• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens to wash-outs?

Unsure

Currently a student in Primary with a few flights under my belt.

I get airsick on each flight, and I am so far behind the aircraft its
not even funny. I get so nervous to fly that I'm nauseous as soon as I
wake up in the morning.

I chairfly, I study harder than my classmates, and I am putting more
effort into flight training than anything I have ever done before. And
I'm still behind all of my class in comprehension and flying
proficiency.

Can someone just give me the straight poop on what currently happens to
wash-outs? Or DORs? I've heard so many stories, from different angles
and different sides. Is there anyone who can just tell me if I
washout: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENS TO ME? At this point, I just want to
stay in the Navy. I don't know what I would do in the civilian world.
Is it possible to transition to a different warfare rating at all
anymore? Anyone who has done this within the last few months who still posts and can answer me here?

I feel like a flipping failure already, so please no flames about not
being able to hack it. I'm just trying to see what will happen to me if
I wash, because climbing out of a plane drenched in sweat and vomit
everyday is taking a toll on me. And even my airsick companions get out
of the plane with a smile on their face... I have yet to experience
ANYTHING fun in the air. And I'm starting to think flying is not for
me.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Breathe..

Here is an interesting post awhile back.. Pretty good responses. No one said primary was easy or fun. Everyone has had rough flights.

I am not sure what is happening to folks now who are washing out, but I suggest you let "them" decide you are not going to fly anymore.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Relax.
Early Fams arent fun nor are tehy meant to be. IF you know your stuff they will work with you, you might not be as jacked up as you think you are.
Try to relax and not go into it thinking you will screw up and be behind, when they start throwing thngs at you take a breath . loosen your grip, think for a second then act/talk. You will think it took an eternity but it wont have.
Good luck and dont quit

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't think about alternate employment before they tell you that's where you're going. Mentally, you'll get used to the idea of attriting, and you won't fight as hard to avoid it. BTW, I've heard the Navy's been sending some of it's non-rate JOs to individual augment billets in Iraq--take that for what you will. Flight school is probably more fun.

You need to take it easy. You sound as if you're virtually in the middle of having panic-anxiety disorder. If you really do have that, that the military in general might not be your game. On the other hand, a lot of people have never done a truly challenging, high stakes event like flight training. It takes getting used to.

You need to take a step back and relax. I went a step beyond chair flying--we actually spray-painted the airfield to scale on our lawn. Yes, now I'm the crazy guy, but it worked like a champ in fams actually walking through the pattern.

If briefs are killing you, STUDY IN A GROUP. A serious group, not the ones that break to go to the titty bars after an hour. A lot of time you can read the material 1000 times and think you're solid, but explaining it to someone else is the real test. Embarrassing yourself to your bud is better that showing your ass to an IP.

Above all, once you've done everything you can possibly do, there's a point where you just freaking DO IT, and what happens happens. Just say "What the hell...what's the worst that can happen? I'll die? Oh yeah, I'm in an airplane, that COULD actually happen." Seriously, though, just prepare, give it an honest try, and take the cards you're dealt. Quitting and failing generally end you up in the same place. Don't give the man the satisfaction, unless you're sure in your heart that aviation isn't your gig.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Dude, try not to sweat it as much. I give the guys who get airsick and keep going a lot of credit, because that sucks. I know a bunch of people who got airsick. They worked with them as long as they could. In a lot of cases they got them good enough where they finished the program and moved onto advance. There were a few cases where they weren't sucessful and those people were NPQ'd. This happened back when they were letting people go. Recently (ie within the last couple months), I know attrites and DORs that got redesignated SWO- they claimed things had changed and the Navy was no longer letting anyone out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To go along w/ what Zippy is saying... Know that you're not the first one to be going through this, especially the airsickness. As a class advisor, I go through students jackets (as we all do) and there was one student where I would just watch the air sickness card get longer and longer. The student stuck with it and got through it. More often than not, you will get acclimated. Know that there is more than one IP that took a while to get used to it when coming back, as well.

What everyone else said, too. Good stuff above.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, if you haven't already, go see the flight docs about it. There's a program for airsick prone folks and they can give you meds for it on a short term basis. Talk to your IPs and get the help that's available to you at medical.

Brett

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I concur with the above. It sounds like you are making matters worse on yourself with the stress. I know its hard for people to do, but you need to force yourself to relax. All that stress will make you sick on its own, much less when you throw in flights in a T-34. If you cant cope with the stress on your own, talk to your advisor/onwing. Seek out the Fleet and Family Service center. They have programs specifically designed to help you cope with stress. They actually forced a friend of mine to take time off, see the flight doc and the FFSC to learn how to deal with stress and help him study.

Also, the best way to learn something is to try and teach it to someone else. Get your friends together and give each other briefs on the briefing items. Or just get a whiteboard and pretend you are briefing an instructor. That is the best way to learn things, and get used to the stress of briefing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, if you haven't already, go see the flight docs about it. There's a program for airsick prone folks and they can give you meds for it on a short term basis. Talk to your IPs and get the help that's available to you at medical.

Brett

It's actually part of the MTPS curriculum to do that. Hopefully the AF is following the rules.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think this is about airsickness at all. Phrogdriver kind of hit upon it already.

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
I am not trying to be a jerk, or a downer here, but if you have yet to experience ANYTHING fun in the air, you may be right that flying is not for you. Early FAMs, or Primary in general, is not made to be fun, but I think that if you aren't having fun you are doing something wrong. I'm wrapping up the C42XX block getting ready to check and I'm still having a blast on each and every torturous flight. I have never experienced a hint of air sickness, so I can't imagine how ****ty that must make things, but it doesn't sound like it's just the air sickness here.

Take at least one time every flight to look around and see how lucky you are for the opportunity you are being given. Work Area 1 and check out the view of the water. Enjoy a sunset once you are safely on the rules on the ride home. Go ahead and "turn like you mean it" a few times when you are out manuevering around instead of just pulling a lazy 45 AOB. Heck, just enjoy the cool factor of hearing yourself work the radios or take a peak up in your rearview and see YOU visor down learning to be a military aviator.

I agree with most of the posts above, and wish you the best of luck. Fight for what you want, and let the IPs determine when your time is up. Everyone, including the IPs, are here to help you earn a set of wings. In the end, the Big Man will make sure you end up where you need to be.

Rev

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
As a class advisor, I go through students jackets (as we all do) and there was one student where I would just watch the air sickness card get longer and longer. The student stuck with it and got through it.

Sounds like you were reading my ATJ, Gatordev. :D

I had tremendous problems with puking (never happened before until the T-34). I even puked while on the no-puke drugs. The best feeling is completing an early Fam flight without puking. It puts that thought in the back of your mind that you can do it again. Also, it helps you relax in the plane. My suggestion to help you get over it, go to the spin chair. It's there to help you, not hurt you or your flight career. It helped me big time, only puked once after the chair (PA 1, enough said). Anyway, the chair will help you get over your airsickness, it will help you relax and have fun in the air.

Talk it over with your onwing/class advisor. Let them know it might be better for you if you tried the chair. Don't give up, no matter what. PM me if you want more info.

Snacks