• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think makes a "bad" leader?

What is the worst trait of a bad leader?

• Total voters

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Probably just hasn't got promoted that high yet. They're out there.

Like RADM Freddie "Fielday" Fellows at Miramar (ComFitAEWWingPac) in the late '70s. He was singlehandedly responsible for a huge exodus of talent at that time. Read Monroe Smith's "Roger Ball" for more info (except that his name was changed in the book to something else).
At least he didn't get any higher than a two-star.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Or MajGen Mike Ryan, USMC(ret). Former CG, 2MAW (there's a shocker). Universally despised by all Harrier guys (and he was one).

Or LtGen Delong, USMC(ret). He introduced himself to a room full of Harrier guys as "Mike Ryans best friend". Below for SA. You literally could have heard a pin drop.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or LtGen Delong, USMC(ret). He introduced himself to a room full of Harrier guys as "Mike Ryans best friend". Below for SA. You literally could have heard a pin drop.

Huh? Please explain for the unwashed.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Did you read the blurb immediately above that one? Where I said that he was universally hated by every Harrier pilot?

He might as well have said "I play golf with Satan".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you read the blurb immediately above that one? Where I said that he was universally hated by every Harrier pilot?

They don't call me Flash for nothing.......;)

The best I have heard of in the Navy was fired on ADM Mullen's first day as CNO, I know several people that had dealings with him and the stories apparently are true.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Doesn't suprise me with this guy. Maybe it's just my experience but 70% or so of the leadership I've seen in my almost 16 years active duty has been crap. Just because one has a check in the box on a piece of paper doesn't mean that person can lead.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Just because one has a check in the box on a piece of paper doesn't mean that person can lead.

I was wondering how the Navy would do with a 360 performance review, or a peer input into fitreps. My first thought is that it would be disastrous (as fellow J-holes can hurt you), but nonetheless interesting. Maybe just as an unoffical tool to say "Hey skipper, this guy is a tool...just thought you should know."

Leadership is very hard to quantify for fitrep purposes. If a bad leader is evaluating another guy for leadership, what's the standard? Just because LT XX made a tracking tracker and meticulously and expertly managed the FY08 4th quarter OPTAR fuel money thus saving the command over 95 milllion hours and 7.5 billion dollars doesn't mean he/she could lead anyone. The fitrep form itself doesn't address leadership well. IMO the only way to truly capture if a guy is a good leader is observation and input from those he leads. I don't think that's the standard now.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was wondering how the Navy would do with a 360 performance review, or a peer input into fitreps. My first thought is that it would be disastrous (as fellow J-holes can hurt you), but nonetheless interesting. Maybe just as an unoffical tool to say "Hey skipper, this guy is a tool...just thought you should know."

Leadership is very hard to quantify for fitrep purposes. If a bad leader is evaluating another guy for leadership, what's the standard? Just because LT XX made a tracking tracker and meticulously and expertly managed the FY08 4th quarter OPTAR fuel money thus saving the command over 95 milllion hours and 7.5 billion dollars doesn't mean he/she could lead anyone. The fitrep form itself doesn't address leadership well. IMO the only way to truly capture if a guy is a good leader is observation and input from those he leads. I don't think that's the standard now.

Agreed. I've heard some rumor of the Navy moving towards a peer type of evaluation, including those who you lead. Certainly would change the dynamics of things.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed. I've heard some rumor of the Navy moving towards a peer type of evaluation, including those who you lead. Certainly would change the dynamics of things.

I think it would scare some folks shitless.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't think that this would necessarily give accurate input. Sometimes you have to make decisions that your subordinates will not like, even though the end result is good for them.

IMO the only way to truly capture if a guy is a good leader is observation and input from those he leads. I don't think that's the standard now.
In the business of fighting wars, I would say a good leader is someone who ensures that his men are in prime fighting condition and understands warfare tactics and strategy enough to win battles. Everything else is secondary to that. Since we're most likely not going to face a full scale Naval war anytime in the near future, it becomes increasingly difficult to discern who those people are.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think that this would necessarily give accurate input. Sometimes you have to make decisions that your subordinates will not like, even though the end result is good for them.

In the business of fighting wars, I would say a good leader is someone who ensures that his men are in prime fighting condition and understands warfare tactics and strategy enough to win battles. Everything else is secondary to that. Since we're most likely not going to face a full scale Naval war anytime in the near future, it becomes increasingly difficult to discern who those people are.

That's all great in theory, but in the real world, leaders have to make tough choices about how to use scarce time and resources. Do I train my aircrew so that they can be the very best tactical aviators, or do I do what the T&R matrix tells me to do because I need to be C-1 to deploy? Those two desirable things are oftentimes in conflict with each other, so when you say that "everything else is secondary to that," you really don't know what you're talking about. Squadron leadership is all about compromise and resource management so as to get the best war-fighters you can with the resources you've been given. It's rarely as idealized as you make it out to be. The reality is that you're going to deploy with nuggets who aren't trained enough in the mission areas they're going to be expected to perform, and senior aircrew who haven't had the opportunity to reach the level of currency/proficiency in those mission areas when they're the ones the nuggets will turn to for advice. I doubt that it had ever been very different in Naval Air, but with longer deployments and shorter turn-around times, leaders are being faced with increasingly difficult choices.

Brett