• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think makes a "bad" leader?

What is the worst trait of a bad leader?

• Total voters

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_G._Leftwich,_Jr.

Sounds like the guy was a stud his whole life. Like I said, it was my opinion, it will stay my opinion, just as you are entitled to your opinion, whether it differs with mine or not. I won't give empirical evidence to back up my opinion there isn't any (just like there is no proof of love, hate, God, or heaven, you either believe or you don't) and I won't try to disprove yers.

SkywardET

Contrarian
I would say that the worst trait is the nanny leadership trait. If any of you have been in a base in Japan recently, you might be familiar with it. The options presented by the OP are obviously not leadership traits, but nanny leadership is a genuine trait taught and used in the real Navy right now; not some easy ethics 101 question.

When you have grown adults being checked up on by other grown adults to see if their daily liberty plan is being followed, you have failed as a leader.

OldNavy

I voted for inconsistancy.

I would rather work for someone who's an asshat 24/7, that someone who is Mary Poppins one day and Lizzie Borden the next

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great replies and stories. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
A few folks mentioned "taking care of your people" but it is important for nuggets to understand that that doesn't just mean providing positive support (FITREPS/Evals, awards, the right training, career advice, etc) for your good folks. Taking care of your people also means fixing your problem children (if it can be done), or taking them out behind the barn if it can't.

Don't be the guy who sends his problem downstream for another person/command to deal with. If your PO1 shouldn't be a Chief don't give him an eval that will help him. If your 2P shouldn't make HAC be honest with him and your COC.

Another fatal flaw that I am too lazy to boil down into a couple of words: don't be the guy who thinks he is indispensable to the Navy. If a CNO can die in office and the Navy stayed afloat, then it isn't going to end if you don't come to work one day. Nothing is more annoying than that LT/LCDR who acts like the squadron cannot run if he doesn't have a hand in everything that is going on. If a CO is like that, then at least they have an excuse; a JO who acts like that is just a useless tool.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A few folks mentioned "taking care of your people" but it is important for nuggets to understand that that doesn't just mean providing positive support (FITREPS/Evals, awards, the right training, career advice, etc) for your good folks. Taking care of your people also means fixing your problem children (if it can be done), or taking them out behind the barn if it can't.

Don't be the guy who sends his problem downstream for another person/command to deal with. If your PO1 shouldn't be a Chief don't give him an eval that will help him. If your 2P shouldn't make HAC be honest with him and your COC.

Thats good advice. Many of my enlisted folks felt the best guy was the nicest guy, the one letting them do whatever. Don't fall into that trap. You can take care of your people and yet keep the order and discipline in line. No need to be a tyrant but I always felt kindness was often perceived as weakness. There's that line you just don't want to cross. I was the hammer when they did something wrong. I also had to hammer one of my JO's. That was bad enough but he brought it on himself even with a multitude of warnings.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Kmac couldn't leave the Admiral's daughter alone, could he!

Still not sure if Kmac likes boys or girls :confused: It wasn't kmac but he knows who I speak of. That dude hates my guts. It wasn't personal, he was going to hurt someone. I actually couldn't put a stop it. I tried but the front office rarely listened to me. They let him through and when the next OIC decided it was time for him to come home from cruise early, only then did they take action. That OIC was a "Golden Boy" while I was more like the red headed step child. Ah, Bunk doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I remember my first boss (as an Officer). Micromanager and definately out for himself. He asked me to falsify USN documents (PRT measurements on a fat ass LCDR). I wouldn't do it; he ended up changing the numbers himself.

FIVE consecutive CPOs asked to be reassigned because of him. Somehow one would think that the C of C would recognize this and do something. So, at our next annual specialty meeting, the senior guy pulls me into his office and asked me what I thought. I told him. The very next guy in line was my boss.....that bad paper followed me for years.

Oh, the guy.... it was suggested to him that he would promote faster if he switched to a different branch withing BUMED. He did, and kept his ways. Eventually retired as an O-6. Prior to becoming a BUMED weanie, he quit the flight program (NFO) with one flight to go because "I didn't want the guy in front of me to be responsible for killing me".

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... the senior guy pulls me into his office and asked me what I thought. I told him. The very next guy in line was my boss.....that bad paper followed me for years. ......

Great lesson here:). BTDT. Suicide.

Don't like you boss? Tell him(her) not her(his):eek: boss, nor those that you lead, either for that matter. Like or do not like, is not the question. Loyalty is. The whole tribe is out there watching and waiting to see their boss display disloyalty to his/her boss.

