacks

Sometimes it's not always up to the student or even higher up than that to "decide" if it's time to go to the chair. Not to disparage its usefulness. I'm glad it worked for you. Just wanted to put that out there that it's not always an allowed option (and I"m talking over the span of years, not specifically at this time).

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
DaRevrend: Agreed, nice post, buddy.

I have never puked in a plane, or even been close fro more than about 15 seconds. Granted, that will probably change someday, but my point is I don't know how awful that must be.

I have a friend who I believe is doing pretty well in jets now who said he was constantly airsick through the primary syllabus.

I also have a friend who just hated flying and was like a little ball of stress every time I talked to him. He is out of the Navy.

I also have friends who I think didn’t study enough or take flight school seriously enough (who am I to judge that, but for the sake of this post I’ll go ahead and make the above statement). Some are still flying, some aren’t. But more are than aren’t.

I guess all I have in the info that what will happen is case-by-case. Good luck!

wrk

How many flights is a "few flights"? On Fam 1 a was so horribly sick I actually thought I might die. My airsickness got better as time went on, but it wasn't until late stage Fams that I was comfortable, and I still battled airsickness into forms. I had to redo my last PA check ride because I got sick. I actually got sicker than I ever have on my first flight in the TC-12 in intermediate as well. If a "few flights" is only Fam 3 or 4, then I'd say just stick it out until you fail something because of your airsickness. The thing that'll help the most is flying more, and every day if possible. You'll probably get over it, just give it some time.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I don't know about the airsickness or the actual flying proficiency parts, but I do know a way to help you learn technical data. The study group idea is excellant, but if you can't find one, get a video camera and give breifings to the camera as if you were trying to teach a class on the subject. Then watch your breifings and critique yourself.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'll comment on the airsickness thing. Keep yourself busy, but don't over load. If you give yourself something to do, it does 2 things: 1. It keeps you ahead of the plane and 2. It keeps your mind off of the fact that your stomach is going stupid. Do things like set up the next navaid or review an approach you're going to shoot... something productive to the conduct of the flight.

Try it. May not work, but its one more tool you can have in your pocket to make the flights go smoother.

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
It's a chair that's mounted (STS) on top of an electric motor that spins you around. As you spin, you'll move your head up, down, left, right, and look side to side. You'll spin in one direction for about 10 minutes, then another 10 minutes in the other direction. The first couple of times you won't feel so well afterwards...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
It's a chair that's mounted (STS) on top of an electric motor that spins you around. As you spin, you'll move your head up, down, left, right, and look side to side. You'll spin in one direction for about 10 minutes, then another 10 minutes in the other direction. The first couple of times you won't feel so well afterwards...

That thing... don't forget about the moving lines that try to confuse you even more... that thing was actually kinda fun. (If we're talking about the thing you do in API.

Cheers,
Bubba

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
but if you can't find one, get a video camera and give breifings to the camera as if you were trying to teach a class on the subject. Then watch your breifings and critique yourself.

Probably works well but i know i never had that kinda time. My method was similar however. I'd print out the gouge and cross reference the pubs and pull out the stuff i thought was pertinent to the brief, learn it, and then spend the rest of the evening verbalizing it out loud to myself as i do other tasks, doing the laundry, walking around, showering, etc.

I probably looked pretty stupid sitting there talking to myself but if i found gaps in my own brief then i'd go reread that crap. It helps with that whole 'engaging the brain with another task' thing, and would give me a flow that i'd use in the brief.

I never got sick in primary so i can't relate but everyone is there to help you get through it.

And yeah, wtf is STS?

@Bubba, i think they're talking about the spin chair they send you to in primary if you get sick. Again though i never saw the thing for which i'm very thankful. The spin stuff in API though...oh man...the memories....