• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think makes a "bad" leader?

What is the worst trait of a bad leader?

• Total voters

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As I read the list, I could literally hear my DIs phrases telling (more like yelling) us to do the opposite of all the above choices.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It seems like the "universal opinion" choice would be the worst out of those choices. Just my opinion but when your don't take into consideration the voices of your peers, disaster looms.

Just something I plan to avoid when I become a "Military Manager" in the future.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
All of those traits are bad, but I think that inconsistency is the worst.

You're a micromanager? Fine. We can work through that.

You're a screamer? OK. We'll learn to deal with that.

If you change your style, direction, or attitude every day the squadron and your staff will never figure out how to anticipate your intent and will always be behind.

A consistent asshole can be dealt with. An inconsistent "great guy/satan" will be a trainwreck.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No doubt in my mind that failure to communicate ranks right up there. This includes not putting out important information, or putting it out too late for anyone to act upon it with any measure of effectiveness; failure to communicate expectations or give proper direction - expecting subordinates to be mind-readers, then chastising them when they come up with solutions which differ from the commander's. Those are among my biggest frustrations and have continually been the most complained about things among JOs in my several commands. If you think you're communicating enough, redouble your efforts at every opportunity.

Brett

I couldn't agree more with this, Brett.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A consistent asshole can be dealt with. An inconsistent "great guy/satan" will be a trainwreck.

One of my old CO's was upset with a bunch of awards that were turned in. He wanted them redone so he had the XO gather all of us O-4's and above in the conference room to re-do them. This was about 0800. Only thing was, he didn't say what was wrong with them or what he didn't like. They just had a big green X through them. We would re-do them, hand them it and back they would come with the X. In the end, one by one we peeled out of there, the last of us leaving at 0200 or so. He was certainly an inconsistent type, I would say calm one minute/satan the next.

To make a long story short, same CO wanted to see the instruction he signed about the grading process for the squadron. When I presented it to him, he went off the deep end, screaming at me (he was already angry), telling me it wasn't his signature. Over and over, he yelled he didn't sign that and I needed the find the actual document he signed. How do you deal with that? He was an O-6 by the way.

Bevo16

pilot
After reading this, I was about to get up and walk around the office to see if one of my co-workers was logged in as "Big Iron" and they were posting about the traits of our boss.

On the serious side:

I have a definition argument with the terms of the poll. Those traits are not "bad for a leader", they most often disqualify people from being able to lead and reduce them to simply being naval officers in a higher pay grade in a supervisory role. True leadership is never given by virtue of position alone. "Lead" is a verb, and leadership is the execution of that verb. It has nothing to do with collar device and title.

When we find ourselves working for people who are the walking embodiment of the "Peter Principal", it is up to us to fill in the gaps and provide the direction needed by those who we are responsible to lead.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I think honesty/integrity covers most of the others. But this is the voice of no experience here, so take that for what it's worth.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Obviously, I don't have military experience yet, but having worked for a few Lumbergs, I am going to have to go with "DISHONESTY" by far. All of the other traits listed signify poor leadership, but like many of you have said, they can be "dealt" with accordingly. It may suck, but it's usually universally understood among the commoners how things should be taken with a grain of salt or brushed off because he/she's having a bad day or yada yada yada.

On the other hand, when someone is not morally bound by the truth, there's no telling what they are capable of creating or destroying.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Over and over, he yelled he didn't sign that and I needed the find the actual document he signed. How do you deal with that? He was an O-6 by the way.

Did he also mumble something about strawberry ice cream?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My biggest concern a leader is accountability, all the way up and down the chain. I want a guy, when the shit gets bad, to say "This is my responsibility, I will get it done" and then do it. I also want a guy to hold his subordinates and superiors accountable, personally, both for good and bad deeds. I want the chest lettuce handed out to the junior E's who do the work, not the fucking O-1 who was Divo and handed down the order. I want the O-3 who is willing to go to bat for his LPO/LCPO when they make a decision that OPS/ADMIN doesn't like, and will not wilt under pressure because "That's the way it's always been done"

Too many times in "todays Navy" I see people willing to jump the chain and bitch when they don't get their way, instead of having the balls (or ovaries, ladies) to tell the person they have a problem with what they think. This mindset of "the guy above me is right because he writes my fitrep" is fucking bullshit. If you think something is wrong, say something, and HAVE A SOLUTION. Don't just whine about it.

Whooo...long week, sorry about the rage guys.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I cast my vote(s)...but, IMNSHO, by far the worst trait a leader can have is not taking care of his people.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Well, did not find the real culprit, fear. Afraid of the Admiral, afraid of failure, afraid to make a decision.

A real leader has no fear. Not afraid to send bad new up the chain, will not hesitate to climb up the mast to take a look at that antenna coupling, 3 out of 4 props are feathered and there is calm in his/her voice, decisions are made and does not fear asking for advice, when appropriate. You look at them with confidence, knowing that when the chips are down he/she will be there doing what it takes to ensure positive outcomes.