WOLFSON

I think it goes without saying that many of these traits go hand in hand, such as dishonesty-inconsistency-play favorites etc. Also, I do not have enough experience in the Navy yet to judge multiple people within in my various (2) chains of command of their individual leadership style's pros and cons. With that said, I do have a fair amount of experience on the civilian side and leadership being leadership, this conversation shouldn't be limited to just the uniformed services.

Communication is a huge factor in how well a person can lead a group of people when working together to accomplish an objective, whether it be bombs on target or numbers on excel sheets. Honesty is up there too, but the ability to communicate is really the oil that can drive the machine.

One of my former bosses, a serious a-hole whom I initially hated for the way he treated me and the rest of us INFERIORS taught me a handful of very important lessons that I hope to retain when the time comes for me to lead. Communication is the cornerstone of how to run a successful goal oriented project.

Communication works both ways, before you can learn how to talk, you need to learn how to listen, I mean REALLY listen. 95% of people don't truly listen, they are really just waiting for their chance to speak. When this occurs vital pieces of information are being lost, forgotten, or disregarded. A good leader in my mind must have the ability to listen to what his subordinates are saying and is not just hearing what he/she wants to hear or is waiting for their opportunity to say what they think. If you can take in and process all of the pertinent info and then clearly and concisely communicate back instructions/opinions/directions, etc, things will go way more smoothly. This work top to bottom and bottom to top.

Also, along those lines, a good communicator will always make sure that they will provide an open/available forum for discussion and in some cases confession to their subordinates. I read a good article on this in an 'Approach' magazine a while ago the gist of which is:

[FONT=&quot]"Bless me XO, for I have sinned …"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Approach, Nov-Dec, 2005[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I sensed it was wrong from the moment I finished. While what I had said was true, the forum and my manner were wrong. At an AOM, in a latter-day episode of "True Confessions," a junior officer had related an experience from his past weekend's cross-country which involved landing at a field fraught with dangers. Taking advantage of the XO's next-to-last work spot in the AOM lineup, I had "slam dunked" the JO for poor headwork and get-home-itis. In looking around, though, uncomfortable expressions covered the faces of the other JOs, as if to say, "If he hadn't admitted it, he wouldn't have been chewed out." I could sense that in the future, they all might be reluctant to admit to errors in judgment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Having mulled this over that night, I called the JO into my office the next morning to explain that, while I still thought that he had displayed bad judgment, the public defaming was not warranted; I encouraged him to continue to share such (hopefully rare) instances from which we could all benefit. At the next AOM, I also explained this to the assembled horde."[/FONT]

I feel that mission/project success is greatly reliant upon these factors of communication, not just the public, inspirational, and motivational speaking skill set. When information is smoothly being sent from the top down to the bottom up, all involved will feel benefited by it.

Old Yellowstain had a many issues, one of which being poor communication.

Sorry for the diatribe, I don't know how you all keep your responses to less than 5 paragraphs. I guess I need to work on my communication skills.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Communication works both ways, before you can learn how to talk, you need to learn how to listen, I mean REALLY listen. 95% of people don't truly listen, they are really just waiting for their chance to speak. When this occurs vital pieces of information are being lost, forgotten, or disregarded. A good leader in my mind must have the ability to listen to what his subordinates are saying and is not just hearing what he/she wants to hear or is waiting for their opportunity to say what they think. If you can take in and process all of the pertinent info and then clearly and concisely communicate back instructions/opinions/directions, etc, things will go way more smoothly. This work top to bottom and bottom to top.
Definitely agree there. Boils down to ego, I think. Someone lets their position go to his head, and suddenly he's too "important" to listen to anyone else.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I would say that the worst trait is the nanny leadership trait. If any of you have been in a base in Japan recently, you might be familiar with it. The options presented by the OP are obviously not leadership traits, but nanny leadership is a genuine trait taught and used in the real Navy right now; not some easy ethics 101 question.

When you have grown adults being checked up on by other grown adults to see if their daily liberty plan is being followed, you have failed as a leader.

Ah, you must be referring to the now formally encouraged "Intrusive Leadership," formerly called, "lack of trust in one's people."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
IMHO they are born. You can't teach integrity, honesty, boldness, decisiveness. Just like you can't cure stupid. No science to back that up, just my gut after watching my kids on the playground interacting with other kids. My son gets what he wants, my wife and I are the same way, as was my dad and grandpa.

Lol....alright Ricky Bobby :p