• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think makes a "bad" leader?

What is the worst trait of a bad leader?

• Total voters

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doing some research into Navy leadership and what/where the common shortfalls are. I've unfortunately seen far more under-developed leaders than the leaders that can actually lead, inspire and motivate.

1. What traits can you identify with bad leaders?

2. What traits do you think are essential to good leadership for Navy officers?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I would say out of all my damn votes (practically ALL) I would say my top trait is takes credit for other's work, and to add to that "throws subordinates under the bus" when the shit hits the fan.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I would say out of all my damn votes (practically ALL) I would say my top reason is takes credit for other's work, and to add to that "throws subordinates under the bus" when the shit hits the fan.
So HONOR, Courage, and Commitment is just something to deviate from....got it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No doubt in my mind that failure to communicate ranks right up there. This includes not putting out important information, or putting it out too late for anyone to act upon it with any measure of effectiveness; failure to communicate expectations or give proper direction - expecting subordinates to be mind-readers, then chastising them when they come up with solutions which differ from the commander's. Those are among my biggest frustrations and have continually been the most complained about things among JOs in my several commands. If you think you're communicating enough, redouble your efforts at every opportunity.

Brett

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
All those things make a pretty bad leader, but inconsistency can cause a lot of confusion as to what is and is not expected or acceptable in the working environment. I also think it goes hand in hand with does not communicate well. Dishonesty makes a horrible leader.

B

Blutonski816

I think above all, honesty is the biggest point...
And from the votes, I'm sure you'll all agree.

Integrity is a necessary principle and value for any leader wether in the military or in civilian life.

I would say out of all my damn votes (practically ALL) I would say my top trait is takes credit for other's work, and to add to that "throws subordinates under the bus" when the shit hits the fan.

Agreed. A leader should credit their subordinates for their victories and be willing to take the full responsibility for their shortcomings.

2. What traits do you think are essential to good leadership for Navy officers?

My rule of thumb has always been JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
When in a leadership position, "When you think you got it all figured out, is when your head is the farthest up your ass".

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Tough one to narrow down. A good leader to one person is a bad leader to another. I'll use an example of a CO I was unfortunetly privy to not so long ago. The JO's loved him. Why? He never did anything, never put any pressure on them, got in their britches, nothing. What else didn't he do? He didn't lead, ever. He never spoke at safety stand downs or barely said a word after award ceremony's. When he did talk at AOM's, he would often end sentences with "I don't know"...such as lets be the best we can be..I don't know. It was some sort of nervous tick. He rarely flew and told OPS not to schedule him with nuggets at the boat. He certainly had favorites and shielded them while throwing out anyone who wasn't a favorite. He sat in his office all day long, answering emails, pretty much staying invisible. So from my perspective, he was an absolute horrible CO and leader. From a JO's perspective, he was awesome being he never bothered them.

I had an old CO who was without a doubt, the hardest man I've worked for. He used to scream, yell and call me names all the time. Not just me, everyone who worked for him. I did his change of command and it was painful. He also was not a good communicator in front of large groups. However, he was a man of his word and if you worked hard, he took care of you. He didn't lie or bullshit. The man could fly as well, had 5000+ flight hours in the E-2/C-2 and C-12.

Another Skipper was a brilliant communicator. The man could use words to inspire. Made the sailors feel good and when the time came, such as a Captains Mast, it would get rough for the sailor standing in front of the podium. However, behind closed doors, he did nothing but talk shit about all his officers to other officers. I witnessed it, others witnessed it. He was not a man of his word. He, IMO, was not a honorable man or a man with integrity.

Had tyrant for a CO as well. I'd compare him to God in the First Testament. An angry, vengeful, could do no wrong CO and would fuck your career in a heartbeat. He too couldn't lead children to the bathroom. He was the ultimate politician though. He could play the game and my guess is, he will put a star on one day.

The very best leader I've know, was an O-5 who didn't screen. This individual could fly an airplane; an excellent orator; said what he meant and meant what he said; was a shit screen from the tyrant mentioned above; took care of his people; kept his word; etc. Type of guy who I would have followed to hell knowing I wasn't coming back. Of course he didn't select for command, go figure.

snake020

Contributor
All of them are bad, but the mission killers are ineffective communication, inconsistency, and dishonesty. As I've experienced with one ex-supervisor (who cried when he didn't get a Bronze Star for shuffling papers,) nothing gets done when nobody understands the expectations of a rabid and inconsistent boss or can trust him. It was amazing how many problems and their solutions were suddenly "discovered" and brought to the new squadron CO's attention after the change of command and quickly fixed.

Some of the others are mostly dealing with ego. The mission can more easily work around those.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Trust. Both ways, up and down the chain.
Are you your brother's keeper?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Jeez, did you have any more than ONE good CO (not even a CO)? Something to lighten up the horror stories for us newbies just getting started...

You'll likely have good, bad and indifferent in your career. I had a couple good ones but I have to say they were Intruder guys (and both Pilots FWIW and one a USAF TPS Grad and one an Empire TPS grad). The best I could say out of the Prowler community was indifferent and one that was truly evil.

DH's good, fair and bad and one that was outstanding and now a Carrier CO.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Jeez, did you have any more than ONE good CO (not even a CO)? Something to lighten up the horror stories for us newbies just getting started...

Define good? Remember, I'm from the COD community. Being a COD CO is kind of like being (to quote a famous line) the smartest kid with down syndrome. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I know of one COD Skipper, I flew with him, from the other coast who was beloved by all who served with him. I served under an old COS on the boat who was the same way, a former COD pilot, E-2 Skipper and Skipper of the FRS. My first OIC was a very good leader IMO. Took care of his people, was a shit screen, good speaker, etc. He retired last year and never made O-5, go figure. Good leaders are out there. It's just that in my experience, it's at about a 25% rate...meaning those who were good leaders and made it to command. Again, my experience is with a certain community only though. It may certainly vary with the other communities. Not like we get legends like this in my old community..

RO.jpg

BTW, kudo's to BigIron for what I think is an excellent topic.